The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Les Paul Forum Member

Re: Fit and Finish question on my new 2019 Gibson Original Collection 50's Les Paul

Quote Originally Posted by El Gringo View Post
    Who cares what Epiphone does . It's all about historical accuracy as that's what true Les Paul enthusiast want !
    Epiphone copy the LP. Aesthetically their pickguard assembly looks identical except it doesn't leave a mark on the top of the $350 guitar.
    You're telling me that "Les Paul enthusiasts" WANT a mark under the pickguard on their $2000 guitar? They actually want that? Well I don't.

Les Paul Forum Member

Re: Fit and Finish question on my new 2019 Gibson Original Collection 50's Les Paul

tbh I just wouldn't take it off in the first place...why mess with an already perfect guitar?

Quote Originally Posted by sunking101 View Post
    Epiphone copy the LP. Aesthetically their pickguard assembly looks identical except it doesn't leave a mark on the top of the $350 guitar.
    You're telling me that "Les Paul enthusiasts" WANT a mark under the pickguard on their $2000 guitar? They actually want that? Well I don't.
    Any shop owner can eliminate the problem of the longer screw and nut combination contacting the top of the guitar under the pick guard in about five seconds once the guard is off: Pliers holding screw - grinder - noise - screw 3/32" shorter - reassemble. If one wants the screw so short (or the top carve won't clear anything but the absolute minimum screw/nut thickness), just leave the little lock washer off and use a little "adjustable" lock-tight on the screw (blue). Don't get any lock-tight on the guitar finish. The screw can then be 1/32" shorter and still get good footing in the nut.

The pick guard and mount were designed in the current configuration so that inexact pickup ring placement and slight variances in the top carve could be accommodated while keeping the guard exactly where it needs to be against the top carve on the edge between the pickup rings - and - just off the edge of the rings to avoid binding and squeak. The bracket sometimes needs to be bent just a hair to put the guard at the right angle to work this out. It's easy to do, takes just a little bit of fiddling.

The bracket needs to be pretty robust as this area gets a fair amount of playing pressure over time, yet needs to be easily adjusted. It's a time-tested design, not particularly crude given the strength requirement, and can be easily adjusted. These old designs actually work very well and aren't as easy to replace as it might appear.

Mr. Easton is right: The bracket on the OP's guitar was affixed with a bit too much torque. Some 3000 grit paper and a polish will smooth out the edges a bit. Playing wear will quickly exceed the cosmetic importance of this unless the guitar is more of a trophy than a music maker.

There is always PRS...

Les Paul Forum Member

Nobody said you had to buy a Gibson guitar . You still have choices . My very First electric from when I was a kid has this mark/indentation under the pickguard from the bolt on the bracket on my Gibson Les Paul Custom . Big deal , as I can't see it and can't worry about something that is out of sight and out of mind . Folks have kindly suggested fixes for this by bending the bracket a little bit and getting the bolt/screw off the wood underneath the pickguard ,which is easy to do . I don't want to see something out of the ordinary as I have been playing Gibson Les Paul's for over 43 years . To sum up we have choices in life .

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KR1 View Post
    Any shop owner can eliminate the problem of the longer screw and nut combination contacting the top of the guitar under the pick guard in about five seconds once the guard is off: Pliers holding screw - grinder - noise - screw 3/32" shorter - reassemble. If one wants the screw so short (or the top carve won't clear anything but the absolute minimum screw/nut thickness), just leave the little lock washer off and use a little "adjustable" lock-tight on the screw (blue). Don't get any lock-tight on the guitar finish. The screw can then be 1/32" shorter and still get good footing in the nut.

The pick guard and mount were designed in the current configuration so that inexact pickup ring placement and slight variances in the top carve could be accommodated while keeping the guard exactly where it needs to be against the top carve on the edge between the pickup rings - and - just off the edge of the rings to avoid binding and squeak. The bracket sometimes needs to be bent just a hair to put the guard at the right angle to work this out. It's easy to do, takes just a little bit of fiddling.

The bracket needs to be pretty robust as this area gets a fair amount of playing pressure over time, yet needs to be easily adjusted. It's a time-tested design, not particularly crude given the strength requirement, and can be easily adjusted. These old designs actually work very well and aren't as easy to replace as it might appear.

Mr. Easton is right: The bracket on the OP's guitar was affixed with a bit too much torque. Some 3000 grit paper and a polish will smooth out the edges a bit. Playing wear will quickly exceed the cosmetic importance of this unless the guitar is more of a trophy than a music maker.

There is always PRS...
    Best post of the day and so very articulate - Bravo

Les Paul Forum Member

Look, I own four Gibsons. Quit being so defensive.
    The design of the pickguard is clumsy, period. The nut should not damage the top of the guitar. It's crude and it's mediocre. Gibson should have got on top of this eons ago.
    Every figured top Gibson Les Paul I own came to me without the pickguard attached as I don't like covering up highly figured maple tops , on my Les Paul Custom it came with the pickguard when I first purchased it as a kid and I often removed the pickguard for sh%^ and giggles . It's not a big deal to get Cardiac disease over it . Besides the visual appeal of not drilling for a pickguard on my Les Paul's I never liked how it felt for my hand hitting the guard as it just feels goofy to me when I am playing . I am more concerned with my playing the right notes and sounding good/right and getting good tone as that is the real reason I Love Gibson Les Paul's so much . The tone of those humbuckers blasting thru my Marshall 2555X's !