• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1979 The Paul "Custom"

Strings Jr.

I posted a little about this guitar in someone else’s thread a few years ago, but have now decided to give it it’s own thread. It’s one of a small run of maybe 25 or so. They were sent to some of the top dealers at that time to “test the waters” for a possible new model. Unfortunately, the price of walnut suddenly skyrocketed to the point that it was no longer profitable, and the project was canned.
I always loved the tone of the walnut guitars we made. There was a noticeable difference to me from the everyday mahogany/maple offerings.
What I didn’t like about these guitars was the fact that they went through the trouble to add body and neck binding, a bound peghead veneer, and a lacquer/buffed finish, but still used cheap tuners and no covers on the pickups. To me, all these extra appointments just screamed “Custom”. So I built mine with gold hardware.
I recently changed the pickups to a set of early 80’s PAF’s that I had. They have black-chrome covers with gold pole pieces and adjusting screws. They had never been installed in anything when I found them, and still had the factory plastic on the covers. I think they look great against the walnut.
It has a three-piece walnut neck with an ebony fingerboard. Something that I never realized until recently is the way the body is made. It has multiple pieces on the top, and multiple pieces on the back. I don’t recall seeing any other Gibson made like this. Probably not the most desirable construction method, but it does sound great.

deytookerjaabs

Yes! Look at that spot for the toggle switch too.... How many hidden gems you smugglin' over there in the hills??? :salude

brandtkronholm

That is a very cool looking guitar!

I always loved the tone of the walnut guitars we made. There was a noticeable difference to me from the everyday mahogany/maple offerings.

What is the difference that you hear?

I could imagine this guitar as a 24-fret model!

:salude

Big Al

Strings Jr, Thank you so much for all the real interesting and cool stuff you share. So many just write off or ignore the 70's and 80's era as junk. Wrong, so wrong and so very many cool models and variations. So thanks, brother.

This guitar is just sweet. I liked the walnut The Paul and won an award for selling so many. Walnut is an exceptional tone wood. The thing that stands out are the mids. Not over pronounced but present and growly when you dig in. Supply is the only negative.

Strings Jr.

That is a very cool looking guitar!

What is the difference that you hear?

I could imagine this guitar as a 24-fret model!

:salude
The difference is exactly as Big Al described. It's in the mids. Not overly pronounced, but just enough to be ... different. In a very, warm, pleasing way.

Strings Jr.

Strings Jr, Thank you so much for all the real interesting and cool stuff you share. So many just write off or ignore the 70's and 80's era as junk. Wrong, so wrong and so very many cool models and variations. So thanks, brother.

This guitar is just sweet. I liked the walnut The Paul and won an award for selling so many. Walnut is an exceptional tone wood. The thing that stands out are the mids. Not over pronounced but present and growly when you dig in. Supply is the only negative.
No Big Al, thank YOU!! Your experience and wisdom is priceless. What I would give to attend a couple of semesters at the Big Al School of Gibson!!

So true about the 70's and 80's era guitars. I know there have been lots of great guitars since then, but when it comes to sound and playability, those guitars don't take a back seat to nothing. I was at a local guitar store recently and the owner showed me a new LP Studio he had gotten in. I didn't want to offend him, and sorry if anyone is offended here, but that guitar looked and felt like a toy compared to what I was used to.

brandtkronholm

...Walnut is an exceptional tone wood. The thing that stands out are the mids. Not over pronounced but present and growly when you dig in.

The difference is exactly as Big Al described. It's in the mids. Not overly pronounced, but just enough to be ... different. In a very, warm, pleasing way.

Very interesting. Thanks!

I'm imagining the possibilities of a singing-sword/Santana type lead tone from the walnut...

Anje

Very nice & interesting, thanks for sharing!
Does the body look slightly thinner than a "standard" LP body?

Strings Jr.

Very nice & interesting, thanks for sharing!
Does the body look slightly thinner than a "standard" LP body?
Yes. It's about a quarter inch thinner than a normal LP.

It has a belly cut on the back and a volute on the neck.
Such a pleasure to play. :hank

snag

I've never seen those crank tuners before. I should get out more often. Great looking guitar!

Anje

Thanks Strings Jr. It does look like a great instrument, must sound nice in that old Super Reverb :salude
I like in particular the custom binding look with that crown inlay headstock, very nice.