The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1

    Why are there a lot of used 2019 R9 for sale in the market?

    Just wondering about this. Compared to the previous years of R9's, the 2019 R9s are everywhere online for sale. They hold their price of course, but there are so many of them. What do you guys think?

  2. #2
    Les Paul Forum Member BurstFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    111

    Re: Why are there a lot of used 2019 R9 for sale in the market?

    That's easy: because the 2020 Gibsons are better!

  3. #3

    Re: Why are there a lot of used 2019 R9 for sale in the market?

    Having just bought another 2018 RO, I did a lot of research into the 2020 models. Except having the 60th Anniversary badge, I see no difference.

  4. #4
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,668

    Re: Why are there a lot of used 2019 R9 for sale in the market?

    I see this happening as well.
    I have a M2M R9 from 2018, and a 2019 60th Anny R9, and love both of them.
    I am thinking that maybe either the buyers didn't like the guitar after they had it awhile, or thought they didn't need an expensive guitar.

    The only other reason I can think of is that they needed money.

    While I'm sorry to hear that these guitars were sold, I love mine and find them both to offer me something I cannot get from the USA production models.
    On s'électrise:
    Tension maximale
    Les corps-circuits...
    De deux amants
    On s'illumine
    Lumière animale
    L'école de l'é...
    ...lectro-aimant.
    La France a les plus belles femmes, le pays et la culture sur la planète. Personne ne peut correspondre à la beauté d'Alizée.

  5. #5

    Re: Why are there a lot of used 2019 R9 for sale in the market?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pitman907 View Post
    Just wondering about this. Compared to the previous years of R9's, the 2019 R9s are everywhere online for sale. They hold their price of course, but there are so many of them. What do you guys think?
    Where do you see all of these used 2019 R9's for sale? Nothing much on eBay or Reverb. And I don't see that many for sale on either of the LP forums. There are still new ones available and there are actually some orders that Gibson will still be building for 60th Annv. R9's.

  6. #6

    Re: Why are there a lot of used 2019 R9 for sale in the market?

    Quote Originally Posted by markguitar View Post
    Where do you see all of these used 2019 R9's for sale? Nothing much on eBay or Reverb. And I don't see that many for sale on either of the LP forums. There are still new ones available and there are actually some orders that Gibson will still be building for 60th Annv. R9's.
    Hi Mark. There is actually a lot on Reverb used. Most of them of course is in Mint or Excellent condition. I agree that it might be mostly a money issue. I doubt that it is quality/sound/tone issue at all. I don't have one yet, but based on reviews and testimonies of folks who have the 2019 R9s, it is very promising.

  7. #7
    All Access/Backstage Pass Wilko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    19,745

    Re: Why are there a lot of used 2019 R9 for sale in the market?

    56 on Reverb using: 2019 59 Les Paul

    There are 885 using: 59 Les Paul

    That's 6.3% 2019 models out of 28 possible years of historic production.

    That seems like a lot to me.

  8. #8

    Re: Why are there a lot of used 2019 R9 for sale in the market?

    Quote Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
    Having just bought another 2018 RO, I did a lot of research into the 2020 models. Except having the 60th Anniversary badge, I see no difference.
    2019/newer have factory paper in oil caps and no wax on the pickups. Not a big deal for guys who modify guitars but I think it's huge for collectors who keep them 100% stock.
    Tim

  9. #9

    Re: Why are there a lot of used 2019 R9 for sale in the market?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Plains View Post
    2019/newer have factory paper in oil caps and no wax on the pickups. Not a big deal for guys who modify guitars but I think it's huge for collectors who keep them 100% stock.
    Yes, I am curious about those caps. My recent 2018 RO made in December doesn't seem to have wax but my older 2018 RO does, I want the wax. Does anyone have a link to those actual caps?

  10. #10

    Re: Why are there a lot of used 2019 R9 for sale in the market?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wilko View Post
    56 on Reverb using: 2019 59 Les Paul

    There are 885 using: 59 Les Paul

    That's 6.3% 2019 models out of 28 possible years of historic production.

    That seems like a lot to me.
    Yeah, look a little closer at those listings. almost half of them are brand new from one big dealer. Then there are about 10 that are not actually 2019’s.

  11. #11
    Les Paul Forum Member vintage58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Detached and subdivided in the mass-production zone.
    Posts
    3,937
    Quote Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
    Having just bought another 2018 RO, I did a lot of research into the 2020 models. Except having the 60th Anniversary badge, I see no difference.
    One difference between 2018 reissues and reissues from 2019 and 2020 is that the "Les Paul MODEL" silkscreen on the 2019s and 2020s is, IMO, positioned a bit too far toward the 'moustache' of the headstock. This difference is easy to notice if you look at the position of the "M" in "MODEL," relative to the D-string and G-string tuner posts. The 2019/2020 silkscreen position reminds me of the 2006/2007 silkscreen position, which IMO was likewise too far toward the moustache portion of the headstock. Whereas the 2018 silkscreen position looked better, in my opinion.
    "And it seems to me perfectly in the cards that there will be, within the next generation or so, a pharmacological method of making
    people love their servitude, and producing . . . a kind of painless concentration camp for entire societies, so that people will in fact
    have their liberties taken away from them but will rather enjoy it, because they will be distracted from any desire to rebel by propa-
    ganda or brainwashing, or brainwashing enhanced by pharmacological methods." Aldous Huxley, 1961

  12. #12

    Re: Why are there a lot of used 2019 R9 for sale in the market?

    Quote Originally Posted by vintage58 View Post
    One difference between 2018 reissues and reissues from 2019 and 2020 is that the "Les Paul MODEL" silkscreen on the 2019s and 2020s is, IMO, positioned a bit too far toward the 'moustache' of the headstock. This difference is easy to notice if you look at the position of the "M" in "MODEL," relative to the D-string and G-string tuner posts. The 2019/2020 silkscreen position reminds me of the 2006/2007 silkscreen position, which IMO was likewise too far toward the moustache portion of the headstock. Whereas the 2018 silkscreen position looked better, in my opinion.
    Too me that change is of no significance.

  13. #13
    Les Paul Forum Member vintage58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Detached and subdivided in the mass-production zone.
    Posts
    3,937
    Quote Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
    Too me that change is of no significance.
    Good.
    "And it seems to me perfectly in the cards that there will be, within the next generation or so, a pharmacological method of making
    people love their servitude, and producing . . . a kind of painless concentration camp for entire societies, so that people will in fact
    have their liberties taken away from them but will rather enjoy it, because they will be distracted from any desire to rebel by propa-
    ganda or brainwashing, or brainwashing enhanced by pharmacological methods." Aldous Huxley, 1961

  14. #14
    Les Paul Forum Member vintage58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Detached and subdivided in the mass-production zone.
    Posts
    3,937
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitman907 View Post
    Why are there a lot of used 2019 R9 for sale in the market?
    This same question could likewise be asked without "2019" being included in it. I think the basic answer is that over the last quarter-century or so, Gibson produced about thirty million Les Paul reissues. People then: (1) buy them brand-new; (2) passionately declare, at time of purchase, that the particular guitar they bought is, without question, The Greatest Les Paul Reissue Ever Made; (3) get tired of the same guitar the minute the next calendar year's reissues come out; and then (4) proceed to list their treasured 'be-all, end-all' reissue for sale, as used. It's a definite process. There are guys out there (probably the same hundred guys, actually) who have likely enacted the preceding four steps multiple dozens of times in their lives. The end result is a ginormous number of used Les Paul reissues that sit unsold for months (if not years) on places like eBay, with asking prices that are not especially different — and, in some cases, actually even higher — than the same guitars' prices when they were brand-new and unsold. I'm glad I lost interest in that whole process, as it's a good way to lose money. Also, potential buyers of used Les Paul reissues (many of them, at least) are, IMO, among the world's most exasperating tire kickers and cork sniffers, thereby adding to the tedium.
    "And it seems to me perfectly in the cards that there will be, within the next generation or so, a pharmacological method of making
    people love their servitude, and producing . . . a kind of painless concentration camp for entire societies, so that people will in fact
    have their liberties taken away from them but will rather enjoy it, because they will be distracted from any desire to rebel by propa-
    ganda or brainwashing, or brainwashing enhanced by pharmacological methods." Aldous Huxley, 1961

  15. #15
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Shakedown Street
    Posts
    2,921

    Re: Why are there a lot of used 2019 R9 for sale in the market?

    Quote Originally Posted by vintage58 View Post
    One difference between 2018 reissues and reissues from 2019 and 2020 is that the "Les Paul MODEL" silkscreen on the 2019s and 2020s is, IMO, positioned a bit too far toward the 'moustache' of the headstock. This difference is easy to notice if you look at the position of the "M" in "MODEL," relative to the D-string and G-string tuner posts. The 2019/2020 silkscreen position reminds me of the 2006/2007 silkscreen position, which IMO was likewise too far toward the moustache portion of the headstock. Whereas the 2018 silkscreen position looked better, in my opinion.
    Oh yeah I have noticed this on my 2019 R8 versus my 2 2018 Brazilian R9's which look regular to me .

  16. #16
    Les Paul Forum Member corpse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Cumming, GA
    Posts
    3,799

    Re: Why are there a lot of used 2019 R9 for sale in the market?

    I think alot of people with any piece of gear are most likely to flip it in the first 12-18 mos as they chase the next new thing. Then you don't see them. You used to see tons of 2012's- now not as much.
    What you really don't see are JTM 45's from the first reissue years. I should have kept mine.

  17. #17

    Re: Why are there a lot of used 2019 R9 for sale in the market?

    Quote Originally Posted by corpse View Post
    I think alot of people with any piece of gear are most likely to flip it in the first 12-18 mos as they chase the next new thing. Then you don't see them. You used to see tons of 2012's- now not as much.
    What you really don't see are JTM 45's from the first reissue years. I should have kept mine.
    Very good point my friend. That makes a lot of sense. Especially at this price point.

  18. #18
    Les Paul Forum Member pqs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    77

    Re: Why are there a lot of used 2019 R9 for sale in the market?

    A lot of mint and excellent conditions on Reverb are actually new. Maybe they’re floor model or maybe a way for the seller to list bellow MSRP without breaking any price listing rules or both. Anyways, I absolutely love mine. I’ll sell all my gear before I ever sell my 60th Anniversary R9.

  19. #19

    Re: Why are there a lot of used 2019 R9 for sale in the market?

    My (very) uneducated guess is that there were a whole bunch of peeps who bought them specifically because they were "60th anniversary models" and maybe they thought there would be more demand?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Scroll Down And Click On All Of Our Sponsors' Logos For Their Websites!



i