• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Nitro finish wear on a 1997 SG

baiselmareo6

Looking at a 1997 Gibson SG Standard in ebony online.
In one of the pictures the guitar looks pretty worn down to the wood on the top body bevel. Im not 100% with a Gibson nitrocellulose finish. So I was just wondering if this is common to happen along those sharp edges on the face of the SG. The wear line is not very large. Seems to just be along the edge.
Ive been looking for pictures of SG's with similar wear and all I can find are pictures of chunks of the finish that almost looked chipped off. Ill share a picture of the guitar in question.
10.0.0.0.1 192.168.1.254 hotmail.com

Last edited:

Musicman

That would probably considered normal wear if it's bee played a lot.

El Gringo

Super secret code Welcome to the Forum !

I wish I could write and speak silent like that post (then I wouldn't get in trouble , like yesterday when someone said that I was rude and disrespectful , so I asked what it was I said ? and I was told it wasn't what I said it was my tone ! )

AA00475Bassman

I wish I could write and speak silent like that post (then I wouldn't get in trouble , like yesterday when someone said that I was rude and disrespectful , so I asked what it was I said ? and I was told it wasn't what I said it was my tone ! )
I don't like being Judged my Friend !
0hpFMWA.jpg
[/IMG]

Keefoman

Hard to read black letters on a black background, for sure... Anyway, I would expect a guitar from '97 that's been played a lot, would have considerable wear. It's a 23 year old guitar.

mdubya

My 1991 SG Special that was heavily gigged for the better part of 10 years, in bars and basement parties, mostly. It has been in several "incidents" including a couple of different tuning pegs getting broken and bent on low ceilings, getting knocked over on stage hard enough to break the wiring in the bridge pickup, playing slide on mic stands, humping the amp (Jimi style) with the guitar and so forth. The nitro is worn through on the belly cut bevel from rubbing the guitar against the amp tolex or a mic stand.

2qeHwsh.jpg

Headstock details including chips and dings. The Grovers replaced the Klusons after one of the Klusons was broken off on a ceiling. One for the Grovers was broken off on another low ceiling and replace with one of the original Klusons which is now bent, also.

fDvrSgZ.jpg

The frets show some wear, too.

i3csDkj.jpg