NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

Thread: Vintage ABR1

Vintage ABR1

Hi

I would like to know if someone can tell me what is this ABR1 ? The saddles looks not original to me.
    This ABR1 is on my original 58 LP that I bought last year. I don't think it is original to the guitar.

Thanks
    Jean Christophe
    Attached Images Attached Images

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar

Re: Vintage ABR1

It has holes for the retaining wire, so it is well after 1958.
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

Thanks Tom

All Access/Backstage Pass Wilko's Avatar

Looks reissue to me. Lines/edges are way too clean.

Les Paul Forum Member marshall1987's Avatar
    Feuding With "Devil Anse" Hatfield on the Tug Fork

Four photos of a nickel-plated, Gibson Historic ABR-1, Les Paul bridge. The bridge saddles, set screws, and retainer wire are not shown.

The OPs "vintage ABR1" has a distinct hallmark on the bottom immediately after the raised "GIBSON ABR-1". Contrast that with my photos of a Gibson Historic ABR-1. There is no hallmark after "GIBSON ABR-1" on the recent Gibson Historic bridge.

"Scan not a friend under a microscopic glass; you know his faults so let his foibles pass".

Sir Frank Crisp
    Friar Park
    London, England

Id keep it and put a wire on it. I hate when I restring and they fall out. Intonating can be a bitch. Hold the saddle while you try to lengthen or shorten it.

The modern ABR-1s tend to sink(squash down) so my guitar tech says(can happen after a few years or after 10 years or so).
    He says because they're made of zinc they do this and it causes havoc with intonation etc.
    I don't know what the old vintage '50s ones are made of.

Quote Originally Posted by goldtop0 View Post
    The modern ABR-1s tend to sink(squash down) so my guitar tech says(can happen after a few years or after 10 years or so).
    He says because they're made of zinc they do this and it causes havoc with intonation etc.
    I don't know what the old ones were made of either but the ABR1 bridge on the 1960 burst that I used to own was collapsed like this when I got it. The guy I used then to service my guitars put it in a press to get it back into shape. I do recall that the bridge saddles were brass though.

Les Paul Forum Member duaneflowers's Avatar
    Behind a badass Lester somewhere in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by goldtop0 View Post
    They are made of Zamak... a zinc/aluminum/magnesium/copper (Kupfer in German) alloy. There are several different recipes, the 50s bridges used the softest one, which caused quite a few bridges to collapse, hence the use of more solid (tone sucking) materials. Since Zamak is patented it may (or may not) cost Gibson a fair penny to use it... no doubt another board vote to use something less, er, just less. I don't think any bridge makers are currently using the correct Zamak formula (again, probably due to its softness) and until there is we are at the mercy of the various available alternatives. For better or worse...

I prefer the current Faber offerings myself and think they come closest in tone (albeit made of a different alloy) to what I'm looking for.
    Tone To The Bone!
    LP=[(CC*8)+(Sig*5)+(R9*2)+R8+R7+R6+(R4*2)+(50sT*2)+Stu D+LPX]+[(EpI*19)+(EsP/Ed*6)+(ToKi*3)+(Ba*3)+(Fe/Bu*2)+(ObG)+(CMS)]

Quote Originally Posted by duaneflowers View Post
    They are made of Zamak... a zinc/aluminum/magnesium/copper (Kupfer in German) alloy. There are several different recipes, the 50s bridges used the softest one, which caused quite a few bridges to collapse, hence the use of more solid (tone sucking) materials.
    Thanks for the info.
    Love the 'tone sucking' bit