• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1969-1970 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe, End of the "Vintage Era"? NEW VIDEO!

TVBob

As we know, early in 1961 the single cutaway Les Paul was discontinued due to lack of sales. In summer 1968 it was reintroduced by popular demand. The first Les Pauls produced in 1968 were almost similar to those of the Ted McCarty era. In fact the 1968 Les Pauls predate the less desirable production changes that were carried out in the following years, during the infamous Norlin mismanagement. Shortly after its reintroduction, the Les Paul slowly shifted away from the 50's concept and received distinct features. The Les Paul Deluxe, introduced in 1969, is part of this transitional process. Let’s check out these changes!

Here's the new episode BTR#27! Dedicated to all the friends guitar players, feeling in these days like lions in a cage, bound at home. I hope this video could help to soften the forced seclusion.

fernieite

Cool. thanks Bob! A friend of mine has a 69/70 gold top deluxe, so I'll send him a link! He's had it as his main guitar since the late 70's!
I used to have an early 70's cherry sunburst one in the 80's. Cool guitars. :hank

Glad to see you're doing well despite the virus threat. (esp in Italy) Stay safe man!

Progrocker111

Great guitars, the one in the clip is a 1970 one, with later than late 69 small "protovolute" type.

TVBob

Great guitars, the one in the clip is a 1970 one, with later than late 69 small "protovolute" type.

Hello Progrocker, the video shows two different Deluxes: a 1969 "conversion" without volute refinished in tobacco sunburst and an original 1970 Gold Top with small volute and Kluson tuners.