• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Refinishing old Epiphone LP-100. Can I even use leather dye on top of primer?

pinklitmus

Hey everyone! So I've had an Epiphone LP-100 sitting in my closet for years. It's pretty much been stripped down and taken apart. I tried working on it by giving it a refinish at the time, and I haven't bothered with it since until now. I did screw it up back then by melting off the veneer on the body (heat gun, stupid mistake I know). I decided to clean it all up today and I'd like to start painting it. I wanted to stain it with Angelus red leather dye but I have an issue with the body since it doesn't have the veneer anymore. There is a visible line from the parts glued together and I was hoping to cover it completely with white sandable primer. Would I be okay if I give it a few coats of the primer and then start staining with the leather dye? Or is that a complete no-no? Thanks in advance for the suggestions!
Also, if anyone was wondering, I got the idea for leather dye from this video and I honestly thought it looked great:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI7TU2mLvZg

cilni5D.jpg
064-Red-Leather-Dye_grande.jpg