• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Why are there a lot of used 2019 R9 for sale in the market?

PHILBERT

One difference between 2018 reissues and reissues from 2019 and 2020 is that the "Les Paul MODEL" silkscreen on the 2019s and 2020s is, IMO, positioned a bit too far toward the 'moustache' of the headstock. This difference is easy to notice if you look at the position of the "M" in "MODEL," relative to the D-string and G-string tuner posts. The 2019/2020 silkscreen position reminds me of the 2006/2007 silkscreen position, which IMO was likewise too far toward the moustache portion of the headstock. Whereas the 2018 silkscreen position looked better, in my opinion.

I see that too. I like my 2018. Killer resonance. Got ThroBaks with much nicer pickup covers. Killer!

Now I just have to change those ugly Kluson translucent tuner tips for that set of Uncle Lou's I bought 10 years ago.

Phil

TommyQ

Going on two years later, I see fewer 60th Lesters -- new or used -- on Reverb. Some of them are in colors that didn't catch on and some are overseas. Prices have climbed steadily. No doubt, there is something about the '19s. I have two and have no desire to sell even though I'm 76 years old... -L-
Lesters 2.jpg

60thR0

The obvious answer is they all moved on to Murphy Labs. Amateur collectors thinking these are investments, probably jumped on the 60th Ann. bandwagon.. I mean these are an “exact clone” so the perfect time to dive in, and then BAM they get hit with Murphy labs so have to upgrade again…

Last edited:

Gino753

The 60th, will definitely go up in value and be special later on.The Murphy lab, are just aged standard Historics with a hint of Toms name on them.

The 60th is a standard Historic, with “Anniversary, imbedded in its serial.

The 2019 will go up, in my humble opinion.

An actual TM painted , aged model..will be a step up, but the 2019 still have “Anniversary” imbedded in its DNA

Pat Boyack

The 60th, will definitely go up in value and be special later on.The Murphy lab, are just aged standard Historics with a hint of Toms name on them.

An actual TM painted , aged model..will be a step up, but the 2019 still have “Anniversary” imbedded in its DNA
I doubt it. The 50th anniversary 2009s haven't gone up in price and that was a big year for historical correct improvements. There just to many Custom Shop Standards.

Gino753

I doubt it. The 50th anniversary 2009s haven't gone up in price and that was a big year for historical correct improvements. There just to many Custom Shop Standards.
Yes, but i was thinking in 20 years or so.Who knows ..we will see

axeman565758

I actually see the opposite. Guys were getting huge money for 40th's 15 years ago. The demand for those (and subsequently, the prices) have leveled or even dropped in most cases. The 50th's aren't an "in demand" piece anymore and neither will the 60th's. Gibson has produced a gazillion 60th's. Nothing special about them, other than they happened to be built in 2019 (R9's) or 2020 (R0's). No special colors, no special electronics. Just regular, good 'ol R's..!!
As for the Murphy Lab's, again, a million of those, that the buying public will tire of within a year. I mean how unique is your guitar if 5000 other guys have the exact same guitar?
Stop looking (hoping) your Historic will be a money maker/investment. You'll have better luck with scratch-off's at 7-11 or at the track.!!!

Gino753

I actually see the opposite. Guys were getting huge money for 40th's 15 years ago. The demand for those (and subsequently, the prices) have leveled or even dropped in most cases. The 50th's aren't an "in demand" piece anymore and neither will the 60th's. Gibson has produced a gazillion 60th's. Nothing special about them, other than they happened to be built in 2019 (R9's) or 2020 (R0's). No special colors, no special electronics. Just regular, good 'ol R's..!!
As for the Murphy Lab's, again, a million of those, that the buying public will tire of within a year. I mean how unique is your guitar if 5000 other guys have the exact same guitar?
Stop looking (hoping) your Historic will be a money maker/investment. You'll have better luck with scratch-off's at 7-11 or at the track.!!!
Yeah i agree,

I mean for me….i bought my 3 Historics, because i always dreamed of having them.I dont buy for investment anyway.

Like Joe Bonamasa basically said.If your buying ..in his case real ones, because you think your going to make a profit later on, then dont do that.

Buy it because you really want it.I will die with my guitars, thats just how it is.

TommyQ

Yeah i agree,

I mean for me….i bought my 3 Historics, because i always dreamed of having them.I dont buy for investment anyway.

Like Joe Bonamasa basically said.If your buying ..in his case real ones, because you think your going to make a profit later on, then dont do that.

Buy it because you really want it.I will die with my guitars, thats just how it is.
I think the 20192 are different enough from previous efforts that they will be special. The pickups are different, the top carve is a bit more accurate, the neck is different and perhaps the Gibson logo is different.

What is different in a wrong way for me is the "Ls Paul model" silkscreen. It's bit high but, more importantly, the color is all wrong.

So, I want to make this clear, it's al YMMV. If I can get my $$$ out of the guitars if I ever sell them, I'll call it good. One thing for sure: they really nail the Lester tone that I recall from the early '60s when Bursts were just starting to catch on.

corpse

I always make money selling amps- rarely selling guitars- only on non-CS LP's, a Yngwie Custom color strat, and a HM that I bought for a great price. I have always taken a big hit on CS stuff that was mainly bought new.
Shrug.
I still feel like I have profited from every bit of it.

axeman565758

I always make money selling amps- rarely selling guitars- only on non-CS LP's, a Yngwie Custom color strat, and a HM that I bought for a great price. I have always taken a big hit on CS stuff that was mainly bought new.
Shrug.
I still feel like I have profited from every bit of it.
good point....and same here. Since 2002, I have bought, sold, played, set up, repaired (light finish repair type stuff) CS Gibsons (Historics, ES mmodels) CS Fender and Guild guitars, as well as a number of amps.
At this point, I'd say I'm way ahead in the profit game, but more importantly is what I have learned. That knowledge has no price. I'm glad I drove myself nuts for 18 years, because now, I have 3 M2M Gibsons ( and a few CS Fenders and a few amps) that I spec'd myself. These are never going anywhere. Kinda nice to be out of the rat race. Now All I have to do is enjoy them.!

Any Name You Wish

What I have heard from a couple of dealers is that the Covid years created a huge demand for guitars. People stuck at home picked up their instruments again and many used the government Covid money/checks to put toward their dream guitar. I would not be surprised to see the used market flooded with custom shop guitars (Gibsons and Fenders) in the next few years. As I recall, the used guitar market was really soft before Covid hit. As one of my bandmates said back then "you don't hear a lot of guitars in new pop music today when stopped at a traffic light."

akstrat61

In my crystal ball, the guitars of today will likely keep up with inflation and the cost of similar quality guitars of the current time. Rember the production numbers in the late 50’s and 60’s were far smaller than the numbers produced today. The exception being some of the Artist and CC models. MHO. Like many people have said, buy today guitars because you like the tone and the playability, not diversify your portfolio.

El Gringo

I can't believe folks that buy R series guitars and count the future $ that they think they will make which of course is a fools errand .

Gino753

I can't believe folks that buy R series guitars and count the future $ that they think they will make which of course is a fools errand .
Well for me, the reason im so anal about my guitars is because ,the ones i buy..i buy because i want them and plan to die with them.

I was just giving my opinion, as to possible future collectibility’s, witch may or may not be the case.

Perhaps im wrong, but i still got what i want, and thats the most important thing