• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Telecaster Treble Bleed Bypass. Tele Twang

ALEX999

Hello!

I am trying to increase the Tele Twang on my Tele. It's has the usual squire parts. I'm after some bright clean sounds.
I installed a Treble Bleed Bypass consisting of a .0016uf Cap & a 150k resistor in parallel.
I like the change except the sounds are too thin & it shrills. Adjusting the tone knob helps a bit.

Can someone recommend a different combination of parts or a different way to get this done? I don't want to have to change pickups.

Thanks

PaulD

You could try experimenting with different values, lower value caps and/or higher value resistors will make it less bright (a 500pF cap and/or a 240K resistor might be a suitable starting point). Also putting the cap in series with the resistor might help as this will allow more mids through. Be aware that a treble bleed will only come into effect when the volume is rolled back, it will have little or no effect when the volume is turned up full.

If you want something that will affect the tone at full volume then changing to a higher value volume pot would be the way to go (possibly going from a 250K pot to 300K or even 500K).

Don

Move the wire from the tone control to the middle lug of the volume pot- the one that the output jack is connected to. This is similar to so called "Gibson '50s wiring". It will help retain highs when turning the volume down and it seems to give the guitar a tad more presence when the volume is cranked up.