• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Buzzing ABR-1 tuneomatic saddles

Johngonefishin

Anybody have any tricks to make the saddles on my 1960 ABR-1 tuneomatic stop buzzing, this tuneomatic does not have a retaining wire and the saddles vibrate and buzz when played, especially on the higher frets.........

Triplet

You can put a pin heads worth of superglue where you think it's buzzing. It should flake off if you adjust the saddles or gently poke with something pointy...

poor man's burst

IMO using crazy glue is a very bad idea. The proper product is Loctite 221, a low strength thread lock meant for small threads to be easily disassembled with hand tools.
If the saddles are still buzzing, one can make a saddle retainer with a G string, the retainer holding under the bridge, instead of the holes,(which are obviously missing), between the adjusting wheels and the bridge frame.

Arnold M.

IMO using crazy glue is a very bad idea. The proper product is Loctite 221, a low strength thread lock meant for small threads to be easily disassembled with hand tools.
If the saddles are still buzzing, one can make a saddle retainer with a G string, the retainer holding under the bridge, instead of the holes,(which are obviously missing), between the adjusting wheels and the bridge frame.

Purple Loctite is the one made for tiny fasteners, you'll probably have to special order it as no one ever seems to stock it anymore

Sioux

I’m no expert but I’ve read about guys using a dab of nail varnish on the offending saddles. It’s easily reversible with nail polish solvent but I would think that this is probably best done with the bridge removed.

renderit

Be awful careful with Locktite.

It will take the finish off if dripped on it.

I used to use nail polish back in the day for that.

58burst

Clear nail polish. Tightens up the tone, breaks easily and flakes off to adjust, no downside.

Maxmc

Be awful careful with Locktite.

It will take the finish off if dripped on it.

I used to use nail polish back in the day for that.
Furthermore if you're going to use anything on the bridge for this problem, and you're going to leave the bridge on, cover the finish on your guitar with something right for the job. And by right I mean NOT paper towel or cloth that could let liquid to soak through. I once dropped some superglue into a polymarble vanity basin. It dissolved the surface. Maybe taking the bridge off the guitar is the way to do it.

Johngonefishin

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions, I think I'll start with the clear nail polish method. My next question is should i apply it to just the saddle adjustment screw, or should I attempt to glue the saddle itself to the bridge ? The culprits on my bridge are the high E and B saddles and the saddle screw always seems to wiggle loose, after retightening it's good for a short while then will become loose again after playing, hopefully a little nail polish on the screw will solve this problem.

58burst

I do the screws AND the saddle ends, stops any superfluous rattling whatever- tightens up the tone noticeably i think. Guess how heavy your strings are might be relevant, i string light so downpressure on the saddles is less, works a trick-

marshall1987

I don't recall where you stated the tailpiece configuration.....

if your guitar has a stop tailpiece, I would screw it down further, increasing the breakover angle of the strings, enabling the strings to apply more down force on your bridge.

Johngonefishin

I don't recall where you stated the tailpiece configuration.....

if your guitar has a stop tailpiece, I would screw it down further, increasing the breakover angle of the strings, enabling the strings to apply more down force on your bridge.

It's a stop tailpiece, when I got it (early 60' 335) in 1980, the original owner had it strung with heavy flatwounds and after 20 years the bridge had bowed under the pressure, I was able to straighten it out and since have wrapped the strings around the stop piece to avoid the extreme angle, but the lesser angle promotes the buzzing, the stop is down all the way and the string angle looks good, I'll probably try the clear nail polish on the loose saddles and hope for the best....

Johngonefishin

Clear nail polish. Tightens up the tone, breaks easily and flakes off to adjust, no downside.

This really worked well !! I dabbed the screws and the saddle ends with clear nail polish and it did the job perfectly, no more built in fuzztone, and the tone definitely tightened up and became cleaner and clearer, thanks again !!