• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1991 Firebird gets new wiring harness with VIPots

gsg

Loving my Firebird even more after fitting a Jackson Electronic Luthier wiring harness (550k VIPots & Vitamin Q .022uF caps). Guitar has Seymour Duncan Antiquities (Firebird) and Tone Pros ABR-2. Amp is Orange Retro 50, cab is Gladius 2x12" open, Scumback M-65 and H-65. All tone changes via pickup selection and volume / tone knobs.

I like the VIPots very much indeed. Great taper, not too stiff and gives a ton of different tones at your fingers.

mdubya

Sounds beautiful.

Much better than the stock ceramic pickups. :hank

latestarter

Nice tones. Played my 76 Bicentennial last night (thanks F-hole) and was reminded how great those minis are with a hot amp.

I had some vintage spec pickups rings made that fit the Duncan’s properly around the case. Duncan are the only manufacturer I know making the correct vintage Firebird pickup dimensions. The mounting holes don’t line up with the modern pick up rings however. If you wanted to see a photo let me know and I will email you one. I have a few sets left.

AA00475Bassman

Grant's Nickel rings & Duncans, Thank again Grant !!
TAs6153.jpg
[/IMG]

AA00475Bassman

Sounds beautiful.

Much better than the stock ceramic pickups. :hank
I own both ceramic & alnico Firebird pickups nothing wrong with ceramic magnets different yes .

When I read some of this I think of Forum Kool- Aid .

With things being Subjective I’ve heard some really great tones with ceramic IMO !

Last edited:

renderit

I own both ceramic & alnico nothing wrong with ceramic magnets different yes .

With things being Subjective I’ve heard some really great tones with ceramic IMO !

I can agree with this.
I remember back in the seventies when ceramic was the rage!
(That's why I have such a collection of Alnico magnets, because everyone wanted those new ceramics!)
I'll bet a BUNCH of recordings back then might have had LP's and 335's with ceramics in them...

mdubya

I own both ceramic & alnico Firebird pickups nothing wrong with ceramic magnets different yes .

It is possible the ceramic formula has changed over the years.

I have owned the ceramic version and they are part of the reason I sold the guitar.

If you like them, more power to you.

I am working towards another 'bird with traditional Firebird pickups (I have a Firebird with P-90's and a Custom Shop model with stock full sized humbuckers). Most likely they will be ceramic. If they sound good, I will stick with them. If I don't like them, I know there are many options to suit my preferences.

I drink coffee, water, or tequila (or occasionally grappa), so not kool-aid. I am anything but a forum "yes-boy." I draw my own conclusions.

I thought the ceramics were just OK, clean, in the middle and neck positions. The bridge pickup, never liked it.

rockabilly69

I'm not a fan of the ceramics in Firebird pickups myself. A big thing with modern firebird pickups is the really high DC resistance. But, I do love the ceramic magnets in my low output Tarback humbuckers that are in my L5s guitars...

https://soundcloud.com/daniel-weldon-1/seven-days-with-gibson-l5s-bob-dylan-cover

It is possible the ceramic formula has changed over the years.

I have owned the ceramic version and they are part of the reason I sold the guitar.

If you like them, more power to you.

I am working towards another 'bird with traditional Firebird pickups (I have a Firebird with P-90's and a Custom Shop model with stock full sized humbuckers). Most likely they will be ceramic. If they sound good, I will stick with them. If I don't like them, I know there are many options to suit my preferences.

I drink coffee, water, or tequila (or occasionally grappa), so not kool-aid. I am anything but a forum "yes-boy." I draw my own conclusions.

I thought the ceramics were just OK, clean, in the middle and neck positions. The bridge pickup, never liked it.

latestarter

I think the ceramic bird pickups have a place. I heard some old recordings the other day of my ‘93 VII and those pickups actually sounded pretty good in the context.

its what you do with them that counts most.

gsg

The Duncans I have in here were quite a journey. Arrived with an out of phase middle position which they corrected. Then they were unusably microphonic so I had them potted and the bridge rewound to be a bit fatter and less harsh. Add to that the bending of the feet on the pickup so they run more parallel to the strings and now the wiring harness and I finally feel the tones are there - phew!

If only the pickup height screws wouldn‘t keep turning themselves under playing conditions (had to tape them to stabilise) and I‘d be a happy camper 😀

mdubya

The Duncans I have in here were quite a journey. Arrived with an out of phase middle position which they corrected. Then they were unusably microphonic so I had them potted and the bridge rewound to be a bit fatter and less harsh. Add to that the bending of the feet on the pickup so they run more parallel to the strings and now the wiring harness and I finally feel the tones are there - phew!

If only the pickup height screws wouldn‘t keep turning themselves under playing conditions (had to tape them to stabilise) and I‘d be a happy camper 😀

Thanks for the additional info gsg.

A dab of thread locker (loctite) or nail polish may help with the p/u height screws turning.

gsg

Nice tones. Played my 76 Bicentennial last night (thanks F-hole) and was reminded how great those minis are with a hot amp.

I had some vintage spec pickups rings made that fit the Duncan’s properly around the case. Duncan are the only manufacturer I know making the correct vintage Firebird pickup dimensions. The mounting holes don’t line up with the modern pick up rings however. If you wanted to see a photo let me know and I will email you one. I have a few sets left.

Hi Grant,

Sent you an email to the address in your profile a week ago re the rings, just checking it didn’t end up in your spam...