• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

G String Intonation and Tuning Stability (one solution)

musekatcher

Ok, I was having major issues with the B and G string not returning to pitch after bends or aggressive playing on a Les Paul. Purchased new, all stock, good setup actually from the factory/store, etc. Low friction nut, and stock 9's for strings. I started with polishing the nut grooves. Then I angled the nut grooves. Then I applied various lubricants, including curable solid film lubes, etc. But, it persisted. I just lived with it for a couple years - TILL - I was changing strings on another guitar, and decided to go from 10's to 9s, and there it was, same issues not returning to pitch. This guitar had never had any issues, and could take wicked bends and go right back to pitch. After a few weeks, I put 10's back on, and the stability returned. You know what's next - I put 10's on my Les Paul. Yep, it pretty much fixed it. I played it on a 4 hr gig, and barely had to tweak it, no more than normal for any guitar. I know some folks want to play 9s, and they eventually get their guitars to behave, but I just wanted to share for those who might benefit.

denwing

What mfg strings did you have the issue with? Wondering if hex versus round core has anything to do with it? Any tuning stability issues I've experienced was related to the nut. Nice that you figured it out. :salude

marshall1987

What mfg strings did you have the issue with? Wondering if hex versus round core has anything to do with it? Any tuning stability issues I've experienced was related to the nut. Nice that you figured it out. :salude

The OP indicated the tuning issue was with the unwound B and G strings. There is no separate core in an unwound guitar string.

Start with the most simple/basic and work up from there.

1. I would first look to the method used to wind/wrap the strings around the tuner posts. There are several tried-and-true methods recommended to securely wrap the string around the posts. I would start here, then next;

2. I'm sure everyone realizes this.....but worth repeating. When you restring a guitar with fresh strings, they will continue to stretch for a short period of time. The best way to overcome this is to manually stretch the strings with you hands. GENTLY tug on the strings near the middle of the fingerboard a few times. In spite of this, guitar strings will continue to stretch indefinitely, as long as they are under tension. That's just the nature of metal strings.

3. And occasionally, the string windings around the tuner posts may have a slight amount of slack. I use a quality string winder to "exercise" or rotate the tuners back and forth, after installing new strings. This helps reduce any slack around the posts.

I recall back in the day... guitar players outfitted their Les Pauls with Grovers, and they played the same guitar all night. In most cases, they tuned by ear once the band took the stage, and didn't give it a second thought. :salude