• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

My first old Gibson guitar.

lare65

Ok, thanks
I’ll take a careful try at it with the Dunlop 65.
How often is this recommended, I would guess not every time it’s time for string change?

Last I hoped someone could help answer this question.
The guitar had the teal low CITES documentation in the case. And at the top it says European community.
Would this mean that I’m NOT allowed to bring the guitar outside Europe with me?
The previous owner which were located here in Europe has signed the document, but haven’t traveled with the guitar, so is the documentation still valid or would it require myself to apply for documentation and sign it myself as I’m the new owner?

Hope someone can help me with this one as well🥺

Best regards
Torben
The document is still valid. Every instrument just have to go through the CITES application once. If you travel to US I think you have to apply for another travel document though, but I´m not 100% shure how or if it can be done.

Keefoman

Ok, thanks
I’ll take a careful try at it with the Dunlop 65.
How often is this recommended, I would guess not every time it’s time for string change?

Last I hoped someone could help answer this question.
The guitar had the teal low CITES documentation in the case. And at the top it says European community.
Would this mean that I’m NOT allowed to bring the guitar outside Europe with me?
The previous owner which were located here in Europe has signed the document, but haven’t traveled with the guitar, so is the documentation still valid or would it require myself to apply for documentation and sign it myself as I’m the new owner?

Hope someone can help me with this one as well🥺

Best regards
Torben
No need to oil the fretboard at all really. Still, it can be a nice feel with a freshly oiled fretboard, but once or twice a year is more than enough. Add some oil with a q=tip or a cloth, and wipe away the excess more or less straight away.

As for CITES with instruments, the regulations are now lifted, so you don`t have to worry about that.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
First number is the year. The rest in the total number of guitars made that year. 5 0001 would be the first one and 5 3881 would be the 3881st one. Numbers would be for standards, customs, specials and juniors combined. I'm sure someone will correct me but that's what I've always heard. Les Paul got one dollar per guitar sold so you get an idea how much money he made. It was a lot of money in the day

That is not correct for the "50's era ink stamps". Models were numbered in batches, so a Junior with 5-1234 might be earlier than a Custom with 5-1188.
Best guess I have is 40 pieces per batch. But maybe 6 batches of Juniors were being built while one batch of Customs.
Add to that Specials, TV's and "Standards".

We do know that when they went past 9999 they wrote them like 510000, filling the open gap. If you had a 6 digit version you can assume it is later in the year.
:salude

joeperry

That is not correct for the "50's era ink stamps". Models were numbered in batches, so a Junior with 5-1234 might be earlier than a Custom with 5-1188.
Best guess I have is 40 pieces per batch. But maybe 6 batches of Juniors were being built while one batch of Customs.
Add to that Specials, TV's and "Standards".

We do know that when they went past 9999 they wrote them like 510000, filling the open gap. If you had a 6 digit version you can assume it is later in the year.
:salude

Great info, all of it, really appreciate it.
The junior really sounds great and the weight is pretty light, being 3,38 kg so wouldn’t bust my back either:)
The guitar has a nice growl to it but the bass E string to me is a liiiittle bit dark sounding, not really muddy just dark... I keep thinking that I’ll might just be used to the opposite Tele single coils and my ears just have to get used to the beefier p90’s:)
By this it came to my mind, just out of curiosity, is there anyway you can adjust the height of a dogear p90 or are they unajustable?
Last, is it possible to somehow check the pu originality without unsoldering stuff etc.? And does this require major tech skills and tools, or only a screwdriver and patience?
I guess these pus are not serial numbered but would have to be identified with an ohm reader?

Best regards