• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Al Di Meola Black '59 LP on tour with JoeB?

Anje

Hello guys,

I haven't seen anything posted about it here so far so I thought I'd share & ask about it:
I've seen a recent post & picture from Al on his FB page, saying that Joe will take his old black '59 Les Paul for the coming tour. Very nice gesture from Al to let Joe borrow his old LP for the tour.
I'd be looking forward hearing that one in Joe's hands, Al is a big influence to me and those old albums from the 70's in particular are so iconic IMHO.
Joe, if you're reading don't hesitate to share more info and your thoughts on this :salude

SDMFVan

Joe's posted some photos of it on his IG page. I'm not sure if he's borrowing it or bought it, but I'm pretty sure he's swapped the pickups on it.

Anje

You're right, I was about to post that I may got that wrong: from reading some thread on another forum it sounds like Joe actually bought it?
I don't have an Instagram account but saw a few photos of him in a shop in Miami with the guitar in hand and some other after he installed a new double white (old PAF?) in the bridge:

@JBLPplayer, Joe looking forward your thoughts & feel on that one if you're reading this, and congrats if you bought it :salude
As I said above, Al is such an iconic player & musician to me and that LP must have seen so many great musical moments since the 70's.
Here's a random piece that sounds quite appropriate for this thread to me:

(What I think is that very guitar on the cover of Kiss my Axe album? and a title that echoes Joe's hunt for the best guitars out there).

Anje

Yes Tom, I think it's supposed to be this one:

I remember several threads here a few years ago where this guitar (and his main other old ones from the late 60's / early 70's he was pictures with) was discussed at lenght, where Andy Fuchs for instance shared his first hand experience with it.

J.D.

So if it's a refinished burst and Joe B now owns it, would it be a good assumption that Historic Makeovers will restore it back to a sunburst? Or does this guitar have some historical importance that would make a restoration taboo? :hmm

Tarcisioo

So if it's a refinished burst and Joe B now owns it, would it be a good assumption that Historic Makeovers will restore it back to a sunburst? Or does this guitar have some historical importance that would make a restoration taboo? :hmm

Whoever thinks a new refin would look better than a black 59 Les Paul with the flames popping behind the solid color, hell I would like to say that that he needs to be arrested, but everyone is entitled to their own opinions I guess. It sucks to be a moderated guy :##

84024569_600688873821811_2872139846012274809_n.jpg

Edit: I wish the pic was embed smaller so it would be less distorted here but here's the link: https://instagram.fmcz3-1.fna.fbcdn...=4ac08979be08675795246ec7d1dbdbfd&oe=5E86CC9D