The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Greg Koch visited my home tonight and played the Bursts and other vintage Geetars

It was great having Greg and the Wildwood gang at my home today. Greg is a monster player! He probably played 20 or so of my vintage geetars. I can't believe what I see and hear when he is playing! The Wildwood gang videotaped the evening and will be editing videos within the near future which we will post here. A fun evening!

Greg smiling with the 59 and 60 Bursts

Greg with 59 and 60 Bursts. Desperation!

Guitar face playing a 1959 ES-335 TDN

Troy Benns from Wildwood with Greg (Troy is also a monster guitarist!) with the 58 and 60 Bursts

I am a shrimp compared to Greg!
    Last edited by MikeSlub; 02-12-15 at 08:36 AM.
    Mike Slubowski

* "Gibson guitars are like potato chips - you can't have just one!"

* "So many Gibsons to love, so little time..."

Les Paul Forum Member sillytele's Avatar

Re: Greg Koch visited my home tonight and played the Bursts and other vintage Geetars

Yes, but you are a shrimp that owns AND shares some sweet geetars
    SoundCloud Home On The Grange "Good Times Bad Times"
    AKA: SillyPeterGreenBurstTele
    Remember, Clapton recorded the Beano album with a 7 year old guitar.
    "May I see your papers...."

Les Paul Forum Member

Re: Greg Koch visited my home tonight and played the Bursts and other vintage Geetars

Wow. I'm sure that was a great experience, Mike. Greg certainly is an incredible player. So kind of you to open your home and guitar cases to him and the Wildwood gang!

Awesome!!! Looking forward to the video...
    Stop by and get reacquainted with The all NEW Fender Forum

"...put aside the alienation, get on with the fascination, the real relation, the underlying theme."
    Neil Peart (September 12, 1952 - January 7, 2020)

Cool.

Is that guy tall or what?

I'm REALLY looking forward to these videos!

Brian.
    "My dog Popeye doesn't speak English, but he knows tone." - Eugene S. Robinson

Super cool!!! Thanks for sharing. Really looking forward to the video's!!!

Looks like Greg Koch is a giant...

Great pics Mike, looks like it was definitely a fun hang. I can't wait to see the vids when they're available

Looks like a great time! I can't imagine hanging out in that room and not having a blast!
    Game on!

Les Paul Forum Member Xpensive Wino's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSlub View Post
    I am a shrimp compared to Greg!
    So the big question now is, which one of your LPs gets to be officially named The Shrimpburst???

Quote Originally Posted by KennyF View Post
    Awesome!!! Looking forward to the video...
    +1. Want to see the Slub-Room in HD, too... Looks like much fun was had by all.

Les Paul Forum Member Xpensive Wino's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jb_abides View Post
    +1. Want to see the Slub-Room in HD, too... Looks like much fun was had by all.
    I've heard it's located in a hermetically-sealed, bombproof "SLUBterranean" bunker deep under the Rockies in an undisclosed location.

Wow!
    Last edited by renderit; 02-12-15 at 08:42 AM.

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner and Moderator CDaughtry's Avatar

What a great hang!

Quote Originally Posted by Xpensive Wino View Post
    I've heard it's located in a hermetically-sealed, bombproof "SLUBterranean" bunker deep under the Rockies in an undisclosed location.
    SLUBterranean... That's good...
    Stop by and get reacquainted with The all NEW Fender Forum

"...put aside the alienation, get on with the fascination, the real relation, the underlying theme."
    Neil Peart (September 12, 1952 - January 7, 2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Xpensive Wino View Post
    And if you can get past the moat with alligators, the hungry Dobermans will get you!
    Mike Slubowski

Greg is one of the nicest, kindest guys you'll ever meet, and an incredible musician in addition to his intelligence and comedic skills.
    Last edited by MikeSlub; 02-12-15 at 11:30 AM.
    Mike Slubowski

Les Paul Forum Member Rev.WillieVK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CDaughtry View Post
    What a great hang!
    Heck yeah! Looks like it was a blast Mike, you're a giant to me - can't wait to see the videos!!

That is so awesome!! Greg is a GREAT player, and an even GREATER person!! Glad you all had fun.

Thought he was sportin' a new hat there for a sec.
    "There's only two things wrong with you, and that's your face." - Greg Koch

I was thinking halo.

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    I was thinking halo.
    It's the Gibson halo of divine sainthood that is only bestowed upon players who are humorous and masterful.

Idea: Maybe Greg K. could post LPF exclusive lessons like JD and Joe B.!! Greg is such a great player.
    "I've smoked a lot of things in my day, but Marlboro's are the only one that had a brand name."--Keith Richards

Quote Originally Posted by skhan007 View Post
    Idea: Maybe Greg K. could post LPF exclusive lessons like JD and Joe B.!! Greg is such a great player.
    That is the plan we are working on with Greg. He visits Wildwood once every month to shoot videos, so I've asked (and Greg has agreed) to do some videos of various vintage geetars from my stash or Steve Mesple's (Wildwood owner) stash, and post them on the LPF.

The Les Paul Forum rules!
    Mike Slubowski

looks like a fun hang Mike...........really looking forward to your vids....thanks for sharing...

Les Paul Forum Member FretsAlot's Avatar

fwiw, Greg has many instructional vids/presentations on YT from gear conventions, etc where he gives a good rudimentary lesson in chicken picking w & w/o a pick, etc. I've recently rewatched some of those vids and am focusing my practicing on them, along with some Danny Gatton YT instructional vids.

If my teachers and professors in HS & college had been as entertaining as Greg, I think I'd been a 4.0 student all those years...

Fretsalot/Scott

Edit: forgot to say... congrats on the good hang, and good news on any future LPF participation by Greg!
    Last edited by FretsAlot; 02-12-15 at 01:31 PM.
    Owner/Operator of NW LP & Marshall Rescue Shelter: free drop off for your unwanted/abused LP's & Marshalls - no questions asked.

That is the plan we are working on with Greg. He visits Wildwood once every month to shoot videos, so I've asked (and Greg has agreed) to do some videos of various vintage geetars from my stash or Steve Mesple's (Wildwood owner) stash, and post them on the LPF.

That is nothing short of awesome!

I swear I learn something form every single vid I see of Greg. His techique so so flawless & his tone so crisp it is easy to hear what he is doing. Not so easy to play, however.
    the faster we go the rounder we get

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post
    I was thinking halo.
    Looks like a black sailor's cap with a pirate symbol on it.
    "There's only two things wrong with you, and that's your face." - Greg Koch

Les Paul Forum Member mistersnappy's Avatar

Just wow! To be a fly on the wall for that. Can't wait to see the videos! Thanks for this, Mike!
    "That's what I love, man, to hear that backbeat popping, that damn bass plonkin' down. Jesus God!"-Duane Allman

That is awesome news Mike!! I am really looking forward to them. By the way, are you short or is Greg actually a Wisconsin Sasquatch?
    Last edited by MikeSlub; 02-12-15 at 02:14 PM.

Les Paul Forum Member bossaddict's Avatar

Wow, what a cool thread! Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBoogie View Post
    That is awesome news Mike!! I am really looking forward to them. By the way, are you short or is Greg actually a Wisconsin Sasquatch?
    Steve, last time I checked I was 5'10". I could be shrinking with old age or job pressures.
    Mike Slubowski

Quote Originally Posted by Cogswell View Post
    I swear I learn something form every single vid I see of Greg. His techique so so flawless & his tone so crisp it is easy to hear what he is doing. Not so easy to play, however.
    Cogs, the coolest part also about last night is that not only was his playing flawless, he adapted to each guitar I handed him instantly, and immediately started playing songs that fit their genre. For example, I handed him a 1961 Fender Jazzmaster and surf tunes started flowing instantaneously. I handed him a 1952 Tele and country licks emanated. When I handed him one of the Bursts it was flawless Jimmy Page riffs in Zep tunes within seconds. I handed him a 1957 Les Paul Custom with their trademark low frets and it didn't affect his playing in the least. An amazing and gifted musician!
    Last edited by MikeSlub; 02-12-15 at 04:13 PM.
    Mike Slubowski

Les Paul Forum Member FretsAlot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBoogie View Post
    I remember Greg referencing himself in a video I watched yesterday as a 'mansquatch'...
    Owner/Operator of NW LP & Marshall Rescue Shelter: free drop off for your unwanted/abused LP's & Marshalls - no questions asked.

Wow! Looks like fun! Can't wait for the vids!

Very nice! That must have been a great day for all the assistants at that hang.

Excellent!

Looking forward to the videos.

Amazing! I can't wait to see the videos Greg is the man!

Greg's an awesome player

Congrats on a great night and thanks for sharing

"I'm Yngwie J. Malmsteen... And I approve this message"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZxdjBXGHl8

https://youtu.be/9az1INihI2Y