• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NGD- Darkburst Flametop R6

gio

Hey all,

I had some trade in credit from Dave's for close to a year. I had been biding my time, waiting for a "special" guitar. I was looking for a P90 guitar, originally an R4 in a custom color. Had thought about going to Made to Measure. But, couldn't decide on a color.

Well, this guitar popped up a couple weeks ago and I went for it. No wraptail, but it had P90s. And in a darkburst, which I've wanted for a while, too.A little confusion on the year. Dave's had it posted as an '18, but when I called they thought it was an '08. Black COA, Black case, serial number 68087. All originally paperwork, but the space for the date on the warranty card is blank. I am guessing it is an '08. I am waiting to hear back from Gibson to confirm the year. Can't find a scratch or dent on it.

It has a slimmer neck than other R4-R8s that I have played. Measured at .89 on the 1st fret. Definitely feels a bit slimmer than my Knopfler and Haynes LPs. Darkburst (bourbon burst?). Flame top with some nice grain. I don't love overly flamed tops, I like seeing other grain in there. So I was super happy about that. Very dark fretboard with a bit of a reddish tint to it. The guitar is not light (9.5 lbs), but not bad. It is extremely resonant unplugged and sustains a long time. It plays fantastic. The unfortunate thing is I am in the middle of a move, so I don't have any of my amps with me. So plugging it in will have to wait.

Maybe one of you had owned this before me. Any thoughts on the year?

FeW9P6C.jpg

DIfCWyN.jpg

FJeVTSo.jpg

Victory Pete

Looks nice, I would love to try one of these with P-90s. Enjoy the NGD, mine has been a NGW and may turn into a NGM if this crisis continues.

pqs

That’s the perfect R6 in my opinion. I absolutely love darkbursts. I know it might not be period correct, but darkburst.

Black case and no date on the checklist screams 2008. Recent years Gibson’s been more diligent in filling in the date. However, most older year guitars I’ve come across the date on the checklist were left blank. Is the COA a booklet or a big orange diploma sized certificate? I can’t remember when they switched to the booklet, but if it’s the diploma sized certificate it’s definitely not a 2018 model. Because of the pandemic, I don’t know if you’ll be getting an answer from Gibson anytime soon.

ej.

Very nice! I really like that color too. Does it have the medallion switch cover, or just the plastic cover?

gio

That’s the perfect R6 in my opinion. I absolutely love darkbursts. I know it might not be period correct, but darkburst.

Black case and no date on the checklist screams 2008. Recent years Gibson’s been more diligent in filling in the date. However, most older year guitars I’ve come across the date on the checklist were left blank. Is the COA a booklet or a big orange diploma sized certificate? I can’t remember when they switched to the booklet, but if it’s the diploma sized certificate it’s definitely not a 2018 model. Because of the pandemic, I don’t know if you’ll be getting an answer from Gibson anytime soon.

Booklet. Same as my Haynes Les Paul, which is an ‘07.

Very nice! I really like that color too. Does it have the medallion switch cover, or just the plastic cover?

Plastic

GreenBurst

I'm not familiar with 2018 vs. 2008 specs, but the no-wire ABR-1 was introduced again starting with 2009 Historics. Your s/n is an early an early year number (6 8087). So I'm guessing that it is a 2018. Not having any visible dings or wear would also support that. I see you have a Gibson box, is there anything on it that would help with year identification? Is your s/n on it?

Looks great! Enjoy.

gio

I'm not familiar with 2018 vs. 2008 specs, but the no-wire ABR-1 was introduced again starting with 2009 Historics. Your s/n is an early an early year number (6 8087). So I'm guessing that it is a 2018. Not having any visible dings or wear would also support that. I see you have a Gibson box, is there anything on it that would help with year identification? Is your s/n on it?

Looks great! Enjoy.

That box is just one that Dave's shipped it in. I also posted on TGP to see if I could find anyone who owned the guitar before me. And did! They indicated that it was an '08. And that Gibson had produced a handful of the darkburst R6s around that time, though they have not seen another with the figured top like this one.

Freaking sexy!

Questions, is the intonation on and fret nibs?

Intonation is great. No issue there. Yes, there are nibs.