• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Filling stop tail holes after bigsby - how did Gibson do this?

GaryJov

1961_Gibson_ES-335tdc_26677-006_1_600x800.jpg

So I've decided that the Bigsby on my 335 is essential after trialling it with a Vibramate. I'm now looking into solutions to the stop tail piece holes left, this example above is something I may do! How could I achieve this, do any companies sell something like this?

El Gringo

as I cant see the images another solution is to match up wood pieces and fill them in and finish them if you can . This is probably more work , but I have seen it done and when it's done right and it looks amazing ! You know if it's a flame or curly piece of maple you try to find plugs that are similar in grain .

Strings Jr.

If the bushings are still there, just put your old studs back in and run them down tight against the body. It will work until you decide to go with something more "permanent".

J.D.

CM plaque is technically not historically correct on a dotneck.

IIRC the CS used to cut 1/2" discs from MOP inlay.

reddeluxe

J. D., beg to differ, as far as the Custom Made plaque on '61 ES 335 dotnecks. You can see a picture of my cherry finished, 100% original, Bigsby equipped, '61 dot complete with factory installed Custom Made plaque on Charlie Gelber's es335.org site. Look under the top banner for pics of the various ES models. Mine is listed as reader Steve N.

MeHereNow

Find 2 tailpiece studs, dremel/saw/grind off the flathead as close to the base as possible.
Then remove the excess till it's flat and sand & polish to a nice shine.
Then, after cleaning the threads of the bushings and studs you screw the studs in by hand till it's flat with the top.
Gibson did this themselves sometimes.

33670__1_4000x.progressive.jpg

OKGuitar

Gibson did this too-black plastic discs. Cost 38 cents each and pop right in-no glue required. And they come right out when you change your mind. Custom Made plate is correct from late 60 until early 65. Pearl dots were used from 58-60. Ground down studs were used only very occasionally-mostly in 61 it seems. These black dot were used mostly in 60.
59TDNBigs-e1585310369280.jpg

GaryJov

Thanks for all the help guys - I managed to source some screw caps that only required minor sanding to make flush with the body.

This is my pride and joy - it's a Memphis that I've tried to make look like a 1961, my favourite year of production.:)
9JYnCoU.jpg

dOR6N5K
undefined
<script async="" src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Rich R

In the Zone/Backstage Pass
J. D., beg to differ, as far as the Custom Made plaque on '61 ES 335 dotnecks. You can see a picture of my cherry finished, 100% original, Bigsby equipped, '61 dot complete with factory installed Custom Made plaque on Charlie Gelber's es335.org site. Look under the top banner for pics of the various ES models. Mine is listed as reader Steve N.

True, dat...

reddeluxe

Thanks for all the help guys - I managed to source some screw caps that only required minor sanding to make flush with the body.

This is my pride and joy - it's a Memphis that I've tried to make look like a 1961, my favourite year of production.:)
9JYnCoU.jpg

dOR6N5K
undefined
<script src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8" async=""></script>
GaryJov, by coincidence, you have an almost identical shot of your beautiful dot re-issue as the one of my original '61 dot/Bigsby/Custom Made listed on Charlie Gelber's wonderful website. Check the 335 pics of the various ES models listed under the main header banner, mine is listed from reader Steve N.

duaneflowers

Have you considered installing a roller bridge in there... it might start a new trend if it works!