The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

Deadspots after shimming

Hey all,
    I have a gorgeous '64 Jazzmaster ( https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nH...Pkhk-CuP6UWUpx) on which I recently had the neck shimmed. The neck angle just wasn't right and the action was ways too high in the upper part of the neck.
    Now it plays beatutfully, but there are several deadnotes around the 12th fret (particularly the G string) that I know weren't there before.
    Is this a known issue? I can imagine how shimming might lead to that, but is there any potential solution? Like slightly moving the shim, using a different material or a smaller shim?
    Or is it basically a choice between a bad neck angle or deadspots (at least in this particluar case)?
    Any tips would be highly appreciated!!
    Cheers + stay healthy all!

Between Nothingness & Eternity (or Colo Spgs)

Re: Deadspots after shimming

If you had someone shim the neck I'd give him a call and tell him what's going on. Otherwise sometimes just a little turn on the trussrod will do the trick. I mean like 1/16th to 1/8th of a turn. Sometimes a truss rod adjustment isn't apparent for a couple of days. You can also try raising the offending sting saddle a hair.
    Drivin in my car, Smokin my cigar
    The only time I'm happy's when I play my guitar...

Les Paul Forum Member latestarter's Avatar

Nice custom colour JM!

Yes to a small tweak on the truss rod, and/or you could try StewMac full size neck shims.

https://www.stewmac.com/Materials_an...or_Guitar.html

In theory they emulate what a custom angled neck pocket would do. I have made my own full sized shims previously...but these are super easy.

Are you still able to order things in the USA and have them delivered? What about lockdowns?
    Otherwise known as Grant.

Les Paul Forum Member

I second the stew mac shims, they make sure you retain full contact and avoid that your neck develops a small ski slope at the 20th fret

and yes upto last week I was able to order from the US and get it delivered to my doorstep. some companies like Warmoth have a complete shutdown I believe but others are still open for online shopping

Thanks all, great advice!
    I'll mess with the trussrod tonight and change the shim next time I change strings. Currently it is just a piece of plastic at the back of the neck pocket. I'll try a full sized maple shim, maybe that'll help.

All Access/Backstage Pass Wilko's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fakejake View Post
    Thanks all, great advice!
    I'll mess with the trussrod tonight and change the shim next time I change strings. Currently it is just a piece of plastic at the back of the neck pocket. I'll try a full sized maple shim, maybe that'll help.
    your plastic shim is fine. Might not be the "best" but noone could tell tyhe difference if your neck is set well.

Once the neck is set and frets are level, all other adjustments are the same--it's not the shims fault. Action is set at the nut, saddles and relief. pretty basic stuff.

Enjoy