• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2020 64 reissue ES 335's..

zoommutt

Wow. The prices have certainly gone up. I bought my Freddie King 345 at the same place for about 4 grand just 2 1/2 years ago. Moving close to Collings territory.

Last edited:

garywright

Elliot ..have you checked out one in person ..if so, I’m sure it was a right handed but what did you think of Gibson’s scan of an original ‘64. ( btw, you going for cherry, sunburst or a custom pelham ) :salude

Melodyman

Well some good news! I was able to sift thru tons of videos from the Namm show and found this one which actually shows in detail the new 59, 61 and 64 reissues that have been redone. Happy to report that it does indeed look like these are the closest reissues to the originals yet. In another vid from Namm the Gibson tech explains and finally get to hear the story about how they had to resculpt the original templates they had used for decades as they has worn down and were no longer accurate to the originals. This sure explains why they looked so.. flat.. In this clip you can actually see the reduced neck joint angle, the restored topography and while not as exaggerated as some vintage ones, its the closest yet.. and it also shows that they did indeed study the old vs the new and make a concerted effort to make them like they used to again. Note how in the clip the Gibson tech states that when you are holding one of these new 335's you are holding as close to the vintage ones as you can get..

Having heard this for so many decades with each new release I had prettymuch accepted that they would never really do an accurate reissue... and I thought the same again as the first pics came out. No close ups and no comparisons all seemed like another empty promise from them... This plus a total lack of any advertising bragging about its rebirth was lacking.
I happily stand corrected and will now be ordering one for myself. Still want to know if its a MTM thing because I would like the 61 dot slim neck profile on a 64 block model. If not I'll just get the 61 dot..

Watch this vid from 2:45 to see them and hear the story. And last buit not least, apologies to the LPF for prejudging.. but also, Gibson, please release the story with pics of old and new so all can see and compare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=cNfAgAZIdTo&feature=emb_logo

Last edited:

garywright

no detailed view of the ‘64 reissues ( which is what this thread is about ) did I miss something other than his claims which they claimed before at Winter NAMM

Melodyman

no detailed view of the ‘64 reissues ( which is what this thread is about ) did I miss something other than his claims which they claimed before at Winter NAMM

Gary there are a few other vids which have glimpses of the 64 but the body presses they used were re-sculpted and appear to be the same for the CS Historic 59, 61 and 64's.. The main difference being the necks..and the horns on the 64 are a bit more pointy..

Heres another clip with more closeups of the 64.. This Gibson guy knows his stuff more than the guy with the Gibson tshirt..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=321&v=zUj4sCinrnE&feature=emb_logo

Last edited:

Progrocker111

I would be interested in the neck angles on these new reissues, cause all Memphis ES3x5s i had were with too high unaccurate neck angle.

marshall1987

I'd be interested if I can find one that has a nice smooth/dark Indian rosewood fingerboard.

TM1

Why are these $1,200. more than they were in 2015? I don’t get it.. seems like a ripoff!

goldtop0

Gary there are a few other vids which have glimpses of the 64 but the body presses they used were re-sculpted and appear to be the same for the CS Historic 59, 61 and 64's.. The main difference being the necks..and the horns on the 64 are a bit more pointy..

Heres another clip with more closeups of the 64.. This Gibson guy knows his stuff more than the guy with the Gibson tshirt..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=321&v=zUj4sCinrnE&feature=emb_logo

Thanks for posting melodyman................answers a lot of questions that I didn't have an answer to previously:salude
Those sunburst 335s with the redish burgundy surround are just too good, might have to look at a fat necked '59........who knows:wow
None of the stores in the US have any of these in stock as yet from what I can see.

Last edited: