• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Wiring harness in current Custom/Historic LP’s (2018-2020)

Anthonyl

Hey guys,

When changing out the Custombuckers, are you guys still swapping out the wiring harness for one from Throbak, Creamtone, Jonesy Blues, etc... or sticking with the stock version? When I changed the pups in my ‘16 R8, I just automatically swapped out the harness. Is that still the case these days?

Big Al

I've never felt the need to automatically swap out the wiring harness on any of my Historics and see no compelling reason why on any new one.

El Gringo

I agree with you Big Al , as Gibson Custom is now using good paper in oil caps and good pots . Gibson Custom has improved the harness .

Tommy Tourbus

They made the change to correct pots and PIO caps in 2019, so for 2018 models you can make an argument for making the swap

Dylanfan424

First off I would never get rid of the custombuckers in my R7 as they sound glorious, but I did change the pots to vintage inspired pots, to give it the vintage centralab taper and some NOS milspec .022 paper in oil caps. My suggestion is play the guitar a lot before deciding to change pickups, it’s a 7000 dollar guitar it really needs nothing changed.