• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Why are there a lot of used 2019 R9 for sale in the market?

Pitman907

Just wondering about this. Compared to the previous years of R9's, the 2019 R9s are everywhere online for sale. They hold their price of course, but there are so many of them. What do you guys think?

Victory Pete

Having just bought another 2018 RO, I did a lot of research into the 2020 models. Except having the 60th Anniversary badge, I see no difference.

C-4

I see this happening as well.
I have a M2M R9 from 2018, and a 2019 60th Anny R9, and love both of them.
I am thinking that maybe either the buyers didn't like the guitar after they had it awhile, or thought they didn't need an expensive guitar.

The only other reason I can think of is that they needed money.

While I'm sorry to hear that these guitars were sold, I love mine and find them both to offer me something I cannot get from the USA production models.

markguitar

Les Paul Forum Member
Just wondering about this. Compared to the previous years of R9's, the 2019 R9s are everywhere online for sale. They hold their price of course, but there are so many of them. What do you guys think?

Where do you see all of these used 2019 R9's for sale? Nothing much on eBay or Reverb. And I don't see that many for sale on either of the LP forums. There are still new ones available and there are actually some orders that Gibson will still be building for 60th Annv. R9's.

Pitman907

Where do you see all of these used 2019 R9's for sale? Nothing much on eBay or Reverb. And I don't see that many for sale on either of the LP forums. There are still new ones available and there are actually some orders that Gibson will still be building for 60th Annv. R9's.

Hi Mark. There is actually a lot on Reverb used. Most of them of course is in Mint or Excellent condition. I agree that it might be mostly a money issue. I doubt that it is quality/sound/tone issue at all. I don't have one yet, but based on reviews and testimonies of folks who have the 2019 R9s, it is very promising.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
56 on Reverb using: 2019 59 Les Paul

There are 885 using: 59 Les Paul

That's 6.3% 2019 models out of 28 possible years of historic production.

That seems like a lot to me.

Tim Plains

Having just bought another 2018 RO, I did a lot of research into the 2020 models. Except having the 60th Anniversary badge, I see no difference.

2019/newer have factory paper in oil caps and no wax on the pickups. Not a big deal for guys who modify guitars but I think it's huge for collectors who keep them 100% stock.

Victory Pete

2019/newer have factory paper in oil caps and no wax on the pickups. Not a big deal for guys who modify guitars but I think it's huge for collectors who keep them 100% stock.

Yes, I am curious about those caps. My recent 2018 RO made in December doesn't seem to have wax but my older 2018 RO does, I want the wax. Does anyone have a link to those actual caps?

markguitar

Les Paul Forum Member
56 on Reverb using: 2019 59 Les Paul

There are 885 using: 59 Les Paul

That's 6.3% 2019 models out of 28 possible years of historic production.

That seems like a lot to me.

Yeah, look a little closer at those listings. almost half of them are brand new from one big dealer. Then there are about 10 that are not actually 2019’s.

vintage58

One difference between 2018 reissues and reissues from 2019 and 2020 is that the "Les Paul MODEL" silkscreen on the 2019s and 2020s is, IMO, positioned a bit too far toward the 'moustache' of the headstock. This difference is easy to notice if you look at the position of the "M" in "MODEL," relative to the D-string and G-string tuner posts. The 2019/2020 silkscreen position reminds me of the 2006/2007 silkscreen position, which IMO was likewise too far toward the moustache portion of the headstock. Whereas the 2018 silkscreen position looked better, in my opinion.

Victory Pete

One difference between 2018 reissues and reissues from 2019 and 2020 is that the "Les Paul MODEL" silkscreen on the 2019s and 2020s is, IMO, positioned a bit too far toward the 'moustache' of the headstock. This difference is easy to notice if you look at the position of the "M" in "MODEL," relative to the D-string and G-string tuner posts. The 2019/2020 silkscreen position reminds me of the 2006/2007 silkscreen position, which IMO was likewise too far toward the moustache portion of the headstock. Whereas the 2018 silkscreen position looked better, in my opinion.
Too me that change is of no significance.

vintage58

Why are there a lot of used 2019 R9 for sale in the market?
This same question could likewise be asked without "2019" being included in it. I think the basic answer is that over the last quarter-century or so, Gibson produced about thirty million Les Paul reissues. People then: (1) buy them brand-new; (2) passionately declare, at time of purchase, that the particular guitar they bought is, without question, The Greatest Les Paul Reissue Ever Made; (3) get tired of the same guitar the minute the next calendar year's reissues come out; and then (4) proceed to list their treasured 'be-all, end-all' reissue for sale, as used. It's a definite process. There are guys out there (probably the same hundred guys, actually) who have likely enacted the preceding four steps multiple dozens of times in their lives. The end result is a ginormous number of used Les Paul reissues that sit unsold for months (if not years) on places like eBay, with asking prices that are not especially different — and, in some cases, actually even higher — than the same guitars' prices when they were brand-new and unsold. I'm glad I lost interest in that whole process, as it's a good way to lose money. Also, potential buyers of used Les Paul reissues (many of them, at least) are, IMO, among the world's most exasperating tire kickers and cork sniffers, thereby adding to the tedium.

El Gringo

Oh yeah I have noticed this on my 2019 R8 versus my 2 2018 Brazilian R9's which look regular to me .

corpse

I think alot of people with any piece of gear are most likely to flip it in the first 12-18 mos as they chase the next new thing. Then you don't see them. You used to see tons of 2012's- now not as much.
What you really don't see are JTM 45's from the first reissue years. I should have kept mine.

Pitman907

I think alot of people with any piece of gear are most likely to flip it in the first 12-18 mos as they chase the next new thing. Then you don't see them. You used to see tons of 2012's- now not as much.
What you really don't see are JTM 45's from the first reissue years. I should have kept mine.

Very good point my friend. That makes a lot of sense. Especially at this price point.

pqs

A lot of mint and excellent conditions on Reverb are actually new. Maybe they’re floor model or maybe a way for the seller to list bellow MSRP without breaking any price listing rules or both. Anyways, I absolutely love mine. I’ll sell all my gear before I ever sell my 60th Anniversary R9.

fredrogers75

My (very) uneducated guess is that there were a whole bunch of peeps who bought them specifically because they were "60th anniversary models" and maybe they thought there would be more demand?