• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

60th. R9 Medallion.

Goldtoptop

I was wondering if anyone who purchased a 60th Anniversary Les Paul from a authorized dealer that was shipped without a 60th Anniversary Switchplate Medallion? I bought this as advertised with a standard Custom shop Medallion. Dealer said they received the guitar as is from Gibson. It has the Correct 60th Anniversary matching COA and serial number. Otherwise a beautiful great playing guitar! :rofl

Attachments

• 6oth LP2.jpg
    6oth LP2.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 47523F6C-549A-495C-91CD-F14A751BEEA1.jpg
    47523F6C-549A-495C-91CD-F14A751BEEA1.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

ej.

Interesting.
Mine came with the 60th medallion.
Maybe Gibson can send you one?

Goldtoptop

Interesting.
Mine came with the 60th medallion.
Maybe Gibson can send you one?

Emailed Gibson customer service twice with no response. Same old Gibson? The guitar left the factory late in the year and the 2020 R9’s I’ve seen have the same Medallion mine shipped with. I doubt Gibson would ship me a 60th anniversary plate.

Arnold M.

I was wondering if anyone who purchased a 60th Anniversary Les Paul from a authorized dealer that was shipped without a 60th Anniversary Switchplate Medallion? I bought this as advertised with a standard Custom shop Medallion. Dealer said they received the guitar as is from Gibson. It has the Correct 60th Anniversary matching COA and serial number. Otherwise a beautiful great playing guitar! :rofl

I have a hard time believing your dealers explanation, every guitar I have seen has the correct 60th Anniv. Medallion, as much as people criticize Gibson even I have a hard time believing they would knowingly ship a guitar with the wrong Medallion .... WTF ??? sounds like B.S. to me .... just my opinion, but I'd be on the Warpath until I got what I should have received in the first place

AA00475Bassman

I would not listen to the dealers explanations or excuses , He needs to make this deal whole if a dealer cant get one you never will . Of all the identyfying components this is one you should have !

Goldtoptop

At the end of the day it is a fine guitar. I may try to get the correct plate on the open market at some point. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0074.jpg
    IMG_0074.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0077.jpg
    IMG_0077.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0073.jpg
    IMG_0073.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 29

class5lp

I can speak from experience on this. Last year I bought a killer 59 LP 60th Annv. from House Of Guitars. This particular guitar was part of a special run of 60th Annv. guitars that HOG picked out the tops and colors for. When the guitars came in they did not have the 60th Annv. switch plate medallion but rather just the standard one Gibson was using in 2019. I contacted HOG who contacted Gibson and we were told that Gibson does not put the 60th Annv. switch plate medallion's on special run dealer order guitars even though the guitars were 60th Annv. guitars and also designated as such on the COA. CRAZEE I know but its the truth. So due to my persistence HOG sent all the switch plate medallion's back to Gibson for all 12 guitars and made them switch them out. For me personally I didnt want a 60th Annv. guitar with out the correct medallion.

Goldtoptop

I can speak from experience on this. Last year I bought a killer 59 LP 60th Annv. from House Of Guitars. This particular guitar was part of a special run of 60th Annv. guitars that HOG picked out the tops and colors for. When the guitars came in they did not have the 60th Annv. switch plate medallion but rather just the standard one Gibson was using in 2019. I contacted HOG who contacted Gibson and we were told that Gibson does not put the 60th Annv. switch plate medallion's on special run dealer order guitars even though the guitars were 60th Annv. guitars and also designated as such on the COA. CRAZEE I know but its the truth. So due to my persistence HOG sent all the switch plate medallion's back to Gibson for all 12 guitars and made them switch them out. For me personally I didnt want a 60th Annv. guitar with out the correct medallion.

Interesting. Thanks for the information. When I called Gibson customer service the screener suggested I send an email. No response yet.

Elliot Easton

I get why you want all the Anniversary stuff, especially if you ever sell it. Once acquiring said medallion, put it in the case, install the (hopefully) included plain plastic plate on the guitar, and save your neck and shoulder 3 oz.

Goldtoptop

I get why you want all the Anniversary stuff, especially if you ever sell it. Once acquiring said medallion, put it in the case, install the (hopefully) included plain plastic plate on the guitar, and save your neck and shoulder 3 oz.

I bought the guitar to play and gig with. I am not a collector at all. I put the plastic switch cover on the day I received it. I just found it odd with all of the anniversary hype that Gibson would ship a guitar without the correct medallion. If I were ever to sell, the medallion will surely come into question.

El Gringo

That information is correct even if it is a R9 2019 model . If it is a special run or one off it will not have the anniversary diamond cover . I was personally told this during my visit to Gibson Custom last September .

Guitardon

I have a hard time believing your dealers explanation, every guitar I have seen has the correct 60th Anniv. Medallion, as much as people criticize Gibson even I have a hard time believing they would knowingly ship a guitar with the wrong Medallion .... WTF ??? sounds like B.S. to me .... just my opinion, but I'd be on the Warpath until I got what I should have received in the first place
I received a true historic with the wrong medallion. It was an end-of-the-year run that was shipped the following year and had that serial number on it but came with the former medallion. For me it was no big deal, I would imagine the anniversary models when you go to sell it people would expect the correct medallion. I’ve had luck with Gibson, want sent me a TH pic card because mine was cracked, but I called them instead of emailing them. I’ve sent an email recently about another issue and they have failed to respond so I would recommend calling them. They were pretty easy to work with to solve my few problems that I’ve had

drog1602

0Vr4xLg.jpg
Mine came with the medallion, it’s different than my 60th R0 as you can see on my 60th R9
bixG3uW.jpg

https://imgur.com/gallery/TaBZxgF

Last edited:

Lewis Liu

Gibson customer service sucks as it always did..... I purchased my 2020 R9 with the same medallion as yours, but with some unremovable stains on the medallion. I was not happy about that and contacted the authorized dealer in China where I bought it from with hope to get a replacement from Gibson. The response I got from Gibson was that there was no spare medallion in the factory and it might take 1-2 years for me to get the replacement.

I don't believe that "no-spare-medallion" excuse at all and that was just way too ridiculous for a customer out there who spent $6k+ to wait for 1-2 years for a replacement of a stained medallion.

El Gringo

I would not listen to the dealers explanations or excuses , He needs to make this deal whole if a dealer cant get one you never will . Of all the identyfying components this is one you should have !
I wonder who the dealer is ?