The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

Buying a 59 Burst for peanuts

Hi everyone !!......Great place BtW !

• I just registered here to ask a question !

• If I buy a 59 Burst from an old lady that her husband past away and left it to her

and she's selling it for $2000 not knowing it's real value and I decide to buy it and go away knowing
    that it's worth a quarter of a million dollar or more,

• Am I a new owner in peace or will I get sued for buying a Burst from

someone who didn't know the real value while I knew before I bought it ??

• This is a real story and this question always hunted me .

Les Paul Forum Member

Re: Buying a 59 Burst for peanuts

legally there should not be an issue unless the buyer misrepresented when buying the the guitar from the old Lady (as in, well it is a second hand guitar and it might be a chibson so I'm willing to get it off your hands for USD 200 to do you a favor, and then still it would be difficult to prove in court), morally it is a different story. If I would be in that position (and I have, albeit with a 65 oneowner strat) I would steer the seller to a more educated selling point. Now if she is stubborn, I would offer to sell it for her and split the profits (something like anything above X is split at 50/50)

Les Paul Forum Member

Asking these questions in the first place show your questionable mindset. Unless the widow is badshit rich and never would need that money, you will affect the rest of her life with your move. If she would be rich she wouldn´t sell the guitar for sure.
    You put a bad karma on that instrument. Be honest to her and see what happens.... separates boys from men. Trust me it either move will come full circle, the good and the bad.

The OP is a con fellas.................'hunted me' is a dead give away I'm afraid.

Damn!

He's being hunted!

That's haunting.

But that's in the passed...

Quote Originally Posted by anhy1213 View Post

• If I buy a 59 Burst from an old lady that her husband past away and left it to her

and she's selling it for $2000 not knowing it's real value and I decide to buy it and go away knowing

“Character is what you do when you think no one is looking.”

There are a lot of things that are legal that are wrong. If the only thing guiding your thought process is legal ramifications or getting caught then you have a lot of room for personal growth.

if you know this is a burst then help this lady find someone who can help her get the money out if the guitar. That is the right thing to do. You know it too or you wouldn’t ask.

Les Paul Forum Member duaneflowers's Avatar
    Behind a badass Lester somewhere in Japan

Karma is a bitch...
    Tone To The Bone!
    LP=[(CC*8)+(Sig*5)+(R9*2)+R8+R7+R6+(R4*2)+(50sT*2)+Stu D+LPX]+[(EpI*19)+(EsP/Ed*6)+(ToKi*3)+(Ba*3)+(Fe/Bu*2)+(ObG)+(CMS)]

Les Paul Forum Member

If "getting sued" is really your concern, ask an attorney. This sounds more like looking to a forum for "easing a guilty conscience". Doing the "right thing" is a million times more rewarding than feeling like you "bested" someone. There's a win-win in that scenario where the new owner feels great and the seller is pleasantly surprised in someone's good nature. It's never too late to fix that either.

In the Zone/Backstage Pass

Highly unlikely that this putative seller would even know enough to charge even the $2000. In real life, it might be more like $100. This whole post is bullsh*t...

Les Paul Forum Member

Don't rip off a elderly senior citizen . That is somebody's mom !

Les Paul Forum Member deytookerjaabs's Avatar

If someone is set and offers you something out of their goodness that's one thing. I know of musicians personally paying it forward to fellow musicians.

Anything else? If your mind is making it a question that's a reaction of your own humanity which will never leave you sans death or brain trauma.

Others can use rhetoric to make their justifications for how great they are and because of their superior "knowledge" they can cut a sweet deal or corner markets bla bla bla, but if you even question a move like that it means you know better. And, the act of knowing better isn't something we explain to the world around us with words or logic because in the end stupid will beat you to death with lots of wordy words that mean nothing.

Don't do it, ever. If you see a guitar that you can't afford at a sweet deal PM a good dude who can afford to get it at a fair price. We all want a deal, not to steal.

Quote Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
    We all want a deal, not to steal.

Agreed.

A few years back a customer of my wife had found a pre-CBS Strat cleaning out his father's belongings. Not knowing the value (non-guitarist) he took it to Guitar Center. Thankfully he wound up talking to the general manager, who in turn offered any guitar in the store as trade, but more importantly told him what he should really do - to get it properly appraised and sell it outright. Even with an appraiser, third party commission and final sale falling under top dollar the monetary difference was in the five figures.

Quote Originally Posted by goldtop0 View Post
    The OP is a con fellas.................'hunted me' is a dead give away I'm afraid.
    you do realize that was probably an auto-correct error that wasn’t proofread ?

Quote Originally Posted by sonar View Post
    Agreed.

A few years back a customer of my wife had found a pre-CBS Strat cleaning out his father's belongings. Not knowing the value (non-guitarist) he took it to Guitar Center. Thankfully he wound up talking to the general manager, who in turn offered any guitar in the store as trade, but more importantly told him what he should really do - to get it properly appraised and sell it outright. Even with an appraiser, third party commission and final sale falling under top dollar the monetary difference was in the five figures.
    A few years ago, when I was looking for L5s guitar, an excellent conditon one with the right features, mainly full size humbuckers and a decent weight, was going for between $4500 and $6000. Well I saw a post on the Gibson forum from a woman who was trying to identify what kind of guitar she had which she thought was some kind of Les Paul. I contacted her, and told her it was an L5s. She was looking to sell it as it was her husband's guitar, and he passed away many years earlier. She went to Guitar Center and they offered her $1900. She asked me what it was worth and I told her the truth, which worked out in my favor, as she wound up selling it to me for a totally reasonable price. I love this guitar...

Here's a song I did with it last week...
    https://soundcloud.com/daniel-weldon...ob-dylan-cover

Les Paul Forum Member ourmaninthenorth's Avatar

Bollocks.
    Shakespeare walks into a pub, the Landlord says "get out, you're Bard"

Quote Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post

Here's a song I did with it last week...
    https://soundcloud.com/daniel-weldon...ob-dylan-cover
    Daniel ..you’re like Calhoun Tubbs from the ole Living Color skit ....no matter what..here’s a song I wrote, wanta hear it ? ...goes sometin like this ...

Les Paul Forum Member AA00475Bassman's Avatar

BS meter needle broke on this one people ,Bored & lonely !
    Ive never confused owning a bunch of high end gear with being some kind of a guitar player I'm a hack and I love guitars !

The myth :The most disturbing thing about buying a fake Les Paul is how my research after the purchase is received by Forum members ??? 2020

The Myth: Neat wiring layouts always equate to great-sounding amps.

The Myth: If I would have lived with MOM & mooched till I was 48 I would play like Clapton !
    Think about it
    won't you ...... Please !

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar

Please tell us more.
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

Quote Originally Posted by garywright View Post
    Daniel ..you’re like Calhoun Tubbs from the ole Living Color skit ....no matter what..here’s a song I wrote, wanta hear it ? ...goes sometin like this ...
    I love those skits!!! I love to sings songs to my grandkids about everything!

( her husband past away and left it to her ) ?
    Ive never confused owning a bunch of high end gear with being some kind of a guitar player I'm a hack and I love guitars !

The myth :The most disturbing thing about buying a fake Les Paul is how my research after the purchase is received by Forum members ??? 2020

The Myth: If I would have lived with MOM & mooched till I was 48 I would play like Clapton !
    Think about it

In the Zone/Backstage Pass

Quote Originally Posted by AA00475Bassman View Post
    ( her husband past away and left it to her ) ?
    Yeah, he was playing a barnyard biker dance in St. Cloud, MN, when he accidentally backed into a threshing machine. All they managed to salvage was the guitar, and one bloody hand still clutching the neck in the first position. The shrivelled hand is still in the case, with the wedding ring still on it, and L-O-V-E tattooed on the knuckles...

I live in Backus MN. that made it's way to Colorado ?

Think about it

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar

Still nothing from the OP?
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

Les Paul Forum Member

If this was a serious question, which btw implies the answer is known, this thread would have been something like, hey guys, i knew I paid to little to that widow years ago, but it haunted me. So I found her family and made it good. Now I am OK again.

Here is that great guitar!
    Last edited by CptZar; 02-26-20 at 12:07 PM.

Les Paul Forum Member duaneflowers's Avatar
    Behind a badass Lester somewhere in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wittrock View Post
    Not the kind of support he was looking for I guess...
    Tone To The Bone!
    LP=[(CC*8)+(Sig*5)+(R9*2)+R8+R7+R6+(R4*2)+(50sT*2)+Stu D+LPX]+[(EpI*19)+(EsP/Ed*6)+(ToKi*3)+(Ba*3)+(Fe/Bu*2)+(ObG)+(CMS)]

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wittrock View Post
    I wouldn't hold my breath for a response .

Think about it

I have a friend that ran across a vintage strat for sale by a widow who did not know the value of the guitar. He told her the value of the guitar and told her what he could afford which was much less than the going rate. He explained the market value of the guitar and that if he bought the guitar he would not be buying it to resell but he would play it for his own enjoyment and he would keep it in great condition as her husband did. He offered to put her in contact with a collector or dealer that would offer her much than he could pay but the dealer would certainly offer and less than retail. But if she sold it to him he would be buying it for the love of playing and enjoying the guitar rather than a way to make money with a resale or as just one more guitar in a collection where it might spend most of it’s time unplayed in a case. She said if she gave it to her children they would just sell it for the money. She said her husband cherished the guitar and she wanted someone to have it that would enjoy it as her husband did. She sold my friend the guitar at price he offered. In a case like this I think everyone won.

Read with a tone of EXTREME SARCASM...

Hey... Why not just smack the Old Bag in the head with a baseball bat, take the guitar, sell it at Mechum Actions to Rick Nielsen for 350K and live happily ever after...

Geeeeez man... What the hell is wrong with people...
    Stop by and get reacquainted with The all NEW Fender Forum

"...put aside the alienation, get on with the fascination, the real relation, the underlying theme."
    Neil Peart (September 12, 1952 - January 7, 2020)