• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

John Shanks: The Collection

viper007

Strange :hmm... Watched that 35 minute video with big interest a couple of times last night. A lot of vintage guitars. Nothing on Gibson TV now either...

jb_abides

Hats off to Shanks: Studio and band player cum producer made good, way to parlay! Great taste, great eye for load stones and quirky pieces, great set-up of the house/studio, cool attitude and appropriate taste in forebears.

Several of his pieces were nuts... especially liked the dark-back, that gold had that underlying green essence like it was part of Boorman's Excalibur.

Thanks to Gibson / Mark for opening up his treasure trove. Very good stuff.

:salude

geddy402

Mark said something about a security issue with the video is why it went down. Edited 3 minutes out and reposted it. Didn’t watch it when it was first posted so no idea what the security issue could have been...

duaneflowers

Mark said something about a security issue with the video is why it went down. Edited 3 minutes out and reposted it. Didn’t watch it when it was first posted so no idea what the security issue could have been...

Maybe showed him punching in the combination to his safe... :spabout

4string

A couple of things were cut - naming the specific neighborhood where the house is located, a little footage of the outside of the house itself and an extended panoramic view from the balcony at the end. Anyone familiar with the area in question and the ability to identify the view might be able to locate house by simply driving around.

A fine collection of instruments regardless. The early 1980's ES-335 that was autographed by Keith Richards and the fiesta red p-bass were personal faves. :yah

zhivago

Some very cool guitars in the collection...I found that old supposed late 60s black wraptail LP a bit weird...my first thought would have been "50s black refin in a newer case". :hmm

Johngonefishin

Check out the recent Tim Pierce video on YouTube where Tim goes to Mr Shanks home studio, and John demonstrates his massive pedalboard and amplifier setup, lots of great tips and info.

dleake

Cool to see he still owns 0-0289 the very early 1960 "Shanks" burst that was reissued as Collector's Choice #7. Rumor was he'd sold it. Another revelation from this video is that Mick Mars once owned it! Still love my CC#7!

marshall1987

Some very cool guitars in the collection...I found that old supposed late 60s black wraptail LP a bit weird...my first thought would have been "50s black refin in a newer case". :hmm

Agree. I never heard of a 1967 Les Paul, I don't think it ever happened. :dang

And when you consider that Gibson's renewed royalty/production contract with Les Paul wasn't in place during 1967, you have to have a degree of skepticism. What does John base the date on? Control pots? Shipping ledger? Original store receipt with date?

zhivago

Agree. I never heard of a 1967 Les Paul, I don't think it ever happened. :dang

And when you consider that Gibson's renewed royalty/production contract with Les Paul wasn't in place during 1967, you have to have a degree of skepticism. What does John base the date on? Control pots? Shipping ledger? Original store receipt with date?

One has to wonder for sure...I think Mark must have raised an eyebrow too, but let it slide for the same of the video flow. :hmm