• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Probucker color codes (with pic)

LouHela

Hi!
I'd be grateful if anyone could please name the following wire numbers of this 2-month-old Probucker in this photo.

Am I correct in assuming:

Probucker png.jpg

1. Shield Ground
2. Slug Coil Start
3. Screw Coil Finish
4. Slug Coil Finish
5. Screw Coil Start

Two black cables. The insulation on (1) is twice as thick as all the others, but same core.

I have two of them and want to solder a simple, regular Les Paul 2v, 2t humbucker configuration. No coil taps etc.

Thank you

PaulD

You're welcome. Incidently your assumptions about the wires are almost certainly correct, it fits in with the Gibson colour codes and the thicker black wire will almost certainly be the shield but if you have a multimeter and want to confirm it this article explains how to do it https://www.guitar-repairs.co.uk/guitar_pickup_polarity_test.htm (to confirm which is the shield wire there will be no resistance reading between it and any of the other wires).

LouHela

Hmm.. Now you mention it..
Might just mosey on down to the local DIY later and see what they've got in the way of multimeters.
One much overlooked benefit of having a 21-yr-old son is that it gives me a chance to buy all my tools and shit again, now he's decided he's probably NOT going to bring back anything he borrows.
So he tells me.

Drayve85

Hmm.. Now you mention it..
Might just mosey on down to the local DIY later and see what they've got in the way of multimeters.
One much overlooked benefit of having a 21-yr-old son is that it gives me a chance to buy all my tools and shit again, now he's decided he's probably NOT going to bring back anything he borrows.
So he tells me.

“DADS HARDWARE STORE” your son shops at the same place I do. My dad has lost the majority of his tools to his son too.lol and now HES the one asking ME to borrow the tools. Circle of life I guess!:yah