• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1959 Melody Maker pickup (the larger one), who makes it today?

cyberprimate

Banned
I'm speaking of the original Melody Maker pickup, not the thinner ones that came in 1960. By the way, wasn't it used on the Gibson Skylark lapsteel guitar?

Capture d’écran 2020-03-23 à 15.57.57.jpg

guitplayer

this would fit. But they can make anything.
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]http://customshop.seymourduncan.com/melody-maker-humbucker/[/FONT]

PaulD

this would fit. But they can make anything.
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]http://customshop.seymourduncan.com/melody-maker-humbucker/[/FONT]

No it wouldn't, the OP is asking about the earlier pickups that were 7/8" wide, they were only used for a short time before changing to the narrower 5/8" ones that are much more common. I have never seen a modern version of the earlier pickups (doesn't mean they don't exist of course!)

guitplayer

No it wouldn't, the OP is asking about the earlier pickups that were 7/8" wide, they were only used for a short time before changing to the narrower 5/8" ones that are much more common. I have never seen a modern version of the earlier pickups (doesn't mean they don't exist of course!)

this one is smaller? it would fit. Just not quite fill the space?

PaulD

this one is smaller? it would fit. Just not quite fill the space?

It might possibly fit with an ugly looking gap around it (as would any of the widely available melody maker pickup clones) but that is not what the OP was asking for.

TM1

You might try something like a Hot Rails under the cover. The MM pickups are so bright.. Reason being is the magnet instead of laying flat under the bobbin, is on it's side so you get a very narrow spectrum which makes it sound so bright. I have a couple of 1960 MM's and replaced the pickups with full size Humbuckings!

rockabilly69

You might try something like a Hot Rails under the cover. The MM pickups are so bright.. Reason being is the magnet instead of laying flat under the bobbin, is on it's side so you get a very narrow spectrum which makes it sound so bright. I have a couple of 1960 MM's and replaced the pickups with full size Humbuckings!
He's looking for the fatter 7/8" 59 Melody maker pickup, 1960 MM pickups were the 5/8" thinner versions.

TM1

He's looking for the fatter 7/8" 59 Melody maker pickup, 1960 MM pickups were the 5/8" thinner versions.

Yes, I know! I have two of that model. The hot Rails will fit under the cover with a little help. There wasn't an exact cut-off time for that pickup (the wider one). with Gibson they used up parts they had before switching. Nothing was ever changed on the 1st of January. The `59 pickguard/pickups faded into 1960.

tarlton

I have a 3/4 student-size '59 MM and love it... that's my 'bed guitar'. It only has 4 less frets & if i play it a whole afternoon it gets to the point where i wonder why all guitars aren't that size. I don't think of it as overly bright. It's sweet sounding and a roomy reach fret-wise. The wood is beautiful for a budget axe, its thin and light. I end up starting a lot of songs on that thing.

I forget at the moment but there was a player that installed a 2nd fatty in the neck and used it for slide. It was on youtube. Sounded AMAZING.