• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Throbak Kossoff pickups

spidey

Hi Everyone
I'm very interested in these pickups. Has anybody here tried them and if so what are their thoughts.

Thanks.

TM1

I have a set I’m going to install in a 1960 Melody Maker. I’ll let you know!
But... Jon @ ThroBak does Not make any bad sounding pickups...

flatdream

I bet it is great pickups. the price too...

spidey

Thanks TM1. I'm a huge fan of Kossoff and I'm very interested in these pups. However they're expensive and I'd really like to see Yt demos or hear some user reviews before I decide. I'm not questioning Throbak's quality btw.
Thanks.

King Minimoose

I got a set of Hot Koss pickups from Rewind. I loved the neck but didn't like the bridge; I think it was too hot. There are other winders that make Koss inspired pickups; Wizz, Sigil, and Rewind. They aren't cheap but they're definitely cheaper than Throbak.

duaneflowers

I got a set of Hot Koss pickups from Rewind. I loved the neck but didn't like the bridge; I think it was too hot. There are other winders that make Koss inspired pickups; Wizz, Sigil, and Rewind. They aren't cheap but they're definitely cheaper than Throbak.

I have the final set of of Wizz Koss prototypes before they went into production and they kick ass... I had a chance to hear them side by side with the Koss Burst and they really nail it!! :salude

TM1

Jon @ Throbak had Koss's guitar to take all the measurements from. There's way more than just D.C. Resistance folks: You have Inductance, [FONT=&quot]Capacitance[/FONT]<style><!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-536870145 1107305727 0 0 415 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-536859905 -1073732485 9 0 511 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin;} span.EmailStyle15 {mso-style-type:personal; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-unhide:no; mso-ansi-font-size:11.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; color:windowtext;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:10.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt;}size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;}</style>, A.C. Resistance, magnet type and magnetic Gauss, D.C. resistance of each coil. The magnet can give one reading say on the G string and another on the Low E, etc. Magnets, especially old ones do not read the same on the whole bar. I have a set of P-90's in my R-4 Les Paul. This set is from 1953 and they sound wonderful! But the Gauss readings are fairly weak in one spot and strong in another. There's 2 bar magnets in every P-90 but only one magnet in a humbucking.

spidey

TM1 - yes, it's the fact that Throbak had the Koss guitar to examine the pickups and to make and compare and tweak prototypes until they were happy that piques my interest. The guitar that I'm thinking of putting them in already has great pups - Jim Wagner's Crossroads, which I've been very happy with since I fitted them when they were all the rage on this forum. However if the Throbak Koss pups are as good as I hope I'm v interested!

Thanks

TM1

TM1 - yes, it's the fact that Throbak had the Koss guitar to examine the pickups and to make and compare and tweak prototypes until they were happy that piques my interest. The guitar that I'm thinking of putting them in already has great pups - Jim Wagner's Crossroads, which I've been very happy with since I fitted them when they were all the rage on this forum. However if the Throbak Koss pups are as good as I hope I'm v interested!

Thanks

I'm waiting for a pickguard for this. Should be here this week and then I'll know. I've been a fan since 1971 and Andy Fraser was a friend of mine the last 5-6 years he was alive. A good friend who lives close, Terry Wilson played bass with Koss after Free broke up until he passed.

ezra1

I am interested in how you like them.
I had Fuelie wind me a set chasing Kossoff and later Sigil wound me the first set of his take on Kossoff.

spidey

I'm waiting for a pickguard for this. Should be here this week and then I'll know. I've been a fan since 1971 and Andy Fraser was a friend of mine the last 5-6 years he was alive. A good friend who lives close, Terry Wilson played bass with Koss after Free broke up until he passed.

Thanks for the update, that's great. Looking forward to your thoughts once you've tried them.
I'm a big fan of Andy Fraser and Back Street Crawler, the band Terry Wilson played with Koss in. I'm very impressed with the company you keep I must say!!
It's amazing to think Andy was only 15 when he joined Free. Amazing bass player but also a great songwriter too.

Thanks TM1

TM1

Guitar is done!! It sounds amazing just acoustically!! The pickups sound [FONT=&quot]Phenomenal[/FONT] !! I doubt there will ever be a need to replace these with anything else. I'm just using this guitar for slide!! The balance between the two pickups is really good! But the clarity and overtones are wonderful!<style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-536859905 -1073732485 9 0 511 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin;} span.EmailStyle15 {mso-style-type:personal; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-unhide:no; mso-ansi-font-size:11.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; color:windowtext;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:10.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt;}size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;}</style>

spidey

HI TM1 - thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts. I'm pleased to hear you'e impressed with the pickups!
They sound great.

Thanks

Fried okra

Jon Really nailed the pickups. He and I worked hard to get them right for nearly two years. No one else has had the Kossoff burst to compare any replica pickups except Gibson Custom, and they didn’t look under the hood, just took resistance readings. I’ve had the Kossoff burst since Arthur Ramm owned it and no one has had the Kossoff burst to compare them too but me. And trust me, Jon nailed it. I would like to add the following. We could only compare them to the post repair PAFs that Sam Li did when he repaired the guitar where broken (Post Free, session work and Back Street Crawler era). The pre Sam Li repair version Jon designed was based on the stock neck pickup and guess work on the bridge pickup. (Free era) Koss acquired the burst in Mid September 1970. October 20, 1972 at the Mayfair festival he broke the guitar which resulted in damage to the Bridge PAF. Hence the two versions of PAFs. :salude

spidey

Jon Really nailed the pickups. He and I worked hard to get them right for nearly two years. No one else has had the Kossoff burst to compare any replica pickups except Gibson Custom, and they didn’t look under the hood, just took resistance readings. I’ve had the Kossoff burst since Arthur Ramm owned it and no one has had the Kossoff burst to compare them too but me. And trust me, Jon nailed it. I would like to add the following. We could only compare them to the post repair PAFs that Sam Li did when he repaired the guitar where broken (Post Free, session work and Back Street Crawler era). The pre Sam Li repair version Jon designed was based on the stock neck pickup and guess work on the bridge pickup. (Free era) Koss acquired the burst in Mid September 1970. October 20, 1972 at the Mayfair festival he broke the guitar which resulted in damage to the Bridge PAF. Hence the two versions of PAFs. :salude

Hi Fried okra - thanks for your reply and you're input I really appreciate it. I loved Koss's tone on the first Back Street Crawler album in particular which I'm guessing was your guitar. I also love the tone that Arthur Ramm gets on the guitar on the YT demos.
I need to go and count my pennies!

Thanks

CK6

Hi Fried okra - thanks for your reply and you're input I really appreciate it. I loved Koss's tone on the first Back Street Crawler album in particular which I'm guessing was your guitar. I also love the tone that Arthur Ramm gets on the guitar on the YT demos.
I need to go and count my pennies!

Thanks

Did you ever end up getting these? Apparently the neck measures higher than the bridge - does this mean it is louder?

TM1

CK6: no imbalance at all. They sound very even. You can adjust the pickup heights to even them out, but with both up close, it’s pretty well balanced. Love the sound of this set!

CK6

CK6: no imbalance at all. They sound very even. You can adjust the pickup heights to even them out, but with both up close, it’s pretty well balanced. Love the sound of this set!

Ok cool, cheers & glad that they worked out! I like the way the pickups sound post repair and would most likely opt for that set.

spidey

Did you ever end up getting these? Apparently the neck measures higher than the bridge - does this mean it is louder?

Hi, no I didn’t. My ‘available funds’ went on an R9 :)
However I’m really interested in these. I’m in the UK and they’re very expensive so would really want to hear a demo before I spent that kind of money.
Koss is my main man so I’m sold on the concept, I just want to hear them.