• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Is this an ok or good deal

Thelama

Hey, first time lp owner here. Have wanted one for years but have only recently had the funds / justification for such a purchase.

I just bought a 2002 lp standard in ebony for $1400 inc tax.

I got it from gc (online) which i know isn’t “supporting my lgs” but it seemed to be substantially cheaper than any local brick and mortar store. I also checked reverb and again it was ~$400-500 cheaper.

Gave them a ring and had them check the neck for hs damage etc, twisted neck, etc . The guy told me seems to be in good condition though they listed it as “fair”. I get the 40+ day return guarantee so if it’s a real lemon I can always return it.

I guess I was just wondering if you all think its was an ok / good deal or any other checks I need to watch out for?

I read a lot about 2001-2004 models and the good feedback they get, from a pickups perspective are they keepers or should i look to start saving for sd’s and if so any recommendations for “classic Gibson tone”?

Last edited:

Musicman

Seems like a fair price especially if it's to your liking. I believe they came with BBpros which may work for you if you give them a chance. Congrats!

zoommutt

I think I paid $1700 in 2002 for mine. I think you will enjoy it.

jrgtr42

I got my 2002 Std brand new, and haven't had the urge to do anything to it. (other that swap the plastic jack plate for metal.)
That was the fist year for the BB pickups, depending on when in the year it was built it may still have the old specs.

Thelama

Thanks for the info and replies. Do you know what pickups were before the bb pros? Any consensus on them?

zoommutt

2002 was first year for bb’s except for Gary Moore guitar In 2000. Don’t remember what was before.

jrgtr42

Thanks for the info and replies. Do you know what pickups were before the bb pros? Any consensus on them?

Standards would have had the 490/498 combo (I think those were the numbers...)

Texsunburst59

I think it's a pretty decent deal.

My last 2 LP Standards I bought, I got really good deals on them.

About 4 years ago I got my '89 Gibson Heritage Cherry Sunburst LP Standard for $993
2 years ago I got my '08 Gibson Wine LP Standard Plus for $762

Both were all original w OHSC and in great condition.

Killer deals on LP's are out there, but you have to put the time and effort to hunt them down.

It always helps to have a lot of cash on hand when doing the deals, so you can get the best price.

Thelama

Thanks for all the responses.

got it yesterday. Sounds fantastic. Needs a truss adjustment but so far really pleased.