• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Thinking about a '50s LP Special . . .

disconnector

I'm thinking about picking up a '58 or '59 LP Special. I have a few P90 guitars but I'm dying to try out *the real thing*!

What should I look for to verify its authenticity? Is there a guide somewhere to buying vintage Specials? How risky is it to buy off of Reverb sight unseen?

I'm totally new to vintage instruments and would appreciate any help anyone can direct me towards. I've searched the forum but "Les Paul Special" get s about a zillion hits!

Thank you all!

Rich

mingus

Late '50s LP Specials are really cool!

If you are not an expert, my recommendation is to either hire one and/or purchase from a trusted source. It's always what you don't know that gets you in trouble. Buyer beware.

Ideally, do the transaction in person so you can play the guitar first. If it doesn't move you, don't be afraid to pass. While many from certain golden eras can be spectacular instruments, that doesn't apply to all of them.

zappa1777

Double cut specials have structural issues due to the neck pickup being right next to the neck joint. Lots of them have broken. Gibson realized this quite quickly so the moved the neck pickup away from the neck slightly. This is good structurally but it changes the sound somewhat. This is why I bought my 56 special over a double cut that was available. Either way they sound and play fabulously. The best vintage guitar you can hope to get for the price in my opinion but they aren't all great. Try as many as you can before you buy