• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Finish cracked on new Les Paul Standard, structural?

Mark Kane

All Access/Backstage Pass
I saw a video not long ago, I believe on the Faber.USA sight with pics of Gibsons with the back hump. It seems fairly common on these later models. As someone mentioned the back mark looks like a seam join. It is what it is, the wood is moving due to humidity.

rick c

My 87 LP, bought new by me, has been all over the world, in very dry and very humid environments and has no cracks in the finish. Same goes for my 88 ES-335. My 81 ES-Artist does have some cracking but only around the old pickguard area due to pickguard chemistry issues.

It's the nature of the cracks shown in the pictures of this new guitar that bothers me; really long, a new guitar. Nothing about this is "normal". I would take the guitar back and fight this one if required.

vetteman

Neck looks to be finish cracks, but the back looks like it is more involved. I think I would have it looked at.

El Gringo

All my custom color Historic Firebirds finish cracks it standard for custom colors .

Greetings ! Do you use humidifiers in the winter time at home ? I run 2 of them and it works wonders for the guitars and also is nice for my skin as well .

Tarcisioo

Large finish cracks all over a two month old guitar don't come with the territory. I've got a 10 year old Gibson with zero cracks, not even the slightest hint of a crack anywhere on it.

Finish checking doesn't have nothing to do with age, but with climate factors. A guitar with 1 day of age can crack, while a vintage guitar from 1950s can be clean as a whistle.

The strange part here is that the guitar checked in a equatorial climate. I live in a hot place too, in Brazil, and we have 75 to 95 degrees all year, never below 75 and never more than 95, never. Humidity is always high, at around 60-80% all year.

My guitars finishes will never crack, and I want it so bad :dang

I once bought a guitar in Paris, a tribute 50s goldtop, and left it out of the case in a room with windows open for the whole night. It was below 30 degrees, or -3 in Celsius. I then moved the guitar to heated rooms and... nothing. Not a single crack at the finish

Hamerfan

The new Gibson are made not to crack from climate change. Lots of plastilizers in the nitro. I tried -10 to + 60 Celsius with a heat gun - nada, nothing, nichts.
But to the OP: Wet wood causes this. Not enough dried wood swells and causes humps.

No, cannot be repaired with an reasonable effort. For me this was a case of warranty to Gibson, but that chance is long gone and depends on your dealer.

steve_p

I have the same problem on the back of the neck and headstock of a Les Paul Special that I bought new a few years ago. The neck had a massive amount of nitro on it - enough to almost obliterate the serial. I wonder if this might have been a factor in the cracking?