• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Indulge me for a few minutes please...

gooner-cjp

... I play the guitar a bit - I’m not bad really, but not great. I’ve been visiting this forum for years now, indeed I used to post some of my favourite videos here before YouTube even existed, hosting them on my own server.

I’ll never have the cash to buy one of these guitars (an R9 is my limit, and being a lefty limits me even more!) but let me say I love reading the stuff you guys post, and admiring these guitars from afar. I have huge admiration for people like Charlie and Tom (and indeed the great Joe B.) for keeping this place alive, and keeping the flame burning. Long may it continue.

I just watched this (twice) on YouTube, and for me it’s the prime example of what makes these instruments special. For me it sums up the Les Paul that we all love.

Best wishes to everyone here, and a big heartfelt thanks from Wales, UK :dude:

ourmaninthenorth

That's not an indulgence Mate, that's a celebration.

What a magnificent musician this man is.

Thanks for posting.

:salude

2002standardmat

Know exactly where you are coming from.

Knopfler playing Bothers on THAT guitar and Neil Young on an old Martin, 2 artists that I have seen live where you just close your eyes and listen and it is so pure and true that you can't help but get goosebumps (even on meds that stop that kind of thing).

garywright

Mark’s singing voice alone is chilling ..Sailing To Philadelphia..my oh my :salude

Iguana

Mark Knopfler is never who I picture when I thing “Guitar God”. “Guitar God” is, however, the first thing I think when I hear him play. The man has it all. Touch, tone, phrasing, the works. Thanks for posting that.

BSeneca

Crazy how he seems to get volume swells without the volume knob! Just trilling but it has to do with his fingers. The attack different than a pick. Which in my mind makes him so recognizable. Great player. Thank you

marfen

Crazy how he seems to get volume swells without the volume knob! Just trilling but it has to do with his fingers. The attack different than a pick. Which in my mind makes him so recognizable. Great player. Thank you

He uses a volume pedal. One of the very best to play our favorite guitar.

corpse

I can play a few Knopfler tunes- but I sit and imagine him going "no wrong pitch" and redoing it and going "Ok there we go"- and then duplicating it. The difference between clam and perfect is razor thin. And then at the speed of his runs with so few effects involved.
Tone is in the hands.
And- he does it without sticking his tongue out- I do that when I concentrate- have since I was very little. Thanks for posting that.