• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1970? SG Standard

Emiel

Hi,

I recently got this SG Standard from a friend. The frets were nearly non-existent so I had it fitted with new Jescar 47104's. At one point it had the obvious neck crack. The guitar is completely original apart from the frets. Have to say it plays and sounds real nice now.

Any idea from what year it is? The logo has the closed o's and the dotted i. It has a small neck volute. Serial number is 922047. The pot codes are hard to read, xxx52. My limited knowledge (based on Google) says early 1970?

Plus, the tremolo arm is missing, any tips on where to get one in Europe?

D8J6FUU.jpg

2VqDJEw.jpg

d976LvY.jpg

garywright

I’m no expert but think you’re probably correct with your early 70 date ...I have one that’s similar but lacks the Made In USA stamp ...mine had EMGs along with pot swap mods ..I put 550k pots with a pair of early rs/fralin True 60s pups ..it’s an awesome guitar and has a really beefy/round neck shape..just picked up mine a couple months ago

Emiel

I’m no expert but think you’re probably correct with your early 70 date ...I have one that’s similar but lacks the Made In USA stamp ...mine had EMGs along with pot swap mods ..I put 550k pots with a pair of early rs/fralin True 60s pups ..it’s an awesome guitar and has a really beefy/round neck shape..just picked up mine a couple months ago

EMG’s.. properly made it a great guitar for metal :hank

I’m loving the pickups (T-Tops) a bit more aggressive than your average PAF. Really nice for just about anything.

Emiel

Thought I'd give an update.

I've got a replacement Maestro 'sawtooth' tremolo arm from Crazyparts. It fits in beautifully and works just fine. Not unlike a Bigsby I would say.

The ABR bridge has collapsed over the years so a Faber was bought to replace it. I didn't notice much difference in terms of sound but it improved the string action noticeably.

These small changes really turned the SG in a great playing and sounding guitar. It stays in tune remarkably well and I'm really loving the sound of the T-Top pickups.

The next/final thing is to clean the tuners and loosen them up a bit. Some are quite stiff but luckily there are tons of guides how to fix this.

RpD1vMF.jpg