The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Les Paul Forum Member

Crack in finish underneath crew that holds pickgaurd to body on new Les Paul Standard

Just received my new Original Collection 50's Les Paul today. First off the guitar looks, plays and sounds amazing especially through my Marshall2203x into my 4x12 cab with Celestion Creambacks. I noticed the finished was cracked underneath the screw that holds the pick guard to the body.
    I know nitro is a pretty soft finish especially on a new guitar. Is this pretty common on new Les Pauls?
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lp56tv; 02-18-20 at 12:31 AM.

Re: Fit and Finish question on my new 2019 Gibson Original Collection 50's Les Paul

Really?
    The older I get, the better I was.

Les Paul Forum Member nhwildbill's Avatar

Re: Fit and Finish question on my new 2019 Gibson Original Collection 50's Les Paul

What Big Al said, the thing is can you live with it on a Guitar you seem to love?

Les Paul Forum Member

They're mostly all like that. Gibson have started to put a small felt washer underneath the bolt but it still presses into the surface and dents the finish. They need to use a longer bracket like they used to, and like Epiphone still do on their LPs. It's obvious that the nut is pressing into the body yet Gibson still churn them out like that.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunking101 View Post
    They're mostly all like that. Gibson have started to put a small felt washer underneath the bolt but it still presses into the surface and dents the finish. They need to use a longer bracket like they used to, and like Epiphone still do on their LPs. It's obvious that the nut is pressing into the body yet Gibson still churn them out like that.
    There is a felt washer under the pickgaurd to protect the top of the guitar. I was talking about the screw thats screwed into the side of the body.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lp56tv View Post
    There is a felt washer under the pickgaurd to protect the top of the guitar. I was talking about the screw thats screwed into the side of the body.
    Sorry mate, I didn't even look at your photo.
    No, that's unusual and not good at all. It's visible even with the bracket on.

Les Paul Forum Member

Sorry mate, I didn't even look at your photo.
    No, that's unusual and not good at all. It's visible even with the bracket on.
    Its actually not visible with the bracket on so that good.
    Part of me wants to keep it and the other part of me says I just paid $2500.00 for a new Les Paul I should be able to put my own dents and scratches in it.
    Last edited by lp56tv; 02-18-20 at 08:19 PM.

Les Paul Forum Member

Part of me wants to keep it and the other part of me says I just paid $2500.00 for a new Les Paul I should be able to put my own dents and scratches in it.
    That's good then, it looks like it would be visible even with the bracket attached. If you intend keeping the scratchplate on then you're good to go but yes, it's not nice knowing that there's some damage on your new, expensive axe.

From what I can see in the photo the crack is where the finish goes from the wood to overlapping the binding slightly. My 2016 standard has it in the cutaway, I wouldn’t worry about it, especially if the bracket covers it and you are happy with all other aspects of the guitar.

Would agree with the rest, its very superficial and has no bearing on the guitars ability and with any luck the guitar will live to see a lot worse over its long life.

That said, after spending 2500 quid on a guitar, its very annoying. Its even more annoying when you consider Japanese copies like tokai, bacchus, edwards can churn out guitars of exceptional quality, on a consistent basis.
    My tokai LS135, which is effectively an R9 replica is as flawless as Les Pauls come. the pickguard is fitted perfectly, doesnt leave a mark.

My 2019 50s Standard on the other hand has a small scratch in the exact same spot as your laquer crack. The hole was also bored a little lower than i expect on a Les paul, meaning the nut under the pickguard is quite close to the finish.
    Not a big deal, i dont use a pickguard anyway and its easily fixed by slightly bending the pickguard bracket, but on a 2500 quid guitar, these stupid mistakes shouldnt happen.

All that said, the gibson is still nicer to play than the tokai and it feels like it has more "mojo" if thats even a real thing.

The cost of having a gibson is the fact that they are far from consistent or perfect. perhaps that fact imbues them with something that adds to their appeal.

Keep it and maybe get a slight discount if you're lucky.

Bunch of overblown hubbub.

Yeah,that's fucked up.

My career has been in furniture for 30+ years now. If I sent something like that to a customer,I would fire myself. No excuses -- people pay money for brand new things and they deserve brand new things.

We know that our products are probably going to get beat up and knocked around some when they get to the end user right? Makes no difference to us! NONE!

If it isn't right,it doesn't ship. Ever.

Don't buy from me if you think "good enough" is good enough. It's not.
    Last edited by SpencerD; 02-23-20 at 11:04 PM.
    ​We Are The People We Have Been Waiting For

Sounds to me like you’re taking the thing apart to find issues with it. Play it and enjoy. If it still bothers you, hire a psychiatrist.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by uncajoey View Post
    Sounds to me like you’re taking the thing apart to find issues with it. Play it and enjoy. If it still bothers you, hire a psychiatrist.
    Just wanted to see what it looks like without the pickgaurd. My apologies. Put the guard back on and all is well. Already seeing a psychiatrist but thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerD View Post
    Yeah,that's fucked up.

My career has been in furniture for 30+ years now. If I sent something like that to a customer,I would fire myself. No excuses -- people pay money for brand new things and they deserve brand new things.

We know that our products are probably going to get beat up and knocked around some when they get to the end user right? Makes no difference to us! NONE!

If it isn't right,it doesn't ship. Ever.

Don't buy from me if you think "good enough" is good enough. It's not.
    Oh, so if I pop off a leg and find a mark in the glue it's flawed? Bunch of anal retentive hubbubers!

Les Paul Forum Member madformac's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Oh, so if I pop off a leg and find a mark in the glue it's flawed? Bunch of anal retentive hubbubers!

Gotta agree Al.

All modern Les Pauls with a pick guard will have an impression in the finish to some degree. When you screw a metal angular bracket against a soft plasticised finish it will always mark unless it's screwed so loose it doesn't grip. I've owned dozens of modern USA and Custom Shop Les Pauls and EVERY SINGLE ONE has press marks in the finish under the guard bracket. The finish is not hard as glass. Polyester finishes would be harder but I don't want that personally. If the marks are light you could have the finish buffed flat again but you still have the screw holes?

Guitar ownership never ceases to amaze me. We have people happy to pay $10K for a relic Strat that looks nothing like real wear and then we have the pristine brigade with the slightest blemishes causing concerns and distress. These are hand finished and relatively mass produced. They won't send everything back for a respray for small finish issues.

Modern nitro marks easily. If you can push your fingernail in and make a mark then screwed on metal will do it. As Al says, you are not supposed to see under the bracket. PRS don't use pick guards on the carved tops probably to avoid such issues.

Les Paul Forum Member

Im over it

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by uncajoey View Post
    You're accepting mediocrity and defending bad workmanship.
    The pickguard and its bracket are an extremely poor design. Quite why they can send out elaborately painted and finished guitars with this shoddy contraption knowingly damaging the surface is beyond me. The crude nut and bolt need to be kept further away from the guitar's body by way of a longer bracket. Epiphone manage this so why don't Gibson??
    Just look at the healthy gap between the bolt and top of the guitar in this photo I took of a 2020 Epiphone Les Paul hanging on the racks. Gibson know that some people remove the pickguard and even if they don't there should be no damage underneath. It's nothing like removing a table leg and complaining about a mark that's hidden by the leg like a previous poster remarked.

Les Paul Forum Member Texas Blues's Avatar

The pickguard and its bracket are an extremely poor design. Quite why they can send out elaborately painted and finished guitars with this shoddy contraption knowingly damaging the surface is beyond me. The crude nut and bolt need to be kept further away from the guitar's body by way of a longer bracket. Epiphone manage this so why don't Gibson??
    Just look at the healthy gap between the bolt and top of the guitar in this photo I took of a 2020 Epiphone Les Paul hanging on the racks. Gibson know that some people remove the pickguard and even if they don't there should be no damage underneath. It's nothing like removing a table leg and complaining about a mark that's hidden by the leg like a previous poster remarked.

Well then.

You should just stick to Epiphone.

Since they are superior.

Really? Well hell there is a flippin screw hole ON THE FACE of the guitar when you REMOVE the pickguard,[something Gibson doesn't support. Pickguard protects finish],.

Why oh why do we endure these indignaties? OMG!! I just unscrewed the truss rod cover and took it off, you know to look kewell and check the workmanship and wouldn't you know it, 2 flippin screw holes!!!!! AND THE TRUSS ROD NUT WAS NOT EVENLY PAINTED!!! NOR WAS THE ROUT FINISH RUBBE OUT AND POLISHED!!!!!! WTF!!!!!

Yes I'm agahst!, agog with outrage! Just saddens me, ...... to read such ignorant drivel. Yes indeed just buy an Epiphoney and spare me the hubbub, bub.

To the op, brother what you see on new guitars is the slight surface marring of fresh lacquer that has a metal bracket screwed against it. You could rub that out easily, if you wanted, not a crack. You would see the exact same thing on an Epiphoney if they had nitro lacquer instead of a super thick plastic poly finish.

Les Paul Forum Member

Really? Well hell there is a flippin screw hole ON THE FACE of the guitar when you REMOVE the picguard. Why oh why do we endure these indignaties? OMG!! I just unscrewed the truss rod cover and took it off, you know to look kewell and check the workmanship and wouldn't you know it, 2 flippin screw holes!!!!! AND THE TRUSS ROD NUT WAS NOT EVENLY PAINTED!!! NOR WAS THE ROUT FINISH RUBBE OUT AND POLISHED!!!!!! WTF!!!!!

Yes I'm agahst!, agog with outrage! Just saddens me, ...... to read such ignorant drivel. Yes indeed just buy an Epiphoney and spare me the hubbub, bub.

To the op, brother what you see on new guitars is the slight surface marring of fresh lacquer that has a metal bracket screwed against it. You could rub that out easily, if you wanted, not a crack. You would see the exact same thing on an Epiphoney if they had nitro lacquer instead of a super thick plastic poly finish.
    Yes I realize that now. It did come with a felt pad that protects the topside of the guitar so thats good.

Yes I realize that now. It did come with a felt pad that protects the topside of the guitar so thats good.
    Yeah, nut bite has happened since day one in '52. That won't rub out and I wasn't thinkin' you were talkin' about that. Gibson doesn't intend that the pickguard be removed. When we do, it's on us and that little bracket marr will pale next to the damage to tops finish.

Les Paul Forum Member

Really? Well hell there is a flippin screw hole ON THE FACE of the guitar when you REMOVE the pickguard,[something Gibson doesn't support. Pickguard protects finish],.

Why oh why do we endure these indignaties? OMG!! I just unscrewed the truss rod cover and took it off, you know to look kewell and check the workmanship and wouldn't you know it, 2 flippin screw holes!!!!! AND THE TRUSS ROD NUT WAS NOT EVENLY PAINTED!!! NOR WAS THE ROUT FINISH RUBBE OUT AND POLISHED!!!!!! WTF!!!!!

I don't own any Epiphones. On my two Gibson LPs which came with factory fitted pickguards neither have any blemishes in the nitro where the bracket attaches so there goes that theory of yours. No cracks, no marks, just a screwhole.

As for just blindly accepting flaws in high value items, that's your choice. I take them back for a refund and get one that isn't flawed. I do however put up with the dent that the pickguard nut and bolt leave because sadly they're all like that. I bought a 2019 Traditional that came with the pickguard in the case, it was unattached and there were no screwholes in the guitar. That guitar has zero flaws. My LP Custom and Standard I live with the pickguard flaws but there's still no excuse for it. Gibson should quit with the clumsy way they attach these pickguards.

Les Paul Forum Member

Bunch of overblown hubbub.
    Now Henry, you don't work for Gibson anymore so just move along........

I don't own any Epiphones. On my two Gibson LPs which came with factory fitted pickguards neither have any blemishes in the nitro where the bracket attaches so there goes that theory of yours. No cracks, no marks, just a screwhole.

As for just blindly accepting flaws in high value items, that's your choice. I take them back for a refund and get one that isn't flawed. I do however put up with the dent that the pickguard nut and bolt leave because sadly they're all like that. I bought a 2019 Traditional that came with the pickguard in the case, it was unattached and there were no screwholes in the guitar. That guitar has zero flaws. My LP Custom and Standard I live with the pickguard flaws but there's still no excuse for it. Gibson should quit with the clumsy way they attach these pickguards.
    Don't buy a Gibson Les Paul. They had a screwless pickguard. Everyone bitched about it. People want traditionaly built Les Pauls. Don't buy an American icon and bitch on the tradition. Can't have it both ways. WTF! They just went through hell because of modernising them and restored a more vintage correct build that most people want, with the core series, but hey, you know better.

Les Paul Forum Member

Don't buy a Gibson Les Paul. They had a screwless pickguard. Everyone bitched about it. People want traditionaly built Les Pauls. Don't buy an American icon and bitch on the tradition. Can't have it both ways. WTF! They just went through hell because of modernising them and restored a more vintage correct build that most people want, with the core series, but hey, you know better.

Like I said, if you're cool with mediocrity then so be it. They should redesign the clumsy pickguard. It will still look exactly the same! Just put a slightly longer bracket on which flares the guard higher off the body. Oh and use a shorter bolt and thinner nut. This isn't rocket science, Gibson should have done it years ago.

I bought two 2019 Gibson's a Goldtop with P90's and and SG Special last year and a 2018 SG. All 3 were perfect. I would not let the issue you have keep me from enjoying the guitar.

Could have happened during shipping. it might have been soft nitro, line worker tightened it a little too snug. Put the pickguard back on it and play it. 6 months from now, you'll have forgotten all about it.

If that's the only issue and you like the guitar, don't worry about it. Life is too short to worry over piddley stuff.
    But it goes to ELEVEN !!

Yes, the Epi bracket is higher but when you bang down on the pickguard, it will still probably mark the finish. I've put felt washers under my pickguards since 1977. It's not an issue, it's not mediocrity. Even a 95K Ferrari has issues. Life is too short to worry about PIDDLEY stuff.
    But it goes to ELEVEN !!

Like I said, if you're cool with mediocrity then so be it. They should redesign the clumsy pickguard. It will still look exactly the same! Just put a slightly longer bracket on which flares the guard higher off the body. Oh and use a shorter bolt and thinner nut. This isn't rocket science, Gibson should have done it years ago.
    Sunking, let me point out to you that Big Al has over 13,000 posts. He goes way back to the Henry - era and probably beyond. Guys like Al, me, it's been there done that. I can tell you personally that after owning brand new Gibson's from the mid 70's until now, the quality of the 2019 / 2020 Gibson guitars is outstanding. If you want perfection, forget it, a man made object will never be perfect. Stop talking about mediocrity. You have no concepty of what TRUE mediocrity is.
    But it goes to ELEVEN !!

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Coachmoe View Post
    Sunking, let me point out to you that Big Al has over 13,000 posts. He goes way back to the Henry - era and probably beyond. Guys like Al, me, it's been there done that. I can tell you personally that after owning brand new Gibson's from the mid 70's until now, the quality of the 2019 / 2020 Gibson guitars is outstanding. If you want perfection, forget it, a man made object will never be perfect. Stop talking about mediocrity. You have no concepty of what TRUE mediocrity is.
    Look, I own four Gibsons. Quit being so defensive.
    The design of the pickguard is clumsy, period. The nut should not damage the top of the guitar. It's crude and it's mediocre. Gibson should have got on top of this eons ago.

Look, I own four Gibsons. Quit being so defensive.
    The design of the pickguard is clumsy, period. The nut should not damage the top of the guitar. It's crude and it's mediocre. Gibson should have got on top of this eons ago.
    So says you. I can nit pick and "improve" every single part of any guitar. The guitar was designed in early 50's borrowing on existing archtop guitars to create a Gibson quality solid body. Back then pickguards were not intended to be removed, as it protects a vulnerable area from nail and pick damage while offering an optimal angle to use as a finger rest. They could have screwed it directly to the top, eliminating the bracket, but the used a modified archtop bracket.

Now if you remove it, you deal with it, it wasn't meant to, and the pickguard shadow, screw holes, lacquer impressions and occasional nut bite are to be expected, and desired by some, but are nothing compared to how it will appear if you play it often enough. You'll never see a nut bite after finger and pick wear remove any trace.

You seem to think that you can build a better Paul, what with all your mediocre declarations, so how did such talent escape HJ's attention? You would have fit right in.

Bitchin' about a vintage part or build on the most authentic classic vintage Standard since 1960, except for Custom Shop Reissues, guitars marketed as a return to a vintage "Core Series" shows a personal mediocrity and high levels of Hubbubery. You might want to get a shot or somethin before it becomes terminal.

Les Paul Forum Member

So says you. I can nit pick and "improve" every single part of any guitar. The guitar was designed in early 50's borrowing on existing archtop guitars to create a Gibson quality solid body. Back then pickguards were not intended to be removed, as it protects a vulnerable area from nail and pick damage while offering an optimal angle to use as a finger rest. They could have screwed it directly to the top, eliminating the bracket, but the used a modified archtop bracket.

Now if you remove it, you deal with it, it wasn't meant to, and the pickguard shadow, screw holes, lacquer impressions and occasional nut bite are to be expected, and desired by some, but are nothing compared to how it will appear if you play it often enough. You'll never see a nut bite after finger and pick wear remove any trace.

You seem to think that you can build a better Paul, what with all your mediocre declarations, so how did such talent escape HJ's attention? You would have fit right in.

Bitchin' about a vintage part or build on the most authentic classic vintage Standard since 1960, except for Custom Shop Reissues, guitars marketed as a return to a vintage "Core Series" shows a personal mediocrity and high levels of Hubbubery. You might want to get a shot or somethin before it becomes terminal.

If you want to get all 'period correct' then let them destroy the tops of reissues and historics with the inferior pickguard attachment but the rest of us deserve something better. This could have been improved DECADES ago by having a slightly larger bracket, a slightly smaller bolt and a slightly thinner nut. The pickguard to all intents and purposes would look IDENTICAL, it just wouldn't damage the top of the guitar.

However much you try to defend it there is absolutely no excuse for such a crude pickguard assembly on these expensive guitars. If Epiphone can get it right then Gibson should too. There's no point squeezing a bit of felt under the nut because the felt itself will leave a dent or impression in the top of the guitar. There is simply not enough room underneath the nut & bolt and it needs sorting. Whether people remove their pickguards or not there is no excuse for this damage. None whatsoever.

If you want to get all 'period correct' then let them destroy the tops of reissues and historics with the inferior pickguard attachment but the rest of us deserve something better. This could have been improved DECADES ago by having a slightly larger bracket, a slightly smaller bolt and a slightly thinner nut. The pickguard to all intents and purposes would look IDENTICAL, it just wouldn't damage the top of the guitar.

However much you try to defend it there is absolutely no excuse for such a crude pickguard assembly on these expensive guitars. If Epiphone can get it right then Gibson should too. There's no point squeezing a bit of felt under the nut because the felt itself will leave a dent or impression in the top of the guitar. There is simply not enough room underneath the nut & bolt and it needs sorting. Whether people remove their pickguards or not there is no excuse for this damage. None whatsoever.
    Stick to Epiphoney's. Buy HP or Modern versions. Your argument lacks merit and your opinion carries no weight.

Bathed in ignorance and wrapped up in sanctimonious slatherings of simpletonian suggestery, for your's is truly the voice in the wilderness, I can hear it echoing in the distance, rising from some dank swampy place, hub bub, hub bub, hub bub, hub bub, nothing but hub bub, bud.

Les Paul Forum Member

A lot of the more cherished, loved and best sounding guitars have broken necks and are full of scratches, dings, cracks and even holes and crazy mods and you are worried about such a tiny nitro crack. Think about it and how that sounds in your head.

I always complained that Gibson should never put the pickguard and let the owner decides, but just because the pickguard should be a personal choice and if you don’t want it you shouldn’t have two holes you didn’t asked for.

Removed the pickguard on my 2006 R8 for the first time ever... Guess what? There's a mark in the laquer from the pickguard bracket, and now I can't "unknow" it...

Well, it's full of dings and scratches anyway... On with the show (and the pickguard.)!

If you want nitro and a pickguard with a metal mounting bracket, it’ll mark the finish where the bracket attaches to the body. No matter how long is the bracket. Heck, sometimes the plastic output jack plate marks the finish. That’s just nitro being nitro.

As for the top, the felted nut approach is working, so why redesign something that’s working. With that said, the nut the holds the pickguard to the bracket on both my R9 and R0 had a healthy clearance from the top, granted not as huge as the picture of this Epiphone. My first standard 50s was before the felted nut and had a ding so small that I had to use a magnifying glass to see it. Sold that Standard to get something else, then regretted it so I returned the something else and go another Standard 50s. My current Standard came with the felt. I absolute love that guitar. I’m a pickguard off guy, though for some reason I kept it on my Standard.

These guitars are amazing. To say they have mediocre workmanship is just ludicrous. I currently own 3 Gibson Custom Les Pauls (R9, R0 and Special), yet my Standard gets plenty play time.

Les Paul Forum Member Elliot Easton's Avatar

To me, it looks like an overtightened screw. Lots of pickguard cracks and these type of indentations are caused that way.
    "A little bit of knowledge can be a very dangerous thing."

Les Paul Forum Member Texas Blues's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Easton View Post
    To me, it looks like an overtightened screw. Lots of pickguard cracks and these type of indentations are caused that way.
    Damn you Mr. Easton.

I am sick and tired of you having common sense!

Les Paul Forum Member

If you removed the pickguard on my very first Gibson Les Paul Custom you would see and feel the mark from the screw/bolt /bracket thing holding the pickguard . You know what the pickguard is on there and I don't like at it(the mark ) as the pickguard is there and it's not a big deal to me as it's out of sight and out of mind . Now on my figured R9's, and R8's -no pickguards as I am not covering up the figured maple . This is really nonsense , either deal with it with or without the pickguard mounted or get another guitar . Who cares what Epiphone does . It's all about historical accuracy as that's what true Les Paul enthusiast want !