• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

EC Artist Series Neck Shape Question

stevechilders

Played a 2018 Clapton artist strat recently & felt like the neck shape was really small... my memory may be slipping but I think they used to be similar to a 57 re-issue shape years ago. Anyone else notice a reduction in the size of recent models? ( This is the non custom shop verision)

herb

That's always been my beef about that model. Plus, they're always a bit on the heavy side. I do like that TBX Noiseless pup set-up. I had a very early one in 7-Up Green that I should have hung on to. It had a slightly larger neck profile. If you look hard you can probably find one.

Right now I'm in search for a CS model. I'd really like to find a Daphne Blue one. I might look into having the CS build me a Strat with the Clapton TBX but everything else my specs. It wouldn't have to say "Clapton" on it. Wonder what they would charge?

El Gringo

The neck profile for the EC model which if it is a Custom Shop or regular US production model is similar to the 57 reissue which is a small and thin profile with the V shape .Which I always assumed was a Fender thing and I was wrong as there is a Vintage 59 Gibson Black Beauty Les Paul Custom which also has a V profile .

Tonebender

The Clapton neck is my favorite neck on the planet. They used to be a larger and more extreme V, but then they were thinned and shallowed to their current shape. I THINK the change happened in the mid 90's, but I could be wrong.

Amp360

They changed them when they went to Noiseless. The Lace models have the (imho/it’s subjective) better neck. YMMV but they’re different for sure.

ADP

The original '87-89 model is the only one to get. Typically they were sold with Mercedes pewter having the softest V, the Ferrari/Torino red had the most pronounced V's, and the 7-Up Greens were right in between. The early ones are usually light weight I have had countless.

The way they made those original LACE sensors was different as well, a different grounding technique. One of the best sounding guitars ever made for my money.

The Clapton Les Paul neck profile is super thin and near identical to a 90's Les Paul Classic.

ADP

The neck profile for the EC model which if it is a Custom Shop or regular US production model is similar to the 57 reissue which is a small and thin profile with the V shape .Which I always assumed was a Fender thing and I was wrong as there is a Vintage 59 Gibson Black Beauty Les Paul Custom which also has a V profile .
Real Les Paul Customs from the mid-50's have V shaped necks. If you want that shape today, modern Gibson refers to it as the "Colletti" carve. Collectors Choice 22 CC22 is the copy of Tommy Colletti's Black Beauty and that neck has been used many times at Chicago Music Exchange for their spec'd models.