• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Sticky feeling to 2013 R9.

Jared Purdy

Greetings,

I went and checked out a 2013 R9 that I sold six years ago. Miraculously, the want ad that I posted in Kijiji was answered by the very person I sold it to. Turns out he hardly ever played it, and was willing to sell it back to me. He said it was in the same condition that I sold it to him in, which was mint. He has a humidity controlled studio, which is where it's been the entire time, apparently.

Upon first picking it up, and running my hand over the neck and the entire body, back and front, it had a noticeably uncomfortable, sticky feeling to it. It wasn't dusty. I don't recall it being like that when I bought it, or when I sold it. I did a Google search, and it seems that some Les Pauls (maybe other guitars too), over some periods had that affliction. The explanations for it were all over the map, from personal body chemistry, to geographical location (in which case you'd literally have to move!!), to an inherent problem with the specific mix of the nitro that was used at different periods.

Most of the comments that I read seem to indicate that this was an issue on the Traditional model (not my experience when I had one in 2012) and the Standard (can't verify that as I never had one). I don't recall seeing any user feed back regarding this being an issue on Custom Shop models, but I didn't do an exhaustive search.

What would cause this to happen? This guitar is now seven years old, and has seen minimal use in six of its' years. Cheers.

Tim Plains

Sticky nitro has always been an issue with these. The "fix" on a newer guitar is to leave it out and wipe it down every time but your guitar is seven years old. Personally, I would use Zippo fluid on a cloth and see if that helps, maybe try it a few times. Zippo fluid is nitro safe.

Jared Purdy

Sticky nitro has always been an issue with these. The "fix" on a newer guitar is to leave it out and wipe it down every time but your guitar is seven years old. Personally, I would use Zippo fluid on a cloth and see if that helps, maybe try it a few times. Zippo fluid is nitro safe.

Thanks. I passed on buying it. I recently bought a 2019, 60th Anniversary R9 and was contemplating returning it and buying back my old R9 as the top on it is really quite something. My thinking was that I'd get my old one back, and save a bunch over what I paid for the new one. However, that plan went out the window when I saw how sticky it was. That's not a problem I wanted to tackle. The new one doesn't have quite the top of the 2013, but it has zero issues and is as smooth as silk. However, I'll pass your tip on to the owner. It sounds like he may be having second thoughts on getting rid of it anyways.

renderit

Big Al recommended Naptha.
I had not used it for YEARS but it absolutely did the trick on an old 62 Junior I have.
Took a few times of rubbing it down and buffing with my hand but the results were great!
I think whoever owned it before me must have had sweat that reacted with the nitro.
It was kinda milky looking and sticky but the nitro cleaned off whatever was on it and after a day it hardened up and now feel normal.

mdubya

You are in Canada? I would just contact Tom Bartlett and be done with it. Order the guitar of your dreams from him. TB can give you a hard nitro finish that you will never be able to get with a Gibson Historic.

I have had sticky nitro guitars before and leaving them out and constant rubbing with a cloth "cured" them, eventually. It took some time, though. I think I used Carnauba wax, too. Not sure if that helped or not.

Jared Purdy

You are in Canada? I would just contact Tom Bartlett and be done with it. Order the guitar of your dreams from him. TB can give you a hard nitro finish that you will never be able to get with a Gibson Historic.

I have had sticky nitro guitars before and leaving them out and constant rubbing with a cloth "cured" them, eventually. It took some time, though. I think I used Carnauba wax, too. Not sure if that helped or not.

Thanks, I've never heard of him. Is he a luthier? Yes, I'm in Toronto. Cheers.

mdubya