• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2020 64 reissue ES 335's..

Cream Fan

This is one of my gripes with Gibson Custom reissues; i.e., they advertise and market some historic reissues as being authentic vintage "clones" of the originals. But then they substitute different materials that may look authentic, but are actually compromised cheaper parts. :dang

From what I understand, modern Nylon is made with a different hardener than was used in the days when they injection-molded the nuts. I believe that hardener is now banned by the EPA. Thus, the substitute, whatever it is, is softer. I've got an original Nylon saddle ABR-1 on my '64 SG and those saddles are really hard. That's why they were able to machine them.

Aloha_Ark

I requested pix..this guitar sold Saturday ..so which one you SOBs got it :hee

Not me. (I'm waiting on a 355). However, you can always pre-order one with a non-refundable deposit. Not sure if you can refuse what comes into the shop due to weight or finish.

Gold Tone

From what I understand, modern Nylon is made with a different hardener than was used in the days when they injection-molded the nuts. I believe that hardener is now banned by the EPA. Thus, the substitute, whatever it is, is softer. I've got an original Nylon saddle ABR-1 on my '64 SG and those saddles are really hard. That's why they were able to machine them.

Absolutely all of this

But the material they’re using is not even of the current highly stiff/hard nylon. It’s a different material, closer to plastic than nylon. It’s extremely soft. There is current material that is very hard, Gibson uses it for their nuts since what 2013? The saddles used to be that same hard grade...something very different now.

deytookerjaabs

Absolutely all of this

But the material they’re using is not even of the current highly stiff/hard nylon. It’s a different material, closer to plastic than nylon. It’s extremely soft. There is current material that is very hard, Gibson uses it for their nuts since what 2013? The saddles used to be that same hard grade...something very different now.

Well, speaking of plastic. ABS saddles, IMO, are closer to old stiff nylon saddles than the new stuff. I think they're a great and cheap alternative, have used many times.

Minibucker

Got an ABS set from Kluson. Haven't needed them for anything yet, but they do fit nice and snug in stock Gibson ABR-1 bridges.....unlike saddles actually from Gibson.

Mr. Legit

Ladies and gentlemen, my prayers have been answered, the first lefty ‘64 ES-335 Reissue made will be mine in two days! Gibson pulled through! This is going to be a very difficult wait!

garywright

Ladies and gentlemen, my prayers have been answered, the first lefty ‘64 ES-335 Reissue made will be mine in two days! Gibson pulled through! This is going to be a very difficult wait!

great for you ..I take it you’ll share some pix :salude

Mr. Legit

and way better than a walnut cracker:lol

I feel if you are going to own one 335, it needs to be that sweet cherry. I was lucky enough to personally hold and play upside down(lefty here) multiple times all the available examples at NAMM of this particular reissue along with others. The examples I held at NAMM were particularly close in neck size to a vintage ‘64 ES-335 I held at a vintage guitar shop nearby, so I feel they did a really good job with these in that arena. The new cases do indeed come with the Lifton badges now as well. I got photos from the dealer today, and the back has this birdseye figuring that is outstanding, but the fretboard isn’t as dark as I would like which I had no power over. However, fretboard doctor should fix that. I just hope it sounds as good as the ones I held at NAMM. I have a couple more guitars on order as well, but this one is a must for any guitar lover, as a cherry 335 like a cherry SG is nostalgic to all of us.

goldtop0

I feel if you are going to own one 335, it needs to be that sweet cherry. I was lucky enough to personally hold and play upside down(lefty here) multiple times all the available examples at NAMM of this particular reissue along with others. The examples I held at NAMM were particularly close in neck size to a vintage ‘64 ES-335 I held at a vintage guitar shop nearby, so I feel they did a really good job with these in that arena. The new cases do indeed come with the Lifton badges now as well. I got photos from the dealer today, and the back has this birdseye figuring that is outstanding, but the fretboard isn’t as dark as I would like which I had no power over. However, fretboard doctor should fix that. I just hope it sounds as good as the ones I held at NAMM. I have a couple more guitars on order as well, but this one is a must for any guitar lover, as a cherry 335 like a cherry SG is nostalgic to all of us.

I've gone with tobacco sunburst(my favourite finish and nostalgia trip) for my M2M.....with a very unique red burgundy perimeter like on one of EC's vintage 335s.... also an unbound very fat neck like the '58s that are no longer in production.

Mr. Legit

I'd love to see your guitar. How did you specify which Sunburst you wanted? I didn't know you could have them spray it a certain way. Anyways, here it is, otherwise, I've named this guitar Clifford after the cartoon dog. This is easily the best 335 I have ever played, but it is also the first true lefty I have ever owned. I spent all day playing it yesterday hence my absence. The neck is huge, and feels bigger than my Historic Makeovers one, and the neck on that one is butter. It has a beautiful soaring acoustic quality that is just incredible unplugged and plugged in. After comparing the True Historic parts, I have changed almost all the parts with either vintage or the best reproductions I could find. I am still waiting for the correct pickguard from MojoAxe though and I feel these photos are half done without it. I cannot see these photos on a mobile device, but on my PC they are huge, so I hope they come through!
Gibson%201964%20Reissue%20ES-335%20Full%20Front.jpg
Gibson%201964%20Reissue%20ES-335%20Back.jpg
Gibson%201964%20Reissue%20Headstock.jpg

Last edited:

goldtop0

I'd love to see your guitar. How did you specify which Sunburst you wanted? I didn't know you could have them spray it a certain way. Anyways, here it is, otherwise, I've named this guitar Clifford after the cartoon dog. This is easily the best 335 I have ever played, but it is also the first true lefty I have ever owned. I spent all day playing it yesterday hence my absence. The neck is huge, and feels bigger than my Historic Makeovers one, and the neck on that one is butter. It has a beautiful soaring acoustic quality that is just incredible unplugged and plugged in. After comparing the True Historic parts, I have changed almost all the parts with either vintage or the best reproductions I could find. I am still waiting for the correct pickguard from MojoAxe though and I feel these photos are half done without it. I cannot see these photos on a mobile device, but on my PC they are huge, so I hope they come through!
Gibson%201964%20Reissue%20ES-335%20Full%20Front.jpg
Gibson%201964%20Reissue%20ES-335%20Back.jpg
Gibson%201964%20Reissue%20Headstock.jpg

The pics don't show up unfortunately, maybe use Imgur as a site and they work okay from there as I've found recently.
Basically with a M2M as I've experienced you ask for the specific things you would like, the dealer then speaks with the Gibson rep and they take it from there. I sent a pic of the 335 to my dealer. Mine will get to me in maybe Jan/Feb '21 all going well.
Here's the pic I sent to them https://i.imgur.com/wlZxRCy.jpg hopefully CS will get it right on the day when they do the spray job .

Mr. Legit

The pics don't show up unfortunately, maybe use Imgur as a site and they work okay from there as I've found recently.
Basically with a M2M as I've experienced you ask for the specific things you would like, the dealer then speaks with the Gibson rep and they take it from there. I sent a pic of the 335 to my dealer. Mine will get to me in maybe Jan/Feb '21 all going well.
Here's the pic I sent to them https://i.imgur.com/wlZxRCy.jpg hopefully CS will get it right on the day when they do the spray job .

That is beautiful, I wish I had the space to take photos like that! I can see why that is one you’d love to copy!