• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Twin reverb reissue tube question

Big Al

Detwinalise! Great word!

(oh yeah, love the pull- boost!!!)

Pull Boost not on Reissues, but on Silverface Twins that have this abomination it is always smart to remove it from the circuit, [an easy thing to do], and then rewire the Master Volume as a ppimv. A lot of times that's all you need along with a good pair of speakers to fix up a sf Twin.

ourmaninthenorth

I don't know why, but threads of this nature always put me in mind of that "we're gonna need a bigger boat " scene in Jaws.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
Pull Boost not on Reissues, but on Silverface Twins that have this abomination it is always smart to remove it from the circuit, [an easy thing to do], and then rewire the Master Volume as a ppimv. A lot of times that's all you need along with a good pair of speakers to fix up a sf Twin.

I was totally kidding about the pull boost. Mine was bypassed. I don't bother with PPIMV, but I did do a variable NFB on mine. New tolex and grill were done at the same time.

El Gringo

Pedal in front means your hearing a pedal.

Yeah you can get a lot different sounds from pedals. At that point the amp matters less and less. Twins are great for that! Too much distortion from an amp softens the sparkle and immediacy of the pedals.

The right amp meshing well with the right pedal can be magical, too.

Ah, the tone quest.

I agree with your assessment . I have found out myself with my Marshall's (2555X's) "Too much distortion from an amp softens the sparkle and immediacy of the pedals " To me going back to my Fender days , some pedals worked much better with the Twin versus Marshall .

Sol

I've experimented with yellow jackets in both vintage 50watt and a '97 35th anniversary Marshall plexi.
The breadth and depth of tone lost with the yellow jackets wasn't compensation for earlier, reduced volume overdrive.
I'm not saying that they have no place, but reported results in smaller wattage amps have been more positive in offering a workable alternative, such as a one or two 6v6gt amp for example.

My brother has been wedded to his twin reverb for 25 yrs and after much switching and swapping has found 4 or 5 pedals that give him incredible drive tones, from subtle to 'run for cover', if you know what I mean.

We live in a golden age where pedals are concerned I've no doubt you will find all you need to put your music across.

I thought it useful to clarify points, I and others have made here. Yellow Jackets reduce volume but given that the twin is a loud clean amp it's a question of pushing your preamp into natural overdrive. This is best achieved using pedals designed for just this purpose.

There are too many to list here, so I'll limit myself only to those I've used when borrowing my brother's silver face Twin.

1: maxon 0D 820.
2: Way Huge Red Llama.
3. Crowther Hotcake 'bluesberry' version.
4. Boss SD-1 (moded versions by or based on Keeley/ Analogman worth considering but not essential)

Buy keeping the output high or at max your pushing the twin into that sweet compression/overdrive spot just by overloading the input stage, your then free to bring as much of your pedals drive stage as suits your needs.

There's one more approach, I'll touch on and this is valve pre amps. One of our favourite venues to play on the UK club circuit was a small intimate venue in Chester that simply couldn't accommodate the volume of my treble boosted Vox AC30 /Les Paul combo at the volume required. I bought one of the first Marshall Blues Breaker pedals, still a favourite but not with a Treble Booster in front.

After a lot of help and good advice I solved this with a Mesa V Twin pre amp. I put my treble booster in front of the V Twin, instantly giving me the genuine valve overdrive I needed at any volume, and with the help of additional eq was able match the voicing of the Mesa V Twin to my AC30.
Given that the clean channel on the V Twin is far closer in voicing to a Fender Twin than it is to a Vox I had to mention that this pre amp, if you can find one is an option you might want to consider.

PaulD

It may be worth pointing out that the OP who asked the question currently has 3 posts to their name, two of those were starting threads asking essentially the same question about this amp and the other was asking about an effects pedal that wasn't working. Despite the fact that many people have offered advice at no point has the OP taken any further part in the threads, not even to acknowledge the fact that people have tried to help. Probably not worth bothering to try to help them!

Sol

It may be worth pointing out that the OP who asked the question currently has 3 posts to their name, two of those were starting threads asking essentially the same question about this amp and the other was asking about an effects pedal that wasn't working. Despite the fact that many people have offered advice at no point has the OP taken any further part in the threads, not even to acknowledge the fact that people have tried to help. Probably not worth bothering to try to help them!

I didn't realise, thanks for pointing this out. Like yourself it takes quite some time to craft a reply to an enquiry, there are so many variables to consider.
However, I prefer to give the benefit of doubt whenever possible. I'm more active on our forum now due to having more time to devote to my favourite forum.

I've asked for advice on the LPF in the past and due to other pressing commitments, have been unable to respond for many days. Giving the impression that I don't care. This was never the case.

Let's see if the O. P. gets back, and take it from there?

PaulD

Yes, agreed. I'm always happy to try to answer questions, offer advice, or debunk myths, particularly when it relates to amps or electronics as that is my area of expertise. However I have noticed this quite a few times recently where people join up to the forum, ask a question and are never heard from again.

It's a shame because it tends to make me think twice before taking the time to post a reply if the thread starter is a new user with one post.