The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
    Les Paul Forum Member

Pots, cap and pickup question?

Recently bought a 55í les Paul junior and was curious if there are any ways I can check the pots # without unsoldering the Leads from the pots?
    Iíve attached some images so maybe some here will be able to tell what these are and if so if they are original, has been replaced, unsoliderer before etc.?
    I think the cap is what is called a grey tiger cap?
    Last how do I check the originality of the dogear pickup?
    Is that also something that needs more than a screwdriver and a good eye or could it be that easy to just unscrew the cover and lift the pu out to have a look?
    Iím not Handy at all, so I hope thereís some easy ways to check out the originality?

Best regards
    Torben
    Attached Images Attached Images

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar

Re: Pots, cap and pickup question?

That looks original, except for the extra solder on top of the volume pot housing. It is possible the person installing it [at Gibson] had trouble with soldering the coax to the housing and moved that to the ground lug of the pot. I wouldn't be concerned.
    To see the pot code numbers [which should be on the sides of the housings] you can take the knobs and the nuts off and carefully raise the pots [still soldered] enough to see and read the numbers. You might have to also take the nut off the jack to allow enough wire length to do this, Slow and careful, no big deal.
    Pauls to the walls!

HŁter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wittrock View Post
    That looks original, except for the extra solder on top of the volume pot housing. It is possible the person installing it [at Gibson] had trouble with soldering the coax to the housing and moved that to the ground lug of the pot. I wouldn't be concerned.
    To see the pot code numbers [which should be on the sides of the housings] you can take the knobs and the nuts off and carefully raise the pots [still soldered] enough to see and read the numbers. You might have to also take the nut off the jack to allow enough wire length to do this, Slow and careful, no big deal.

Thank you so much Tom!
    Does the serial number also indicates if itís a 500 or 200k pots?
    Best regards
    Torben

A dental mirror might go a long way in helping to read the pot codes.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by joeperry View Post
    Does the serial number also indicates if itís a 500 or 200k pots?
    Best regards
    Torben
    The value should be marked in addition to the date code https://www.vintageguitarandbass.com..._pot_codes.php

Most 50's Juniors had 500K volume pots and 250K tone pots but there may be exceptions (e.g. if they ran out of 250K pots they would be likely to use 500K instead).