• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NGD: LP Std TS

Wilson_smyth

Hi.

Seen a few NGD's so decided to share. Playing guitar on and off for 20 odd years. my first was an epiphone LP100 my dad saved hard to get me as it was all i wanted. Still have it and will be spending a rediculous amout on pots and pups, relative to the actual value of the guitar. At the time it had to be a gibson and that was the closest I could get.
Since then ive gotten a tokai LP, a fender strat, an acoustic and just because of growing up, my playing has diminished greatly, with almost no playing over the past decade.

Well, im now in a position to scratch that gibson itch, not far off 20 years on from my epiphone. Spent a good part of a day in a local music store playing all their les pauls. Tried 3 50s standards, 2 60s standards, a modern standard, a heritage & a studio. This one jumped out at me. There were prettier tops on some, but im kind of a fan of plain tops and i was really after a good player, not a looker.

Anyway, here she is, only really noticed she has a fairly pretty top when the desk lamp shone on her by accident yesterday.
Plays beautifully, and for me at least, it has something the tokai doesnt, its just easier to pull riffs out of this.
if its any interest, its 9lb 6, on the lighter side, a little less than average ill guess.

Anyway, here she is, hopefully ill keep it up this time. if this doesnt encourage me to keep at it, nothing will.

20200222_183451_s1.jpg20200222_183300s.jpg

Big Al

You did it right, now look what you got. F*** tops. Waaaaayy too much importance placed on how the flippin' top looks nowadays!! WTF!!!:bigal Maybe some folks should just buy a hunk a figured maple and just sit around and adore it. :bigal:bigal:bigal Where's The Flame is lame.

They all look good to me. You find the best playin', best sounding one you can find and bring it home, where it belongs and squiggly, wiggly, clear or grainy, it'll look just fine as it is. 'Cept maybe not that goofy lookin' thang. You might want to turn that light off!!:hee

Everything looks fine to me. Splendid Standard imo.

John Vasco

Nice LP, but...

It's a 'He', not a 'She'. Les Pauls have bollocks!

The girly guitar, Banjocaster, is a 'She'!

Sheesh!!!

:dude:

John Vasco

If you wanna see a pretty top, cop an eyeful of this:
BnbfQ0A.jpg

2009 '08 Standard.

nhwildbill

Excellent choice!
I too owned a LP100 as my first Les Paul, now I've got four - there really is something special about them.
And Big Al is right, it's about the feel more than the looks but like you I found both in my choices.

Enjoy and play long and well brother. :dude: