• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Firebird pickup inside Humbucker cover?

cyberprimate

Banned
I'm a P90 guy who knows almost nothing about humbuckers. Is it possible to insert the guts of a Firebird pickup inside a standard Humbucker casing?

grimlyflick

Seeing as you have 3 threads running asking about ‘boutique’ pickups my advice would be to contact the makers and have a chat with them about what you are trying to achieve.

I have had good experience with Monty’s and Bare Knuckles just by having a conversation with them.

Your hunt may be a lot more productive if you discuss your requirements rather than starting a thread for each maker.

Good luck.
:salude

mdubya

I have spoken to James at Rewind about doing something exactly like that; housing mini humbuckers and Firebird pickups in full humbucker sized casings. There is also the option of custom sized rings to carry standard sized Firebird and mini humbucker pickups. I have seen them, but I don't know where exactly you get them.

zacknorton

The mounting feet on the mini hb aren’t the same size as a full hb but it wouldn’t be hard to modify gel to fit.

If you’re talking about dropping an off the shelf mini under a full hb cover the mini is going to be sloppy poppy. If you kept the cover on you could make it work easy.

All the cheap mini hb’s I’ve seen are basically wax potter into their covers with no structure to speak of outside of the cover.

Why not give it a try with a cheap pickup? Not much to lose.

Keefoman

Most pickup-makers also do p90s in standard humbucker size casings.