NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
    Les Paul Forum Member

My first old Gibson guitar.

Hi guys,
    Iíve been lucky enough to own several Gibson guitars over the years, (primarily reissues nd custom shops) but all were new wood and some with more mojo than others.
    Yesterday though I decided to make a trade with some fender gear and brought this one home with me.
    -my first old wood Gibson guitar.
    Iím really happy with it and most importantly it sounds and feels better than any guitar Iíve owned so far.

Best regards
    Torben
    Attached Images Attached Images

Les Paul Forum Member

Re: My first old Gibson guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by joeperry View Post
    Hi guys,
    Iíve been lucky enough to own several Gibson guitars over the years, (primarily reissues nd custom shops) but all were new wood and some with more mojo than others.
    Yesterday though I decided to make a trade with some fender gear and brought this one home with me.
    -my first old wood Gibson guitar.
    Iím really happy with it and most importantly it sounds and feels better than any guitar Iíve owned so far.

Best regards
    Torben

Btw: how do i decode the 5 digit serial #?

Best regards

Nice! I needs me a single cut Jr.

Keep rockin' Bro!

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    Nice! I needs me a single cut Jr.

Keep rockin' Bro!

Thanks is bro👍😃
    Do you know how to decode the serial number?
    The first number being 5=(1955) but the following are they telling something about day/months and number of guitars made?

Best regards

Les Paul Forum Member thin sissy's Avatar

Awesome man! Nothing like a 50's SC Jr, they are life changing

As far as I know, the rest of the numbers (after the year) don't really tell you anything?
    Last edited by thin sissy; 03-14-20 at 09:05 AM.
    This is a song from the new album, it's a deep meaningful song this one... No, it's not whiskey in the fucking jar... Philip Lynott

Les Paul Forum Member AA00475Bassman's Avatar

Nice JR enjoy !
    Ive never confused owning a bunch of high end gear with being some kind of a guitar player I'm a hack and I love guitars !

The myth :The most disturbing thing about buying a fake Les Paul is how my research after the purchase is received by Forum members ??? 2020

The Myth: Neat wiring layouts always equate to great-sounding amps.

The Myth: If I would have lived with MOM & mooched till I was 48 I would play like Clapton !
    Think about it
    won't you ...... Please !

Les Paul Forum Member The Shifter's Avatar

A proper Jr. right there.

Les Paul Forum Member

thanks guys.
    Yeah it has dings and is well worn, the original tuners are in the case, but i guess they were not that stable and the bridge has been moved a little for stability, but I really like it, and the most important to me was that it sounded good and felt good which it shure does.
    Funny enough the neck isnít that beefy as I thought it would be on these early models... but again not too thin either so a medium size I guess

Congrats with a very cool guitar! Your name Torben makes me think you're a fellow Scandinavian...

Les Paul Forum Member

Btw: how do i decode the 5 digit serial #?

Best regards
    Looks like a 1955 model.

Les Paul Forum Member

Beautiful jr!! The figures after the year number (5) denotes the consecutive production number. So your guitar is the xxxx’th solid bodied guitar made in ‘55.

in addition, I quote ęIn 1955, Gibson forgot to reset the series of serial numbers to 0001.So they had only set the year from 4 to 5. For this reason the series of 4 digit serial numbers was exceeded after 9999.
    Hence 5 digits and no space between the year (5) and the serial number. (after 5 9999 came 510 000)

In the Zone/Backstage Pass

Torben, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship...

Go get 'em!

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Keefoman View Post
    Congrats with a very cool guitar! Your name Torben makes me think you're a fellow Scandinavian...

Thank you all for the nice replies and words❤️
    Yes, Iím from Denmark. You?

Best regards
    Torben

Thank you all for the nice replies and words❤️
    Yes, Iím from Denmark. You?

Best regards
    Torben
    Norway.

First number is the year. The rest in the total number of guitars made that year. 5 0001 would be the first one and 5 3881 would be the 3881st one. Numbers would be for standards, customs, specials and juniors combined. I'm sure someone will correct me but that's what I've always heard. Les Paul got one dollar per guitar sold so you get an idea how much money he made. It was a lot of money in the day

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zappa1777 View Post
    First number is the year. The rest in the total number of guitars made that year. 5 0001 would be the first one and 5 3881 would be the 3881st one. Numbers would be for standards, customs, specials and juniors combined. I'm sure someone will correct me but that's what I've always heard. Les Paul got one dollar per guitar sold so you get an idea how much money he made. It was a lot of money in the day

Great info there. Ok, so if I understand correctly an example would be that the vintage 58í slash burst (p8- BOTB) would be 1958=year and 3096st made?
    Never knew that if thatís how it is👍
    By the way does anyone know what to use to clean the Brazilian fretboard without doing any damage to it? Is it just a wet/dry cloth or do you guys use any type of cleaner/polisher?
    For the rest of the guitar Iíve always loved the dull cranked NOT shiny look so I guess ok just leave it that way, or would you recommend anything to clean the body and bridge/tuners too?
    Just want to make shure that Iím not going to make any damage on anything....🥺

Best regards
    Torben

Les Paul Forum Member

Forgot to say that in the guitar case there was a small bottle of Dunlop 65 ultimate lemon oil.
    Donít know if this is save to use or not?

Best regards

Les Paul Forum Member

Great info there. Ok, so if I understand correctly an example would be that the vintage 58í slash burst (p8- BOTB) would be 1958=year and 3096st made?
    Never knew that if thatís how it is👍
    By the way does anyone know what to use to clean the Brazilian fretboard without doing any damage to it? Is it just a wet/dry cloth or do you guys use any type of cleaner/polisher?
    For the rest of the guitar Iíve always loved the dull cranked NOT shiny look so I guess ok just leave it that way, or would you recommend anything to clean the body and bridge/tuners too?
    Just want to make shure that Iím not going to make any damage on anything....🥺

Best regards
    Torben
    I would never try to polish or clean the body of an old guitar. Just give it a careful wipe regularly with a soft cloth to remove dust. Anything more intense than that will just make the guitar look horrible - Leave it as is. Lemon oil may color that lovely old board, my luthier did a video on my old JM and he has some good tips:

Forgot to say that in the guitar case there was a small bottle of Dunlop 65 ultimate lemon oil.
    Don’t know if this is save to use or not?

Best regards
    It`s safe to use as long as you don`t overdo it. (As with other fretboard oils.) That beeing said, Dunlop (luckily) isn`t a true lemon oil, and in my experience Fret Doctor (bore oil) is a better choice. It penetrates the wood better and lasts longer. If the fretboard is really dirty, you can use naphta (lighter fluid) to clean it, then oil it after.

I treat my rosewood and ebony boards with Fret Doctor approximately once a year (tops). Besides that I only use a damp microfiber cloth to clean when changing strings.

However, I guess many fretboards on vintage guitars have gone through life without a single drop of oil, and are still fine, so... Still, a rosewood fretboard can dry out completely and crack. At least theoretically.

Les Paul Forum Member

Ok, thanks
    Iíll take a careful try at it with the Dunlop 65.
    How often is this recommended, I would guess not every time itís time for string change?

Last I hoped someone could help answer this question.
    The guitar had the teal low CITES documentation in the case. And at the top it says European community.
    Would this mean that Iím NOT allowed to bring the guitar outside Europe with me?
    The previous owner which were located here in Europe has signed the document, but havenít traveled with the guitar, so is the documentation still valid or would it require myself to apply for documentation and sign it myself as Iím the new owner?

Hope someone can help me with this one as well🥺

Best regards
    Torben

Ok, thanks
    How often is this recommended, I would guess not every time itís time for string change?

The guitar had the teal low CITES documentation in the case. And at the top it says European community.
    Would this mean that Iím NOT allowed to bring the guitar outside Europe with me?
    The previous owner which were located here in Europe has signed the document, but havenít traveled with the guitar, so is the documentation still valid or would it require myself to apply for documentation and sign it myself as Iím the new owner?

Best regards
    Torben
    The document is still valid. Every instrument just have to go through the CITES application once. If you travel to US I think you have to apply for another travel document though, but Iīm not 100% shure how or if it can be done.

Ok, thanks

Best regards
    Torben
    No need to oil the fretboard at all really. Still, it can be a nice feel with a freshly oiled fretboard, but once or twice a year is more than enough. Add some oil with a q=tip or a cloth, and wipe away the excess more or less straight away.

As for CITES with instruments, the regulations are now lifted, so you don`t have to worry about that.

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zappa1777 View Post
    That is not correct for the "50's era ink stamps". Models were numbered in batches, so a Junior with 5-1234 might be earlier than a Custom with 5-1188.
    Best guess I have is 40 pieces per batch. But maybe 6 batches of Juniors were being built while one batch of Customs.
    Add to that Specials, TV's and "Standards".

We do know that when they went past 9999 they wrote them like 510000, filling the open gap. If you had a 6 digit version you can assume it is later in the year.
    Pauls to the walls!

HŁter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wittrock View Post
    That is not correct for the "50's era ink stamps". Models were numbered in batches, so a Junior with 5-1234 might be earlier than a Custom with 5-1188.
    Best guess I have is 40 pieces per batch. But maybe 6 batches of Juniors were being built while one batch of Customs.
    Add to that Specials, TV's and "Standards".

We do know that when they went past 9999 they wrote them like 510000, filling the open gap. If you had a 6 digit version you can assume it is later in the year.

Great info, all of it, really appreciate it.
    The junior really sounds great and the weight is pretty light, being 3,38 kg so wouldnít bust my back either
    The guitar has a nice growl to it but the bass E string to me is a liiiittle bit dark sounding, not really muddy just dark... I keep thinking that Iíll might just be used to the opposite Tele single coils and my ears just have to get used to the beefier p90ís
    By this it came to my mind, just out of curiosity, is there anyway you can adjust the height of a dogear p90 or are they unajustable?
    Last, is it possible to somehow check the pu originality without unsoldering stuff etc.? And does this require major tech skills and tools, or only a screwdriver and patience?
    I guess these pus are not serial numbered but would have to be identified with an ohm reader?

Best regards