• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Opposites Attract

Guitardon

This is an addendum to my post “third time is a charm”. After almost 20 years buying and selling historic Les Paul’s and having over 20 at one time I’m down to two keepers. After three years away I just got my 2002 R8 back, she’s a beauty. Coupled with my R9 2019 Murphy painted 90’s burst they make a nice pair but totally opposites. One has flame going up the other going down. One a dark burst the other a tea burst. One with the fatter 58 burst the other a 59 profile. One has all the newest appointments the other with rounded corners on the inlays etc. I love both equally. Close to retirement I no longer care about which is closer to the real deal. Only care about how they play look sound and feel, not what the perfectionist say is best. Which was my influence for many years. Anyhow I thought y’all might appreciate how pretty they are together.

0811537F-DB8F-487D-8EC4-B069A73EB599.jpg

El Gringo

My compliments as that's what it's all about . 2 very beautiful beauties in a row together . I love the color and figure of both and really love the older one as she has that look ! How about the sound/tone ? Are there subtle differences between the 2 ? The older one has the 57 Classics ? or the Burstbuckers ? The newer one has the unpotted Custombuckers pickups with the paper oil caps . I would love to hear your impression's ?

marshall1987

Like you, I am also a recent Social Security annuitant....:rolleyes:

I have also embarked on mission to thin out the many guitars I have acquired in the past 20 years or so. With much sadness, I recently sold my beloved 2004 Murphy-aged Gary Rossington Les Paul. It was one of the finest Gibson Les Pauls I have ever owned or played. What was I thinking? I am comforted somewhat in the realization that my loss ....is someone else's gain.

Nonetheless, I have no intention to let go of the very first Historic Gibson Les Paul R-9 I bought back in 2003....a splendid 2000 R9 "plain-top". Although this guitar lacks some of the more recent design appointments buyers have demanded, it has a nice fat neck, an exceptional quarter-sawn mahogany back, excellent '57 classic PAFs, and desirable 8.5 lb. weight range.

At the other end of the date range, I also have a 2018 Wildwood Spec, Murphy-painted, R8 that features the latest updates in the historic reissue series.

I too enjoy having fine examples of Historic reissue Les Pauls spanning a 20 year range. Although on paper, you might expect the two guitars to be vastly different, in practice, they both deliver the goods in spades!

p.s. Help me with this please....given your previous enthusiastic postings on this forum regarding your CC-4 "Donna", I thought you would never let go of your coveted "Donna" Les Paul. And didn't you own two Donna's at one point? What happened?

Guitardon

Like you, I am also a recent Social Security annuitant....:rolleyes:

I have also embarked on mission to thin out the many guitars I have acquired in the past 20 years or so. With much sadness, I recently sold my beloved 2004 Murphy-aged Gary Rossington Les Paul. It was one of the finest Gibson Les Pauls I have ever owned or played. What was I thinking? I am comforted somewhat in the realization that my loss ....is someone else's gain.

Nonetheless, I have no intention to let go of the very first Historic Gibson Les Paul R-9 I bought back in 2003....a splendid 2000 R9 "plain-top". Although this guitar lacks some of the more recent design appointments buyers have demanded, it has a nice fat neck, an exceptional quarter-sawn mahogany back, excellent '57 classic PAFs, and desirable 8.5 lb. weight range.

At the other end of the date range, I also have a 2018 Wildwood Spec, Murphy-painted, R8 that features the latest updates in the historic reissue series.

I too enjoy having fine examples of Historic reissue Les Pauls spanning a 20 year range. Although on paper, you might expect the two guitars to be vastly different, in practice, they both deliver the goods in spades!

p.s. Help me with this please....given your previous enthusiastic postings on this forum regarding your CC-4 "Donna", I thought you would never let go of your coveted "Donna" Les Paul. And didn't you own two Donna's at one point? What happened?

It’s pretty amazing that you know my guitars, a couple of anyway. And you’re right I did own two Donna’s at one time but I really wasn’t happy with the fact that they looked nothing like the real Donna, It wore on me over time, and I just couldn’t appreciate them as much as I should, so I sold them. Donna has a particular flame pattern is very unique to that guitar and very hard to replicate. Some of the big top guitars are beautiful but I see lots of them like that. I’ve never seen a guitar or should I say rarely see a guitar that looks like Donna. And the few that I’ve seen weren’t Diana’s but they had the top similar to it. It any rate just like everybody else I think, I just get tired of guitars and sell them. When I had 22 guitars most of them Les Paul Historics, I had a job that can support that habit, So I kept buying. You know the drill. At any rate I’m just so happy with my two guitars that I have and I love them more than all the 50+ historics I’ve owned over the years. I know it’s more information than your asked but I figured I’d give you the full answer. The two I have are the final two, I’m down for the count. Age, finances, wife etc. it just won’t happen for me to buy and sell anymore.

Big Al

Whatever the journey, whatever the process, you've ended up with beautiful pair!!

goldtop0

The journey is the key and you've got two beauties:2cool
I haven't bought and sold as many as you(6 in 30 yrs) with 2 keepers a '13 R8 and '13 R6.