• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Advice on Custom 60th Annivery 59' or 50's Standard Les Paul

randomdude84

Hey guys, so i am going to trade my Fender Tele in at Chicago Music Exchange at some point in the near future. I am looking for another Les Paul. I currently have a custom shop 57' VOS Goldtop reissue. Got it from a boutique shop here in chicago for about 2500

I love the 59' Kindred Burst Fade VOS 60th Anniversary. Chicago music exchange has only brand new ones which are 6500. I think the 50's standards are around 3k from guitar center.

What are your opinions on spending that much cash for the custom 59? its obviously a huge price difference and with my telecaster trade in, it will offset the cost a bit. Chicago Music Exchange is offering me 1,050 for my tele. Its a American Vintage 58' 2016 reissue.

I can afford the 60th anniversary but is it really worth it or I am just wasting money? I understand its all subjective but there no better place to turn to for these questions than here.

Thoughts???

Thanks in advance guys.

here is a link to guitar centers website with the 50's Tobacco Burst

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson...lectric-Guitar-Tobacco-Burst-1500000274113.gc

and here is chicago music exchanges beauty that Im really in love with

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.co...ndred-burst-fade-vos-serial-cme90177/30805997

C-4

It is only one person's viewpoint here, but I just received from Breaze Guitars a brand new 60th Anny R9.
I have a Custom Shop Les Paul Custom Pro, which is less then one year old and a 2018 M2M R9 which is just over a year old.

It's just how I think, but spending approximately 3K on a stock LP when your heart wants the more expensive R9 seems like you would be wasting 3K. First off, CME should be able to offer you a price about 800 less as the other big shops are also doing on a straight sale, and by other big shops, I mean some not even on the list on this forum. That is just S.O.P.

If CME gives you a trade and that's all, you might think about selling your Tele outright, unless CME is willing to negotiate a better deal, possibly.

I looked at your choice on CME for the R9, and it is indeed beautiful.

Having owned a LOT of R9's across the years and having played many bursts, the one I got last night is just a magnificent guitar. What you will be gaining in the R9 over the stock LP, is an emotional bond and excitement that will hit you every time you open the case to play your R9. That feeling will not be the same with a stock LP, or if it is, it will evaporate soon. This is why I said that spending 3K on a stock LP when you have your heart set on the R is like wasting 3K if you bought the stock LP.

No comparison can be made which will offset the difference between these two guitars, unless the 3K LP is one hell of a guitar, no matter what the circumstances.

lp56tv

I have been selling of some of my guitars that I advent been playing and was in a position to buy 2 new USA Les Pauls. A 2019 Wildwood Spec Gibson USA Les Paul Standard 50's Unburst and also a 2020 regular Gibson USA Heritage Cherry Original Series 50's Les Paul Standard. The store I bought the 2020 model at also had a 60th Anniversary Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul which I got to play but didn't give it much thought because I was set on getting the 2 Standards. Both the Standards are really nice guitars but in the back of my mind this 59 Reissue was nagging at me. Now initially I didn't want to spend $5500 on a guitar but I essentially did spend that much one the 2 Standards. After playing there Standards for a week or so I decided to go back up to the store and do a direct comparison between the USA Standard and the Custom Shop 59 Reissue just to see if there is really that much difference. I did so much research on the Reissues that I really wanted to see for myself if there was that much difference.

This is only my opinion but there really isn't much debate which is a far superior guitar. The 59 Reissue hands down! First off the weight is alot lighter which is really nice. My Standards are both 9.4 lbs and this 59 was 8.6. The whole feel of the neck profile is a whole lot more comfortable. I asked this question on this forum. Being that both guitars have the same 1st fret neck thickness which in this case my 50's and the 59 do, .89 would the the 2 necks feel different. Answer is yes. The thickness is the same but the profile is different. Whereas my 50's neck feels chunky the 59 felt just right. Then theres the tone. I felt that too want close. The tone of the 59 sounded so much more open and dynamic and responsive. It was really noticeable. Not sure if its the unspotted pickups. Then I tested the two guitars unamplified and the 59 rang out much louder. The whole guitar just had this feel of quality and comfort to it. I was impressed. Then there are all the extra that Gibson went to the trouble of getting historically accurate. It had a vibe to it. I realize its $3000 more but in this case you really do get what you pay for. Im seriously thinking about getting rid of both my Standards for the 59.

CME has some great prices. Im looking at a 59 there as well. I didn't know they would be open to trades. Might have to look into that.

pqs

I have a Standard ‘50s, a 60th anniversary R9 and a 2017 R0. I’ve played many Standard ‘50s and ‘60s. I’m absolutely in love with my Standard ‘50s. I’d go as far to say that perhaps because of the thinner binding, the feel of the Standard ‘50s is much closer to the feel of the R9 relative to previous models. I pretty much rotate between the R9 and the Standard ‘50s. Sometimes I just want to play the Standard. However, the R9 feels to me drastically more refined, which translates to comfort and ease of play. I don’t know if it’s because I’ve had these guitars for some time now and I’m noticing even the slightest difference, but to me it’s not even close. That’s saying a lot, because my Standard is absolutely flawless.

To give you an example of how awesome the one I got is, allow me an anecdote. I had a jam session with some friends and we got bear afterwards. One of the guys I play with is talking about the strats he puts together. Then the conversation leads to cost. He’s not a Gibson guy so he’s thinks a new Les Paul is north of USD$3,500. I tell him that a new Classic goes for $2,000 and the Standard I had just used in the jam session went for $2,500. So the guy asks to inspect my guitar. He spends about 30 minutes trying to find problems with my guitar. I’m a better tech than I’m a guitarist, so obviously he didn’t find any setup issue except that he preferred a higher action. To his dismay he didn’t find any flaw in the guitar even under severe scrutiny. My other friend starts laughing and asks to play my guitar. He laughs even harder as says the guitar is absolutely perfect.

However, I still think my R9 is a superior guitar, both in sound and ease of play. The profile of the neck seems to have a bit less shoulders on the R9, with almost a hint of a soft V shape. The frets, albeit having the same measurements, the R9 feel more rounded on top (not talking about the fret ends, but the top surface of the fret). The fretboard binding on the R9 is a bit thinner. The R9 just feels more woody, perhaps that’s the finish or maybe it’s the fingerboard. These things all add up to, like I said before, to a more refined and precise instrument. Just my $0.02.

lp56tv

However, I still think my R9 is a superior guitar, both in sound and ease of play. The profile of the neck seems to have a bit less shoulders on the R9, with almost a hint of a soft V shape. The frets, albeit having the same measurements, the R9 feel more rounded on top (not talking about the fret ends, but the top surface of the fret). The fretboard binding on the R9 is a bit thinner. The R9 just feels more woody, perhaps that’s the finish or maybe it’s the fingerboard. These things all add up to, like I said before, to a more refined and precise instrument. Just my $0.02.[/QUOTE]

I think the less shoulder on the R9 must have been what I was noticing when comparing the same neck thickness on both guitars. More refined and precise is exactly what I noticed and like you say thats saying alot considering how good the Standard 50's is.

randomdude84

It is only one person's viewpoint here, but I just received from Breaze Guitars a brand new 60th Anny R9.
I have a Custom Shop Les Paul Custom Pro, which is less then one year old and a 2018 M2M R9 which is just over a year old.

It's just how I think, but spending approximately 3K on a stock LP when your heart wants the more expensive R9 seems like you would be wasting 3K. First off, CME should be able to offer you a price about 800 less as the other big shops are also doing on a straight sale, and by other big shops, I mean some not even on the list on this forum. That is just S.O.P.

If CME gives you a trade and that's all, you might think about selling your Tele outright, unless CME is willing to negotiate a better deal, possibly.

Having owned a LOT of R9's across the years and having played many bursts, the one I got last night is just a magnificent guitar. What you will be gaining in the R9 over the stock LP, is an emotional bond and excitement that will hit you every time you open the case to play your R9. That feeling will not be the same with a stock LP, or if it is, it will evaporate soon. This is why I said that spending 3K on a stock LP when you have your heart set on the R is like wasting 3K if you bought the stock LP.

No comparison can be made which will offset the difference between these two guitars, unless the 3K LP is one hell of a guitar, no matter what the circumstances.

you hit it on the head man, i think it would be a waste to buy something i don't truly want also.

i will have to call CME again, it seems your saying that i wouldn't get a discount on the guitar if they are giving me a trade in. i will have to call.

would be nice to hold out a bit more to see if a used one comes in, just to save even more.

thanks so much guys. you have helped me make up my mind. i will gladly post some pics when i finally get her. not gonna purchase now, I'm really hoping to hold out for a used one.

danzego

you hit it on the head man, i think it would be a waste to buy something i don't truly want also.

i will have to call CME again, it seems your saying that i wouldn't get a discount on the guitar if they are giving me a trade in. i will have to call.

would be nice to hold out a bit more to see if a used one comes in, just to save even more.

thanks so much guys. you have helped me make up my mind. i will gladly post some pics when i finally get her. not gonna purchase now, I'm really hoping to hold out for a used one.

He’s just saying IF they’re only offering a trade and no additional discount because of it, you would want to sell elsewhere. However, I don’t see why they might do that. It’s a good piece you’re trading in with the potential to make them decent money. You just need to ask for their best price on what you’re looking at. Always ask for the discount. Heck, even GC will give you a discount on the purchase price because you trade something in.

You’ll have to look at a different guitar, though. The one you linked has sold. I, ummm.....had my eye on it for the last couple of weeks myself, if you know what I’m saying. Sorry! :hmm

randomdude84

He’s just saying IF they’re only offering a trade and no additional discount because of it, you would want to sell elsewhere. However, I don’t see why they might do that. It’s a good piece you’re trading in with the potential to make them decent money. You just need to ask for their best price on what you’re looking at. Always ask for the discount. Heck, even GC will give you a discount on the purchase price because you trade something in.

You’ll have to look at a different guitar, though. The one you linked has sold. I, ummm.....had my eye on it for the last couple of weeks myself, if you know what I’m saying. Sorry! :hmm

good for you man, i was in no rush to purchase it anyways. if you don't mind me asking, how much did they take off the price? they were offering me 1050 for the tele which i paid just about 1700 for it. it does have a chip and some wear marks on the headstock from the wall hangers putting pressure on it. they said they would sell the tele for about 1400. i was considering selling it on my own but not sure what i would get for it.

take pics of your guitar man, i haven't seen it in person or even played it. gotta make the trip to chicago music exchange soon.

JoeC

Hey guys, so i am going to trade my Fender Tele in at Chicago Music Exchange at some point in the near future. I am looking for another Les Paul. I currently have a custom shop 57' VOS Goldtop reissue. Got it from a boutique shop here in chicago for about 2500

I love the 59' Kindred Burst Fade VOS 60th Anniversary. Chicago music exchange has only brand new ones which are 6500. I think the 50's standards are around 3k from guitar center.

What are your opinions on spending that much cash for the custom 59? its obviously a huge price difference and with my telecaster trade in, it will offset the cost a bit. Chicago Music Exchange is offering me 1,050 for my tele. Its a American Vintage 58' 2016 reissue.

I can afford the 60th anniversary but is it really worth it or I am just wasting money? I understand its all subjective but there no better place to turn to for these questions than here.

Thoughts???

Thanks in advance guys.

here is a link to guitar centers website with the 50's Tobacco Burst

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson...lectric-Guitar-Tobacco-Burst-1500000274113.gc

and here is chicago music exchanges beauty that Im really in love with

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.co...ndred-burst-fade-vos-serial-cme90177/30805997
I think they are worth the price. Make sure you like the unpotted pick-ups. Also RTry Dave' Guitar in WI. he has 2018 R9 with Brazzilian Fret Boards, and TAx free if shipped to IL.

randomdude84

I think they are worth the price. Make sure you like the unpotted pick-ups. Also RTry Dave' Guitar in WI. he has 2018 R9 with Brazzilian Fret Boards, and TAx free if shipped to IL.

so this is the first i have heard about unpotted vs potted. not sure that my goldtop 57 reissue is potted or unpotted either. gonna have to find out. i know that i LOVE my 57 goldtop so if its the same then there is no issue. pickups in the r7 i have are burst buckers

JoeC

so this is the first i have heard about unpotted vs potted. not sure that my goldtop 57 reissue is potted or unpotted either. gonna have to find out. i know that i LOVE my 57 goldtop so if its the same then there is no issue. pickups in the r7 i have are burst buckers

The 60th Anniversary are unpotted like the originals and will be different than your R7. Some hear the difference or feel on attack -lots of threads on here about it. The big difference on unpootted is you pick up the microphonic squeel more so when you play loud. If you play like Slash, not the guitar for you. In my opinion the potting (dipping pick-up in light wax to prevent vibration) is progress not a negative. Dave's 2018 R9 are potted.

JoeC

Agree - well said:spabout

randomdude84

thanks again for all the info guys. really appreciated. excited to get this one when the time is right. hopefully i can find a used one and save a few bucks. if not, then she will have to be brand spankin new i guess, 1st world problems lol.

thanks guys

ej.

thanks again for all the info guys. really appreciated. excited to get this one when the time is right. hopefully i can find a used one and save a few bucks. if not, then she will have to be brand spankin new i guess, 1st world problems lol.

thanks guys

Just shot you a PM