• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Strat guy just got a LP - pup switching advice?

Gahboo

Hi, I’m a new member. Just got a LP after being a strictly single coil guy. I bought a nice used 2014 Traditional husk that’s pretty beat up. I do restoration and refinishing so it’s a project for me and since I don’t trade my guitars, resale value isn’t an issue. I don’t have much experience with Humbuckers.

I bought a set of Fralin Modern PAFs for it and am wondering about wiring options. Typically, I like a lot of tonal options on a guitar, so I was thinking of doing something like the PRS type wiring with the rotary switch.

Question: Are these Fralin Modern PAFs well suited to that type switch setup? Sorry for my ignorance, but I really don’t know what to expect. I have great single coil guitars, so I don’t really think simple coil splitting is going to satisfy me tone wise because I’ve never heard a split humbucker that sounded good to my ears. Hence my thinking that the PRS rotary switching would be better because it pairs various coils. Are the Fralin Modern PAFs a good pickup choice for implementing the PRS 5 way switching? If the “non-standard” tones are anemic or weak, I’d rather save $50 on the switch and just wire it normally.

Thanks for your input.