• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Les Paul Custom 1981

mariushoog

Thinking about pulling the trigger on a 81 Custom. Owner claims it's stock, with ttops. Guitar looks decent and have not played it yet, but will do soon. Any thoughts on 81 Customs, things to look for etc. Help is much appreciated.

R8 Flame Top

I had a 81 Custom and it was a great guitar. I wish I had never sold it. If you can check it out just make sure you like the way it sounds and plays.

feelthedarkness

I've got one. I believe '81 is the last year before the start of the transition years leading back to carved tops and eventually mahogany necks. Neck feels great, maybe slightly chunkier than medium and a little bit wide feeling. Plays great and weighs a hair under 10 lbs. I love mine!

stephan_l

Not enough info to help you with THIS ´81 custom. I guess, you will see when u play it :hmm

I think, around this time customs came with Shaw pickups, not ttops. But like most things, this maybe not written in stone :) Weight can eventually bother you, but not EVERY custom around ´81 is heavy like a car full of bricks.....i mean, around 4,5kg would be very cool. More is........puuuuuh :## Matter of taste or if you are build like Arnold or not......

Soundwise MY custom has fucking great sustain and a cool rock sound with the Shaw pickups in it. Its not a historic for sure, but still a very cool playing and sounding guitar. Over the years i found more love for larger, fat neck profiles. Only reason why i didn´t play the custom that often. But when i do, its nice fo a change and fun to do :dude:

Big Al

Not the pat. app. for reissue pickup known as Shaws. Ttops or the 480 which the Ttop became when the bobbins changed over to paf bobbin used on all humbuckers on 81 Customs as written in stone. The 480 is the same spec as the Ttop.

mariushoog

Guys, tks for the input. Due to the corona limitations, it took a while before I had the chance to actually play the guitar. It was definately not in the shape seller told me it was, and it was set-up so poorly that it was impossible to get a good feel. Decided to let this one pass.