• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

What should I do with this SG? Ser# search showed it might be 1969.

tbkahuna

I have looking at information on this forum for a while now. I just registered and this is my first post.

This SG has been in the closet for the last 20 years or so. It had a broken headstock back then. I always wanted an SG, so I got it for not much. A guitar buddy said he knew someone that could fix the headstock and had a nearby guitar shop. Off it went, and when I got it back, it looked just like in the pictures. I don't remember what it had for bridge and tailpiece on it originally, but the holes are there for some sort of vibrato. It has the original P90s in it as far as I know, and they look like originals. It looks like the knobs were replaced, and I don't recall if the pots or wiring were replaced. It has Grovers on it. The neck on it feels super skinny to me. It is really nice to play and sounds good.

I am trying to find out if it is indeed a 1969. Also, as it sits, can it be "restored" to have any meaningful value or what is it worth like it is?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Rob

20200219_202506.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20200219_202605.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20200219_202520_1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

mdubya

We need better pictures

You can click on the pictures to open in photobucket for full quality (pb is a PITA, though).

OP - the guitar looks authentic to that era. Can we see the headstock break? Also, opening the control cavity to photograph the pot codes would help date the guitar. And imgur is a better photo host than photobucket. :peace2

A high quality repair would make it worth roughly 50% of what a non-broken example in otherwise similar condition would bring.

To me, it would be worth repairing because it is likely a monster of a guitar, tone wise.

And there is the possibility of the value going up over time if you repair it. I would preserve everything else about the guitar, aside from getting a proper wraparound bridge on it.

AA00475Bassman

Nice guitar seeing if I understand correctly the break was repaired I would play it & see how it would intonate with a stock tail piece . Or just play the guitar as is IMO I do very little other than play .

Guitar Whiskey

I'm a huge fan of these guitars. The tones achievable make it worth restoring; yes. Live at Leeds!

Pp577qq.jpg

tbkahuna

Thanks for the information. I haven't used imgur, but will look at doing that. I will have to take a picture of the repair. Yes, it was repaired when I got it about 20 years ago.

As for the guitar, the pot codes are 1376850, which was verified as the end of 1968. The serial number is 536971, which from what I was able to find was 1969ish.

It sounds really nice. The pickups were really low (about .300" from the strings), and the bass strings sounded really bassy and didn't break up as soon as the treble strings. I raised the bridge pickup and it is now much better. I think it has 11 to 46 strings on it now.

I found out the bridge on it is a Leo Quan Badass bridge. Mdubya, you mentioned a proper wraparound bridge for this. What would you recommend?

I didn't hear any fret issues when playing it the other day.

AA00475Bassman, you mentioned checking intonation with a stock tailpiece. I only have what is on it now. I never had the Vibrola parts. Do you mean the Vibrola type with a different bridge, or like Mdubya, a different wraparound?

Thanks again for the help.
[SUB][SUP]<strike>
</strike>[/SUP][/SUB]

mdubya

Thanks for the information. I haven't used imgur, but will look at doing that. I will have to take a picture of the repair. Yes, it was repaired when I got it about 20 years ago.

As for the guitar, the pot codes are 1376850, which was verified as the end of 1968. The serial number is 536971, which from what I was able to find was 1969ish.

It sounds really nice. The pickups were really low (about .300" from the strings), and the bass strings sounded really bassy and didn't break up as soon as the treble strings. I raised the bridge pickup and it is now much better. I think it has 11 to 46 strings on it now.

I found out the bridge on it is a Leo Quan Badass bridge. Mdubya, you mentioned a proper wraparound bridge for this. What would you recommend?

I didn't hear any fret issues when playing it the other day.

AA00475Bassman, you mentioned checking intonation with a stock tailpiece. I only have what is on it now. I never had the Vibrola parts. Do you mean the Vibrola type with a different bridge, or like Mdubya, a different wraparound?

Thanks again for the help.
[SUB][SUP]<strike>
</strike>[/SUP][/SUB]

There is nothing wrong with the Bad Ass bridge, I just don't like them. Personal preference. I would get a repro of the stock wraparound. Again, personal preference.

Everything points to that guitar being a '69. I didn't read your OP well enough to catch that it is already repaired. In which case, I would say let 'er rip as is and enjoy a great 60's Gibson. If the headstock repair is stable and playable, it is not worth the cost or effort to "fix" it again. JMHO. :peace2

FWIW - I love the short Maestro Vibrolas on these. If you can find the correct vintage version, it might be worth buying and storing in the case if you are concerned about future value. But with the headstock repair, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

VamboRool

If you change to a wrap around bridge, you have two choices: one for a plain third string or one for a wound third. Get the one for the string gauge you use otherwise your third string intonation will be off.

Cuffy Parks

Nice looking piece. The pots will help tremendously if they are original. Also serialization is pretty accurate for the 60’s era if you understand all the bouts and neck differences. You still have the dot of the “I”. Any additional pics out there?