• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Pots, cap and pickup question?

joeperry

Recently bought a 55’ les Paul junior and was curious if there are any ways I can check the pots # without unsoldering the Leads from the pots?
I’ve attached some images so maybe some here will be able to tell what these are and if so if they are original, has been replaced, unsoliderer before etc.?
I think the cap is what is called a grey tiger cap?
Last how do I check the originality of the dogear pickup?
Is that also something that needs more than a screwdriver and a good eye or could it be that easy to just unscrew the cover and lift the pu out to have a look?
I’m not Handy at all, so I hope there’s some easy ways to check out the originality?

Best regards
Torben

Attachments

• 73AF9C0F-F098-4A0F-BF93-1D9CB94B60C6.jpg
    73AF9C0F-F098-4A0F-BF93-1D9CB94B60C6.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 39
  • 3E64E452-0361-475F-B8A6-A8F98137BD5D.jpg
    3E64E452-0361-475F-B8A6-A8F98137BD5D.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 4EACBFBD-5BF2-43E1-805B-76DABF078E97.jpg
    4EACBFBD-5BF2-43E1-805B-76DABF078E97.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 26

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
That looks original, except for the extra solder on top of the volume pot housing. It is possible the person installing it [at Gibson] had trouble with soldering the coax to the housing and moved that to the ground lug of the pot. I wouldn't be concerned.
To see the pot code numbers [which should be on the sides of the housings] you can take the knobs and the nuts off and carefully raise the pots [still soldered] enough to see and read the numbers. You might have to also take the nut off the jack to allow enough wire length to do this, Slow and careful, no big deal.

joeperry

That looks original, except for the extra solder on top of the volume pot housing. It is possible the person installing it [at Gibson] had trouble with soldering the coax to the housing and moved that to the ground lug of the pot. I wouldn't be concerned.
To see the pot code numbers [which should be on the sides of the housings] you can take the knobs and the nuts off and carefully raise the pots [still soldered] enough to see and read the numbers. You might have to also take the nut off the jack to allow enough wire length to do this, Slow and careful, no big deal.

Thank you so much Tom!
Does the serial number also indicates if it’s a 500 or 200k pots?
Best regards
Torben