• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Guitar ID: "Strange" Custom Shop Paul - Help appreciated!

McJunior

Hi everybody,

1st off, I hope this is the correct forum for my topic, as the guitar in question bears a Custom Shop-logo;
if I'm in the wrong place, I do apologise!

Last week I came across a really, really nice used Les Paul, and she is very tempting and luring me (you know how it goes...;o).

However, I cannot make sense of the features, and y'all are the best resource I can think of.
I read a lot on the forums here, and still...

Therefore, your help on identifying what this beauty is will be greatly appreciated!

Gibson Les Paul
Year/Ser.: Sold as '93, inked serial (5 digits, starting w/ 3_space_more digits)
Color: REALLY nice Flame, book matched, amber-like (or very unburst?), glossy finish
Binding: Narrow, 1-ply yellowed
Neck: Thin profile, RW, bound
Headstock: Small (one of the smallest I've seen so far), says Les Paul MODEL
PU: 2 black/black open-coil HB (to my ears a tad hotter than Historic-PAF, so maybe ceramic ?)
Hardware: ALL GOLD (strange?) Stop Tail & ABR - direct-drill (no studs), Kluson (Single Line, if I remember correctly)
Weight: Around 8.9lb / 4kgs (no weight-relief?)
Other:
- No holes for pickguard,
- really thin neck,
- round Custom Shop logo on back of neck (situated where Norlins have their volute, like: opposite of the nut -sry, no English native here-)
- comes w/ black HSC w/ dark-red/violet interior, said to be the original

The dealer claims it to be a "Pre Historic" - but isn't the guitar too young, and too "Gold" for that?
From what I gathered round here, could it be an early CLASSIC Model?

Thank you all in advance for helping with identifying - after 20yrs of Strats, this may become my first Les Paul again... ;o)

PS: I KNOW. Should've taken pictures. Man can be stupid & forgetful in the face of a beautiful... guitar... (3 apologies in one post...oh my ;o)

Last edited:

El Gringo

I am going to guess a pre historic , as the Classic's came with nickel . Maybe it is a 93 . Also the round Custom Shop Logo says it all . If I am wrong please correct me ?

McJunior

Thanks El Gringo! :salude

Your input confirms what the seller is telling me - that's great for starters.
Still a bit confused since I used to think Pre-Historics were Re-Issues of the '59 (Nickel HW & pup-covers, ALNICO pups, neck profile...).

Do you happen to have any info on specs (esp. the pups)?
Did this guitar come with a pickguard, and would that black case be period/model-correct?

Moreover, if anyone of you can chime in w/ an estimate of a fair selling price (guitar is in good condition, some battles-scars around the headstock plus minor body wear), that would be just great.
Where I'm located, she is about 3/4 the price of a new LP Custom...

I've fallen in love with that guitar, I just want to make sure the seller and I end up in a deal fair for both sides...

Thanks in advance for any info you'll share!

El Gringo

I think the pickups might be the Gibson 57 Classic's . Which are a decent pickup . They are wax potted so if you play thru a high gain amp they will not squeal .This Les Paul has the slim profile neck as you also said . Have you had a chance to play the guitar ?
I also think if the guitar has a decent amount of figure in the maple top the pickguard would not be mounted and could be in the case pocket along with the bracket unless it was removed and separated from the case . I never mount the pickguard as I don't want to cover any good looking maple figure as it's to attractive to cover with the pickguard , but that falls under personal preference .

El Gringo

Out of curiosity does the black case have any logo on it ?

El Gringo

I have been checking on prices and they seem to be all over the place . I have to think between $2500-$3500 . If I were you that's would be my starting point and end point . That of course is your call to make . I would love to see some photos of the front and back of the guitar including the headstock front and back and also of the pickup cavities along with the control cavity if you can please . Talking about it has got my curiosity going ?

McJunior

Yea, my curiosity is sparked as well...
Let's work through your info/questions:
- I did get to play her (just foolishly forgot to take pics). Since then, I've been thinking about that guitar.
- I remember that in the 90ies, there were quite a few Pauls around w/ out the pick guards pre-mounted. And with her amount of flame, I probably wouldn't want to mount it either.
Still, in case of ever selling on, it'd be good to have it (and I remember these CLASSIC guards w/ the engraved "1960" - and the slim neck makes me think she might be an early CLASSIC model...
- ...which is why I will definitely check the pup-cavities (of course I'll also check the tenon). Afaik, there should be info on the model inside the cavities?
- The pups, well... I could only compare to an R8, and a Custom - both of which seemed to have less output than the guitar in question here.
- Yup, the case bears a Gibson-Logo.
- Price-wise, thanks a lot for your input - are your suggestions for a MINT (since this guitar here does have a few, albeit small, dings and marks?

How come you are curious, ElGringo? Do you happen to have a similar guitar?
I for one have not yet seen any Paul w/ STD-features and gold hardware before, and I'd rather know what I'm getting into before buying it.

Concerning pics, I will speak to the seller tomorrow - and who knows, I might have a lot of time to take pics, if I'll be taking her home...
I'll definitely post pics of her, and if one of you guys (ElGringo?;o) has any more info, I would surely appreciate sharing very much!

El Gringo

Greetings , I have a 1994 Les Paul Premium Plus Classic . Pickguard was not installed , and yes it has the 1960 marking on it . The pickups that came with mine were double black ceramic magnet pickups . Very small slim taper 60 profile neck . Les Paul Classic on the headstock .Nicely figured curly maple heritage cherry sunburst finish , weight is 9lbs . From your description I would guess yours was the early Custom Shop version which came with the Gold (deluxe ) hardware . From your description it sounds very nice and if you like it and she feels/sounds good to you and the $ amount is in your ball park range go for it . Would love to know more and if you make the decision to go ahead and purchase her . If you do let us know how you like her and how it works out . Best wishes . Recently I just got mine back from the tech as I had ThroBak's MXV-SLE-101 Plus pickups installed along with a ThroBak wiring harness with 500 K pots and Paper in Oil Bumble Bee caps installed and it sounds humongous as the wet blanket has been lifted off her and she is screaming .Where before her tone was dark and subdued and now she is just screaming/blasting . I had 57 Classic pickup in the neck and 57 Classic Plus in the bridge which were nice . Good Luck !

Big Al

The guitar is most likely a FSR Classic and not a prehistoric reissue.

McJunior

Hi ElGringo & Big Al,

well, it seems that in about 2hrs, I'll pick her up from the seller, and we'll finally have more opportunity to check what she is...

So, the CS DID offer a CLASSIC model after all?

I found some pics on the web showing a guitar extremely similar to the one in question. These are not mine, thus hopefully I will not offend anyone by posting them:

front.jpg

hs afront.jpg

hs back.jpg

El Gringo

From these photos to me it sure seems to be a prehistoric as I had guessed .

El Gringo

You know what ? I like it , and if the $ are right I would go for it .

Hamerfan

Its really easy to identify them: check the pickup routs.
The Classic have LPCPP or LPCP, the pre-historics carry a rubber stamps with Reissue (later on) and the color (HSBC).
Beginning with mid 1993 the Reissue should carry a long tenon. But the AAA Top indicates strongly a Reissue, the Classics were plain tops at that time before 1994.

Check here for examples for Classics (Last article on the page): https://www.lespaulforum.com/finalframes/frameset.htm

There is also an article by Mike on Reissues on that page.

Last edited:

AA00475Bassman

My 1991 Firebird 1 I ordered had the custom shop on back of head stock , I would say pre Historic .