• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Help with early 70s ES-335TD

Orsome Wells

Hi everyone,

A 70s ES-335TD has come up locally (UK) for sale which I'm interested in as it sounds and plays great, but I've got a few concerns over the neck and the age which I'm hoping some of you experts might able to help with.

It looks like the neck may have been removed at some point in the past, maybe for a neck reset, but the neck (particularly the heel) is quite a different colour tone to the body which is a bit baffling. The binding on the neck looks in a similar condition (and state of yellowing) as the binding on the body so there's no doubt it's old (the volute seems to suggest early 70s), but I guess I'm curious as to whether it is the original neck or whether it had a different neck put on, albeit some time ago.

Anyhow pictures below which hopefully show the main points of interest - unfortunately there are no visible markings on the pots so don't have any shots of that.

ykrGE8w.jpg

rRF9dIK.jpg

AH6d2ny.jpg

m3KsgPX.jpg

rssyYCd.jpg

bp3Ud3U.jpg

GuitarMikey

The color difference from the body to the neck is normal since the body is maple (laminated) and the neck is mahogany. My 63 & 64 are the same way :salude

GuitarMikey

No problem. Just take a look at some of the other 335s for sale on Reverb.com and you'll see that it's normal.

wmachine

I may be wrong on two different counts here, but the serial numbers look raised to me, not depressed as in stamped. Are my old eyes deceiving me?

renderit

I think the lighting on the second picture is deceiving.

It is actually not where it appears to be from the overhead.

I suspect it is an additional light from the top.

Look at the 5th picture.

Optical illusion.

wmachine

I think the lighting on the second picture is deceiving.

It is actually not where it appears to be from the overhead.

I suspect it is an additional light from the top.

Look at the 5th picture.

Optical illusion.

Thanks, I think that's it. It would not be easy to have raised numbers so raised do not make sense.