• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

'temporary' spray paint over poly?

tarlton

I have a newish medium-cheap Epi burst guitar and want to keep the center color & create a new outer shape/color. Is there a rattle-can paint that will dissolve in something to remove it and not affect the poly coating;? (so if i want to sell the guitar down the line it can be made stock again.)

It's just for stage work & basically doesn't need to look fantastic up close. I've done lots of painting guitars with Liquitex Acryl, Gloss Polymer Medium etc. to pretty good effect for what i like...And I've been able to remove it when i get tired of the look. It's amazing what can be done with simple tools. Hide glue was used once for a really nice fake amber jewel/scrawl for a pickguard. I once used colored pencils & water-proofed it with hair spray and it's lasted 15 years just fine.

Don't want to get into buying spray guns or look for anybody because it shouldn't be that big a deal. What would dissolve car paint? And would car paint or its solvent cloud that gnarly (epoxy?) finish...? Is there a water-based semi/gloss black spray paint? Craft paint? Graffitti paint? Child-friendly spray paint? I seem to recall a spray paint that was almost a powder, for slate boards or big plastic display boards. Cheap is the operative word!

Any info is appreciated :)

Iguana

There’s are a number of temporary spray ants on the market. I think Plasti Dip makes a rattle can. Plastic Dip has a pretty good rep in the automotive world. There are others as well. I would search out a few products and then reach out to their customer care line or website. They would be the most likely to know what effect their product would have.

tarlton

thanks! That is the sort of thing i"m after.

I just found MTN WATER BASED SEMI-TRANSPARENT BLACK. It's for graffitti, says water-proof after drying & not sure what would disolve it or what guitara finish would look like after. Plastic Dip looks safer.

Thank you, T